Dozier Elk Hunter

Does anyone on the forum have firsthand experience with Dozier's KS-4 or 5 Elk Hunter?

I have the KS-5 Elk Hunter, and it's a wonderful knife. I sent it back to Bob to get the micarta bead blasted for a grippier surface, and I'm really glad I did. The handle is beautiful, and offers a very secure grip. Grinds are perfect, as usual for Bob. Sheath fit is excellent.
I have not used the knife for anything other than mundane household cutting, but the balance and feel is outstanding. I'm very happy with this one. I think it's one of the best values going today.
-Paul

What made you choose this one over the other Doziers? Looks, feel, or experience with this one?

I picked up one of the large Elk Hunter's last fall which had been previously owned. At first glance you may not think much about the knife UNTIL you start using it. I used mine to butcher up a deer last November and it out performed the Pro Skinner and Pro Guide to my surprize. The KS-5 was the best knife for removing the white sheathing around the muscles. I was in awe of how well it did this task for such a large knife. Dozier's D-2 is great user class stuff. Bob's Kydex sheaths are excellant as well.
smile.gif

Don't get me wrong, I like the Pro Guide a lot, but the Elk Hunter was better performer hands down. The Elk Skinner is a keeper.

Don't judge a knife by the way it looks, judge it by how it works.
biggrin.gif
IMHO, you can't go wrong with any Dozier.

------------------
Ray 'md2020'

ATKI member #A001042

If you like the sort of symmetrical dropped point on the Elk Hunter, I might mention that for an extra ~$20 or so, Dozier will modify his knives in minor ways for you... in this case, for me personally, I don't like the little "upper guard" on the Elk Hunter knives, but saw posted a while back where one of the forumites had Bob do a dropped point on the Professional Guides knife, so the tip and hollow grind looked like the Elk Hunter but was Pro Guide size/handle/length otherwise. Extra $20 or thereabouts, 2-4 months, and voila.

Similarly, I'm sure he'd just grind off that top "guard" on an Elk Hunter so you could have that size and handle.

Food for thought.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by maddog2020:
Dozier's D-2 is great user class stuff. Bob's Kydex sheaths are excellant as well.
IMHO, you can't go wrong with any Dozier.
</font>

I own 7 Dozier's (but not an Elk Hunter...yet) and would tend to agree.
wink.gif

I don't know where to find higher performing using knives at these prices, especially when it comes to slicing and game cleaning type chores. I'd be a bit surprised if even the venerable Paul Bos could best Dozier measureably on D2 heat treat for slicing tasks.

If you want a chopper from Dozier, he'll build his Ranger and his Bowie out of A2 for you also.

Dozier's snap-in, twist-to-release Kydex belt sheaths for the smaller knives are among the very finest and best fit kydex in the industry, IMO.

My only minor, uh, regret is that Bob doesn't finish his hollow ground blades to a finer grit that 300+ grit. This leaves fine scratches that demand thorough cleaning and blade protection to avoid little rust spots on his D2. I know this is a time=money concession, and yet...

[This message has been edited by rdangerer (edited 05-16-2001).]

Back