Double Bit Felling Axe

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by richstag, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Locust has both great strength and elasticity. It would be a good choice.

2. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    Thank you! I actually have to take down some 40 year old locust fence posts soon. Would these be better than going and cutting live locust? Unfortunately I just split and burned all of my dried black locust. I feel like an idiot about that now.

Thanks.

3. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    At 40 years old there might still be good wood in those post. Locust is renowned for being weather resistant (like cedar). Only use them if you can get an large enough piece of completely sound wood. Otherwise go for a green piece. I like to rough out a handle blank while it's green and then let it dry for a month or two before finishing it. If you're in a reasonably dry climate it won't take long for a blank to dry. And some people are having success hanging axes on totally green wood.

4. Coloradoman24

Coloradoman24

Nov 3, 2012
    Any axe with a stamp of letter or number is worth keeping

5. Coloradoman24

Coloradoman24

Nov 3, 2012
    I should say as long as it doesn't say china or any other country that is not know for good axe

6. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    That is great to hear! the 48 is stamped into the side.

I think I am going to treat this one well and get it fixed up. If its decent that is good enough and its pretty cool it was my dad's for so many years.

Thanks guys, I just got back in town and busy, but I will post some updates as I get a chance and I am truly thankful for the help!

Kevin

7. der_vincent

der_vincent

Dec 9, 2011
    Hey Buddies,

i really like the GRÄNSFORS BRUKS current double bit axe. Here is a short video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytl-ctLI7WY

By the way, the axe heade of the GB Throwing axe and the GB doublebit Felling axe is exactly the same. Onyl difference on the Thrwoing axe is the shorter 29" handle, compared to the 35" handle of the Felling axe.

Cheers
    Erik

8. Zymologist

Zymologist

May 21, 2012
    Rich,

I recently have been in your similar situation with re hafting an axe for the first time and all that and I'll warn you after I did one I ended up doing 3 in one week. Its fun!

Its funny your looking for a double bit cause this weekend I found my first at a local flea market a double bit 4# Plumb and its my first double. Its lost some life on the one bit but it'll serve me well enough and for only $15. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the double bit I just have to order a handle now.

9. der_vincent

der_vincent

Dec 9, 2011
    Hi Richstag,

good luck for your axe Project ... you will get a nice axe in the end :)

hey, i would consider GRANSFORS a thrower as well as a serious user in the forest...

just check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtL1ANGhSDY

cheers
    Vincent

10. DarthTaco123

DarthTaco123

Mar 28, 2013
    I havn't used beech or locust, but I've made two or three out of maple and had great success. I actually have another Maple curing right now because this time of year the bark peels off like butter. Oak I imagine will work great for a handle as well.