Dragon Forge Batons.....

I know these ain't knives, but close enough in my book...

I was in the market for a collapseable baton for my Fiance's truck and after seeing that Mike Turber was really proud of his DF line, I decided to get one. At the same time I got and ASP (both from Danny @ http://www.888knivesrus.com ), I got the ASP because I got a great deal on it.

The DF baton I got is the 21" model, the ASP I got is the 26" model. In just looking at them and doing a visual comparison, they both appear to be of the same quality, and the DF might be just a little ahead in the looks department. Despite being 5" shorter the DF baton is a little heavier.

In a rough appraisal of the materials, they both sem to be the same hardness and same type of steel (just judging by the sound they make tapping on cement), and I think I prefer the end cap on the DF baton better, it appears to be steel, while the endcap on the ASP is aluminum. The DF endcap is much more substantial in construction.

My only major gripe about the DF baton is that it does not reliable lock open as well as the asp. This may or may not be of a concern considering during use centrifugal force will keep it extended. After flicking it open you can just give it a quick tug and that usually makes it stay open well enough. Unless you poke things I do not think it is a necessary feature to lock open. The ASP has to be hit on a solid floor or similar to be closed. THis sorta limita the practice of drawing it and extending it when you live in an upstairs apartment.

As far as price is concerned, you can buy three Dragon forge batons for what you can spend on one ASP. I thiunk that for the money thay are they way to go and that there is no shame in buying one. I was hesitant in buying one becasue the price was so low I though it might be a POS compared to the ASP. It ain't..I am pleasantly surprised that there is still items out on the market that give this much value for the dollar.

Any way it goes, I think the final test was the "Fiance' Test".. (No I did not hit her, nor her hit me)...She had her choice of batons (aren't I a nice guy) and she took the Dragon Forge.

And one more thing..if you want to support Blade forums, the Dragon Forge Batons are available through the Blaforums store at a reasonable price. IF you want a good baton, the DF ones are pretty good...no...they are &$^#%@& Awesome for the price. Heck, it comes with a sheath to boot...I got a handy color catalog of other ASP products with the other baton.

Hopefully I can wrench the Dragon forge Baton away from my Fiance so I can do some head to head destructive testing with it. Or I might just buy another one. Mike Turber has a lifetime warrenty on them, so there ain't much to lose in buying one.

YeK

------------------
It is not a matter of whether or not you are paranoid, it is a matter of whether or not you are paranoid enough.

AKTI # A000348

Sounds cool, but not legal in this state. I can possess one if I don't carry it, but that's what my big black bokken are for. OTOH, toys are an important part of life . . .

Man, it looks like I have see one infomercial too many. Oh well. To clear things up a little, the Model ASP I got is a 26" Airweight, so Duh on me, it is going to be a little lighter.

I havn't done any hard testing on it yet, but it feels like a real solid unit, and I have trouble getting it away fron my Fiance to even play with it. If she is happy, I am happy...

YeK

------------------
It is not a matter of whether or not you are paranoid, it is a matter of whether or not you are paranoid enough.

AKTI # A000348

I've been eyeing the DF Batons for some time now, Yek. The thing is I don't know how well they will fare when used in the real world. I hope you can put it to the test, and see how it performs. Let us all know afterwards.
smile.gif

Dan

Well my efforts in prying away the Dragon Forge Baton from my fiance are not resulting in any progress. Most likely I think I will purchase one or two more. They are pretty solid, and the more I play with hers (under her supervision, she won't let me have it for too long) the more reliably it seems to want to lock open.

As far as testing them, I am wondering what you guys want to see? I was thinking mostly of wacking 2x's up, and takeing some digital photos of that. Let me know of any other ideas you have. Want to see my fiance beat me to a pulp
smile.gif
.?.Just kidding.. Her Dad (A U.S. Marshall) has been giving her pointers on using it.

Any other questions?

YeK

hey Danny,

I got two more coming in, a 21" and a 26" baton. You said you'd be interested on how well they'd hold up during testing. How would you like to see them tested? I mean if all I did was bat around some warm sticks of butter, that would not be a representative of how well they would do in real life. Whatcha want to see? Hello? Anyone? Bueller...............Bueller................Bueller......................

YEK

I think that impact testing on lateral and direct end on blows would be helpful. Will in collapse on you when you don't want it to. I would probably try 2x4s and then progress to harder objects. What do you think. Also what about a series of blows. How many times could you wack a brick wall for instance?

Hey Yek.
smile.gif

Hmmm... I really don't have a clue as to how it could be tested... But for sure, don't let your fiance beat you to a pulp, otherwise, I doubt if you can still type in the results of the testing afterwards..lol..

I guess slamming it into a brick wall, or even a hollow block hanging (ala Coldsteel) on a rope would be cute.
smile.gif

Aren't batons supposed to be for defensive use? If so, how is it utilized? I'm assuming there will be someone going after your throat with a steel pipe or such, then you'll have to use it to parry the blow. I once had a friend who has a baton like that, slammed it into a steel pipe, went home with two baton pieces instead of one.. hehehe.
smile.gif

Oh yeah, don't forget to mention in your review how it feels like afterwards. Comfort should also be there, right?
smile.gif

Good luck!
smile.gif

Dan

Yekim,
Besides your upcoming interesting testing, I would like to know what you fiance's father thinks of the respective models. If he can give pointers on use, he should have some idea on evaluating them. Some pointers would be great too if them lend themselves to this medium (tired fingers) and he does not mind. Warnings of how not to use them might be possible even if actual use tips might be difficult or he would prefer not going into it.

By the way, one of these batons is mentioned in the Dick Francis book, "Straight," ©1989 about a jockey who inherits his brothers semi-precious stone business and all his gadgets. Another of his books, "Longshot," is about a survival author. A good book, but do not expect too much survival information.

Donald,

My fiance's father could not tell any real difference between the ASP was carrying and the DF baton she had.

As far as techniques, he said he had a little training with them, and basically (As he made light swings in my direction), go for the arms, elbows, thighs, & knees. HE also mentioned that they need not be opened to be effective (as he tapped me in the solar plexus with the end of a closed baton).

I have not had the chance...okay, I have not had the will.....well not the guts to ask for further instruction or pointers from him yet.

YeK

Yekim,

One thing the Marshall did that you mentioned brings to mind an advantage of the ASP. I have heard of using the baton to "tap" someone with the end as a means of defense or forceful compliance. You mention that you pretty much have to slam the ASP into concrete to get it to close (same with mine). That could be pretty devastating if you sent the tip of the baton into someone's chest or ribs with the same or near force. In this way, the ASP effectively increases your reach with greater variety of possibilities.

------------------
Sometimes you're the windshield; sometimes you're the bug.
Outlaw_Dogboy

I have come to the conclusion that the locking open of the baton is a good thing. I did come up with a fix for the less than reliable locking of the DF batons. Disassemble the baton and sand on the flared ends of the internal rods and it locks open really nicely.

I just recieved two DF Batons to test today and I have already sanded on them. They lock open well enough to support alot of my weight now, and I think that most "soft" objects will give way before the baton collapses.

The Two I recieved are the 26" and the 21". WOW was out of stock on the 16".

As for testing them I an still sort of in the air. It would be Fun to try and bust up a cinderblock, but I do not think that would have much bearing on the realworld usage of the baton.

Another thought that crossed my mind was perhaps filling a plastic milk jug with water and hanging it by a rope. Maybe put the jug & water in the freezer for a while si I get 1" thick or so layer of ice on the inside. Who knows. If people want to see if ithey will bust cinder blocks, then I will do that.

YeK

I purchased a cheap baton for 15 bucks eight years ago. It was 16 inches open and 6-7 inches closed. It had no real problems except for comming loose after a strong side impact. What loosens the baton is lateral motion followed by vertical pressure. It was easier to close my baton after flexing it a bit back and forth. Test the higher quality batons for this problem. Are they any easier to close after you hit a very massive and dense object?

Back