Doug Ritter Hogue - Is the hype true..?

after a couple of years of use, i found one deficiency in the Hogue Ritter. I was out in the woods and went to start a fire with my fire kit. the knife has a rounded spine which is dumb for a knife marketed as a survival knife. luckily i had my David Mary custom in LC200n in the backpack. it sent sparks like a flamethrower.

My Hogue Ritter will get a firesteel notch next time i am at our makerspace.

Last edited:
I have a recent habit of recessing knife handle mount surfaces for deep carry clips. I had to try it with the Ritter.

The deep clip now sits about the same height or lower than a standard Benchmade clip. :thumbsup:

gV30Auo.jpg
This is nicely done. The clip seems to be the major sore spot on these pieces, and this simply addresses that sore spot... well, spot on.

My compliments to the Chef.

In my mind, what sets the/my Doug Ritter (RSK MK-1 Full-Size with Cuscadi scales) apart, from other similar B.M.'s, is the blade geometry (high Saber-Grind and relatively thin behind the edge for a B.M.).

In my mind, what sets the/my Doug Ritter (RSK MK-1 Full-Size with Cuscadi scales) apart, from other similar B.M.'s, is the blade geometry (high Saber-Grind and relatively thin behind the edge for a B.M.).

Agree. I don't understand why Hogue/Ritter makes the knife thicker behind the edge than Ritter Griptilian. I feel even BM Super Freak is thinner behind the edge than Higue Ritter.

I received my Doug Ritter RSK MK1-G2 from knifeworks(Fast shipping i might add.). I'm probably going to order the orange one, i like the RSK MK1-G2 a lot. Thanks!

I have two, both blades are off-center, one worse than the other almost touching the G10. The worst part, if you close the knife while the lock bar is riding the tang, there's a rough grinding between the metals that actually gouge the bar pretty badly. The lock bar has sharp edges that hurt when fiddled with for a while, never an issue with my G10 Griptilians. I am plenty surprised that I am the only one here with negative experience with the two copies I have.

I have two, both blades are off-center, one worse than the other almost touching the G10. The worst part, if you close the knife while the lock bar is riding the tang, there's a rough grinding between the metals that actually gouge the bar pretty badly. The lock bar has sharp edges that hurt when fiddled with for a while, never an issue with my G10 Griptilians. I am plenty surprised that I am the only one here with negative experience with the two copies I have.

I had one and mine was okay. Did you contact them? Hogue has good customer service in my experience.

Ya I would give them a call. Usually if it is as egregious as that they will take care of you.

Yup! They are just as pretty and functional as the Hogue Deka, and Benchmade Griptilian.
That puts it in some pretty good company! 👍

I have one. It’s very nice. Better then the Benchmade, which I also owned. I think the biggest difference is the handle is WAY grippier and the locking system seems to be a touch smoother. Both are nice but honestly Hogue did an excellent upgrade with this

I believe that Ritter and Hogue share the same locking system.
That would explain the smoothness: my Deka is way smoother than almost any of my Benchmades.

Back