DPx HEST Folder Blade Setting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate it when manufacturers pretend I am stupid and try to make me look like an ass for bringing up something.

You mean like when you told the fella that pointed it out "dude... thank God you were never a photo intelligence analyst...that is the glass breaker." :rolleyes: Like someone is actually going to confuse the glass breaker as the tip of the blade.

And "Ikilledkenny" dude... thank God you were never a photo intelligence analyst...that is the glass breaker.

'"dude... thank God you were never a photo intelligence analyst...that is the glass breaker."

Thats why I hate it customers make me look stupid too.

would it be possible to modify the blade? to keep a larger stop pin and not alter the lock up?

would it be possible to modify the blade? to keep a larger stop pin and not alter the lock up?

Not exactly a DIY fix like replacing a pin. Unfortunately, I think RYP hasn't thought about the fact that making a smaller stop pin will not only lower the blade in the closed position, it will raise the blade in the open position, and cause a change in lockup. The only way that I can think of to lower the blade without changing open position and lockup is to file away at the part of the blade that rests against that pin in the closed position. Again, not really a DIY fix...

Any hardcore user would just grind the top of the tip . :thumbup:

Thats what I would do . ;)

1234,,,,,,,:D

lol not that....
Not exactly a DIY fix like replacing a pin. Unfortunately, I think RYP hasn't thought about the fact that making a smaller stop pin will not only lower the blade in the closed position, it will raise the blade in the open position, and cause a change in lockup. The only way that I can think of to lower the blade without changing open position and lockup is to file away at the part of the blade that rests against that pin in the closed position. Again, not really a DIY fix...

this. just yea obviously i wouldnt try it...haha

That is what I intend on doing if mine (when it gets here) if it's a problem. It's 30 seconds with a file or stone and you're done. I've had to do this on a spyderco regrind I had done (which shortened the blade unfortunately)... same issue.

I applaud RYP for offering to change the pin, and I'm guessing with the thicker pin the knife will lock up earlier than originally designed.

Can somebody post a picture of a knife with this issue and where the lock lands on the knife?

Drop the pin size down and it locks up to spec I'm betting. Just less room for wear.

The lockup when open on mine is great. I would not want to change this lockup to lower the blade when closed. Filing the contact point on the blade when closed is the best fix I would think of, if the tip bothers you.

The lockup when open on mine is great. I would not want to change this lockup to lower the blade when closed. Filing the contact point on the blade when closed is the best fix I would think of, if the tip bothers you.

This is what I am worried about as well.

If the production knives are indeed going to be delayed again...at least....PLEASE...ship the knives with both stop pins.

Please?

If the knife is perfectly safe either way, this would allow us to adjust the knife to our liking.

Now I'm getting worried again. I don't want to substitute one problem for another. If filing the blade down at the point of contact is a better solution, how about offering that for an option at the factory instead?

I would rather they do that, rather than going with something that will present a problem in a different form later on down the road.

Oh my !

Unfortunately, the blade to handle gap when closed is pretty large on mine...
DSCN0518.jpg

1234,,,,,,:)

So, just for clarification, you are going to manufacture a smaller diameter stop pin that will still fit in the preexisting holes in the scale, liner and ti (and looks to be a press fit) without affecting the the lockup on the blade? Maybe with some stepped construction on the stop pin?

That is what I intend on doing if mine (when it gets here) if it's a problem. It's 30 seconds with a file or stone and you're done. I've had to do this on a spyderco regrind I had done (which shortened the blade unfortunately)... same issue.

I applaud RYP for offering to change the pin, and I'm guessing with the thicker pin the knife will lock up earlier than originally designed.

Can somebody post a picture of a knife with this issue and where the lock lands on the knife?

Drop the pin size down and it locks up to spec I'm betting. Just less room for wear.

Go ahead and do that if you like.

Personally, I think the blade is short enough without having to grind off 1/4" or more of the tip just to get it to nest safely in the handle.

So, does the stop pin actually make contact with the choil when closed?? If thats the case, I guess I could go get a small round file to deepen the choil...of course that is dependant on how much clearance there is between the blade edge and the backspacer...

I can't see how this wasn't noticed before shipment but I'm not going to place judgement either.

Nothing we can do at this point besides ask for a refund or let it vett out . . .

I'm disappointed to say the least but I'll save opinion until I see mine and get to handle it.

So, just for clarification, you are going to manufacture a smaller diameter stop pin that will still fit in the preexisting holes in the scale, liner and ti (and looks to be a press fit) without affecting the the lockup on the blade? Maybe with some stepped construction on the stop pin?

sounds like its gonna take more than a couple days, and here I thought the production versions had already left Italy:(

I'm with you Reeek; I'll just wait to see how mine is when I get it.

I can't see how this wasn't noticed before shipment but I'm not going to place judgement either.

Nothing we can do at this point besides ask for a refund or let it vett out . . .

I'm disappointed to say the least but I'll save opinion until I see mine and get to handle it.

I am curious. If you change the size of the stop pin want that in turn mess up the ball detent? Mine sticks out a little but I did not even notice it until I read this post. I would prefer it sit all the way down but not if it will mess up other functions of the knife. Outside of this the knife is pretty damn amazing.

Whitty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back