dots and stripes on a 112 ?!?

I am a newby collector of Buck knives and prefer collecting the Buck 112 and 500

I am looking to add one nice 112 FG and ordinary 112, but can't seem to find out what would be the best to go for..
There are 1, 2, 3, 4, non-dots and some have the solid wood scales instead of the laminated (striped) scales..

Anybody that can shed some light on the 112 dot variations and which have solid scales and which have the laminated scales?

Here you go. You are going to get many differing opinions on the subject. Many prefer the older models for various reasons, nostalga being one of them.

In my opinion, the newer models with the radiused handles and bolsters are by far the most comfortable in actual use. The resin impregnated laminated handle material "should" be more impervious to moisture due to the way its constructed and is very handsome. The 420HC in the newer versions is a great and highly respected blade steel that is far easier in my opinion to sharpen than the 440C for the average user with less than expert sharpening skills.

However, I see that you didn't ask for opinions, just facts, so here's what you asked for:

"112 Spec Sheet

Introduced May, 1972 as the “little brother” to the very popular #110 Folding Hunter.
• Folding rear lockback.
• 3.25” Stainless steel blade, hollow ground.
• Brass bolsters and frame.
• All other specifications are included in the following variation descriptions.

CATEGORY I: 1972
VERSION I:
• Mark side blade stamp, BUCK, USA
• Black Micarta inlays
• 440C Stainless steel blade
• Two small brass inlay rivets, 1/16” diameter
• Stainless steel rocker rivet
• Brass spacer/spring holder
VERSION II:
• Same as Version I, but spacer/spring holder changed to stainless steel.

CATERGORY II: 1972-1974
VERSION I:
• Mark side blade stamp, BUCK, 112, USA
• Stainless Steel rocker rivet
• Black Micarta inlays
• Two, small brass inlay rivets
• Stainless steel spacer/spring holder
VERSION II:
• Same as Version I, but inlays changed to Sequa Wood
VERSION III:
• Same as Version I, but inlays changed to Macasar ebony.

CATEGORY III: 1974-1980
VERSION I:
• Mark side blade stamp, BUCK, *112*, USA
• Macasar ebony inlays
• A single dot on each side of the model number tang stamp indicate an internal change in the shape of the blade tang.
• Two, small brass inlay rivets
VERSION II:
• Same as Version I, but inlay rivets now number four.
VERSION III:
• Same as Version I, but inlay rivets now number three.
VERSION IV:
• Same as Version I, but inlay rivets number three, and are larger, measuring 1/8” in diameter

CATEGORY IV: 1980-1981
VERSION I:
• Mark side stamp, BUCK, *112**, USA
• Three, large brass inlay rivets
• Macasar ebony inlays
• The third dot added after the model number on the tang stamp indicates the design modification involving the addition of a bushing to the hinge pin.
VERSION II:
• Same as Version I, but the nail notch was added to the spine of the blade.
VERSION III:
• Same as Version II, but handles and bolsters have slightly radiused (hand radiused) edges. No radius of thumb depression area of rear bolster where lock bar is accessed.

CATEGORY V: 1981-1986
VERSION I:
• Mark side blade stamp, BUCK, **112**, USA
• Three, large brass inlay rivets
• Fully radiused handles and bolsters introduced, but some production still used previous hand radiusing.
• Macasar ebony inlays
• 425 Modified stainless steel balde
• Fourth dot added after the model number on the tang stamp indicates the design modification involving the change of blade steel to 425 Modified stainless steel.

1986 TO PRESENT VARIATIONS:
• Dots no longer used in the model number of the tang stamp. Rather, a year mark is used after the model number which indicates the year of manufacture. The only exception is for the year 2000, when the model number was completely left off the tang stamp, and an anvil was put in its place.
• In about 1981, the finger grooved handle was introduced.
• In 1994, the blade steel was changed to 420 HC stainless steel
• In ???? , the handle inlays were changed to a wood grain laminate material.

This article covers primarily standard factory production Folding Rangers. Many other variations exist that were made as special order, Custom Shop, Limited Edition, and as employee service awards. They involve the use of a variety of materials for handle inlays, different blade steels and the use of nickel silver for the frame and bolsters. David Yellowhorse designs of the Folding Ranger exist. It is not uncommon to come across a Folding Ranger, or Folding Hunter, that has had its frame, handles and bolsters radically thinned out by the use of a belt sander and then polishing. Many a BUCK employee actually did this to their personal knife. It is rumored that it was done to make pocket carry lighter since wearing the knife in a sheath on one’s belt in a machine shop could prove to be dangerous. “Thinning” out of 110’s and 112’s became popular during the 1970’s. One could even find articles in sporting/science/motorcycle publications that detailed how to make the modifications.

SHEATHS

The Folding Ranger has always been sold with a sheath. The earliest knives had sheaths made of two pieces of black leather sewn together, with a belt loop sewn on the back. Typical pouch design sheaths. BUCK was stamped on the top flap, and BUCK was stamped across the snap which secured it. The earliest sheaths had no model number markings on them. They were slimmer, and the top piece of leather constructing the pouch was cur higher on the frame of the knife. In addition, the belt loop was sewn just below the top of the closed flap.

Subsequent sheaths were also two piece black leather. They were wider. BUCK was still stamped on the flap, and on the snap. “112” was stamped on the rear of the sheath, below the bottom of the belt loop. The top piece of the leather pouch was cut lower on the frame of the knife, making it easier to grip the knife to remove it. The top of the belt loop was sewn very high on the back of the sheath, usually with its top being above the top of the closed sheath’s flap. My personal theory is that BUCK, who at the time was sewing its own sheaths, using the same belt loop for both the Folding Hunter and the Folding Ranger.

Brown leather sheaths were introduced with the finger grooved model in 1988.

Later model knives saw sheaths still constructed of leather, black for standard models and brown for the finger grooved version. Still two piece, but the top piece of leather constructing the pouch was cut higher on the knife’s frame, the belt loop was sewn down lower on the back of the sheath, and BUCK was stamped both on the flap, and all the way around the diameter of the snap. Current manufacture sheaths are leather, fold-over designs with one stitch line, an uneven flap and a brass snap with BUCK stamped all the way around its diameter. The new BUCK logo is stamped on the flap.

Other sheaths are possible. Examples include; natural colored leather, custom “holster” style sheaths, flaps stamped with different names that were included with knives manufactured as special orders, and cordura nylon.

BOXES

All Folding Rangers up to approximately 1988 came in the old style yellow boxes. I have also heard their color described as tan, or cream colored. Early on they were a two piece design. Later they became a one piece design with a flap closure.

Subsequent manufactured knives came in a variety of boxes including black and green/tan. Standard cardboard boxes, with opening flaps at both ends. Current manufactured knives come in a white box with highlights of red, yellow, blue and green. The different colors represent BUCK’S merchandising system identifying the type of knife by the color. Some current knives have boxes that are yellow with BUCK KNIVES written all over them in black lettering.

Folding Rangers also have been sold in plastic clam packs.

The boxes have always been packed with paperwork. That paperwork has included warranty information and registration, “Use and Care” instructions, and the famous “Message from Al BUCK”, which recognizes GOD as the Senior Partner of BUCK KNIVES INC.

Dave, Thanks for posting him all this info.. The handle inlays went to laminate in 1994. So, if it has laminated handles is also has 420HC steel. Read the info. look at some of the models and decide for yourself. DM

What's the source on this info, Plumberdv?

Brown leather sheaths were introduced with the finger grooved model in 1988.

That might need a little clarification, since there are quite a few Three-Dot FG 112s (1980 blade) out there with brown sheaths (though I do have one that came with a black sheath).

I am a newby collector of Buck knives and prefer collecting the Buck 112 and 500

I am looking to add one nice 112 FG and ordinary 112, but can't seem to find out what would be the best to go for..
There are 1, 2, 3, 4, non-dots and some have the solid wood scales instead of the laminated (striped) scales..

Anybody that can shed some light on the 112 dot variations and which have solid scales and which have the laminated scales?

My advice would be to go for the 112 Three-Dot FG if you can find one......while you're waiting (may take a while) get yourself a Four-Dot FG.

I like the looks of the Three and Four-Dot FG 112s best of all. The Three-Dot will be 440C steel and the Four-Dot will be 425M, but these are all good looking knives with fine workmanship.

Have fun.

All the info I gave is from the BCCI's, model history of the 112. I didn't reference the sticky at the top of this forum because it makes no mention of the steel types and doesn't have as much detail as what I posted. I saw that the BCCI version is a bit out dated, the foldover sheath is listed as "current" at the time it was written. However, I felt there was no need to nitpick over sheath types.

This was at the bottom of the data but there's no mention of who the "author" is or was.

"The details and information contained in this article are a result of this author’s research into the Folding Ranger. Some of the sources employed include, Vern Taylor’s Folding Hunter timeline, and Joe Houser’s article on the Folding Ranger from the September 2002 edition, Vol. XV, No. 3."

I did forget to post a date chart showing the "stripes" and markings other than dots, so here it is:

DateCodemousepad.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info! I just managed to make an offer of $75 on a 112 FG 4-dot which was accepted by the seller. I think it might be a good deal presuming there is another 4-dot 12 FG on Ebay for $175 ! see my purchase at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180939731570

Just a few more questions on this:

1) Is the steel on the 1,2,3 dot considered better than the steel type on the 4 dot? (what pro/cons)
2) Which Buck 112 classics are considered the holy grail? (most valuable/rare) I see some (in micarta?) fetch $175 and others just around $50
3) some Buck 112 have the sort of equivalent steel to the BOS heat treated steel I have heard, which are these?

Thanks,

Erik

The grail 112 is the 1st version 1st variation only took 1 1/2 years to find and was new in the box but 40 years of storage took its toll. $6.95 and a little work from Joe H and the crew and this is what it looks like now enjoy your Buck Hunting it is a very interesting hunt and good luck and you could not find a better bunch of guys and gals to help you out then here in the Buck Forum

P7300293.jpg

P7300168.jpg

There are probably a few "grail" 112s around, because there are different variations and oddities favored by collectors and some are very rare.

The one Nutoknives mentions is maybe the best known and surely one to watch for.

As for the steel in your Four-Dot......it's a great steel and very similar to the current 420HC steel. The 440C is more highly regarded, but your 425M is still excellent. It has the BOS heat treat.

I see there's a problem with the snap on the sheath you got......some kind soul from here might be able to help you on that. I don't know how fixable it is.

I think you'll like your Four-Dotter a lot.

:)

The snap is replaceable. Not sure why it is always the bottom that comes apart. Have a guy at work that I bring mine (ones I buy of the bay) to and he replaces it. You could try a shoe repair place.

After buying and paying for the auction of the 112 FG I noticed soe scrathes on the edge of the blade in one of the pictures. As if someone tried a poor attempt to sharpen it. Had not noticed it before because the auction mentions "never used, original factory edge/perfect"
Wonder if a Spa treatment would do any good or just a shapening by Buck?

As EDBEAU suggested, I will take the sheath to a shoe repair to fix it..

2 dots & 3 dot models have 440C steel. Your 4 dot has 425M steel but yours has finger grooves, a nice feature. When your 112 arrives and you notice the scratches, Buck's Spa treatment can easily take them out and sharpen it at little cost. Something to consider. Hope you like your model. DM

Skinnybones you will more then appreciate what the Spa can do if you look at my post of the returning Beauties the 3rd version 3rd variation was absolutely a mess and it is amazing what Buck can do for $6.95 with them shipping the knife back good luck and enjoy your new knife Good looking knife

After buying and paying for the auction of the 112 FG I noticed soe scrathes on the edge of the blade in one of the pictures. As if someone tried a poor attempt to sharpen it. Had not noticed it before because the auction mentions "never used, original factory edge/perfect"
Wonder if a Spa treatment would do any good or just a sharpening by Buck?

If you want Buck to take scratches out of the blade you need to request that specifically and clearly on the note you send to them. As in, "All blade scratches removed."

Thanks for all the advise, I asked the seller about the scratches and he said the knife and blade were Mint. According to him the picture could show fingermarks from him handling the knife. So a Spa might not be needed after all, will check upon arrival. Strange how some sweat can look like scrathes in an image though..

If your going to spend close to a $100.00 or more on a 112,well,don't think dots, think stag! Or any of your favorite handle material...If you shop hard and are not in a big hurry you can find a really,really nice collectible 112.Like drop point? There out there.So is S30V,chip flint or even a rare few BG42 blades.I don't have one of them yet, I just need to find the trade stock with ITE...

Thanks BUCKSWAY, but I have some stags, s30V's, droppoints, mastodon, Leroy Remer, DY, BCCI, chipflints versions (about 25 different versions so far), but still lacked an older type with solid wood scales! For comparison a current 112 FG would set me back over $100 in Europe (my homebase is Holland), so an older 4-dot 112 FG for $75 seemed a good deal to me..

WOW! Nice collection of 112's! We are lucky that over here prices run lower and shipping is less too..As to the 'Grail' 112...Hmmm...A top ten would be a re-blade with BG42..A hundred or so blades were made and the way it worked is you sent in ANY 112 and $35.00 and Buck made it.I have seen 2 that were regular solid wood, non-radiused frames like you are looking for...Also a pic of FIVE,that's 5, Five..in one pic!A few models with etched and/or gold blades and regular wood handles..Most all rare 112's are fancy one way or the other.

Nut, You have a nice looking 112. Thats one of my top favorite models. It has most of what I like. DM

One answeer I did not manage to read in all the replies is when the scales went from solid to laminated, was this 1986?

Back