DPX HEST/F Qeustions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any one know who makes the D2 for the DPX HEST/F, what the HRC is, is the steel conventional or cpm? I've read that D2 chips out, do ya'll think it will be a good match for the overbuilt frame? To bad it's not M4?

thanks allot

Lionsteel makes the knife.
I think D2 has a good rep ,don't know the details on the steel source ,I'm waiting for my Hest/f preorder...kelly:thumbup:

The D2 tool steel is from Germany. Goes up to 60 - 62 Rockwell. We coat that either with milspec phosphate or Titanium Carbon which actually increases the hardness. The G10 is from Halpern in the US and the Titanium is from the US. There are plenty of spec sheets posted somewhere here.

The Ti Carbon + D2 should make for an interesting blade.. can't wait to see how it performs..

I've EDC'd a Benchmade AFCK in D2 for the last 6 years. Never had a problem with it chipping. Beat the hell out of it, too. I think that the problems with D2 show themselves in much larger blades, particularly choppers. For a small blade that's not going to be seeing lots of impact related stresses I think it is a great steel.

Pain in the ass to sharpen if it gets real dull, though.

D2 is a cutting blade 1095 a bashing blade. Yes it can be brittle in thin large blades. Thats why I only use in a very thick HEST blade.

Thanks RYP! When I saw the name Halpern, it sounded familiar. I think we do some Ti for them. I will have to look into it.:thumbup:

The D2 tool steel is from Germany. Goes up to 60 - 62 Rockwell. We coat that either with milspec phosphate or Titanium Carbon which actually increases the hardness.

How does the coating on the blade increase the hardness of the edge? That's where the hardness is important in regards to chipping, etc...

It doesn't.

Yeah, I guess it was more a rhetorical question since I didn't really understand RYP's reasoning behind mentioning the coatings in response to the RC hardness of the blade... Coatings are generally added to D2 to help with corrosion prevention.

From what I have read a carbide coating can increase hardness and edge retention.

Here is an except I found without looking too hard.

"The process of titanium-coating involves micro-welding and alloying an extremely thin layer (anywhere from 0.25 to 12 microns) of titanium carbide (TiC), titanium nitride (TiN) or titanium-carbo-nitride (TiCN - the black-colored version of the coating) to softer base metals such as steel - a process which has already been an industrial and commercial process performed on anything from drill bits (the "gold" bits you can buy in the hardware store), dental instruments and medical devices to surgical implants and aerospace components. Other materials, usually tungsten and cobalt based, can also be coated onto softer base materials to increase their hardness and durability (the coating material that Benchmade ended up chosing for the 970ST was not a titanium coating but tungsten tantalum carbide)."

Yeah, I guess it was more a rhetorical question since I didn't really understand RYP's reasoning behind mentioning the coatings in response to the RC hardness of the blade... Coatings are generally added to D2 to help with corrosion prevention.

The comment didn't make sense. That's why you didn't understand it.

From what I have read a carbide coating can increase hardness and edge retention.

Here is an except I found without looking too hard.

"The process of titanium-coating involves micro-welding and alloying an extremely thin layer (anywhere from 0.25 to 12 microns) of titanium carbide (TiC), titanium nitride (TiN) or titanium-carbo-nitride (TiCN - the black-colored version of the coating) to softer base metals such as steel - a process which has already been an industrial and commercial process performed on anything from drill bits (the "gold" bits you can buy in the hardware store), dental instruments and medical devices to surgical implants and aerospace components. Other materials, usually tungsten and cobalt based, can also be coated onto softer base materials to increase their hardness and durability (the coating material that Benchmade ended up chosing for the 970ST was not a titanium coating but tungsten tantalum carbide)."

Right. In regard to certain other tools (bits, grinding wheels, etc.) coating can increase hardness. However, in a knife, the actual edge is not going to be coated. So, the coating does nothing to increase the edge holding ability of the knife. It doesn't help/hurt the edge.

Coatings protect the blade, make it slipperier, harden it (in the case of TiC and other bonded coatings) the edge is not coated and depending on your taste can have a toothy edge, smooth razor edge or polished delicate edge. You can change the angle and type of tooth by choosing different tools (file, stone, rock, diamond, steel etc)
Its personal taste and can change depending on what you are doing (skinning, hacking, shaving etc) The thinner you sharpen the more likely you will get nicks or dings, the thicker, the less cut but the longer the life of the edge. Its pretty common sense stuff.

I chose D2 because I go out for a couple of weeks at a time and after a week or so I just need a quick strop on a fine stone to get the edge back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back