Dream "Medium" sized CRK Collection

I started a thread a while back asking about your minimalist CRK collection if you had to sell most due to financial constraints. I've been doing pretty well at work lately and have been building up my CRK collection. Now, it's not a money thing, but I want to scale down a bit, and possibly use the proceeds towards some of the rarer knives like a mammoth annual.

So I ask, what's a good dream "medium" size CRK collection? Here's my idea:

Historical timeline purposes:
P-Sebenza ATS34
Regular Large BG42
Regular Small BG42
21 Large S30V or S35VN
21 Small S30V or S35VN
Favorite One Piece Knife - South African preferred but US okay

I don't think there was a small P-Sebenza, so those 5 seem to cover the main timeline. Please correct if I am wrong. There's an "original" sebenza, but it's so close to the P, that I'm not sure it's worth splitting out, anymore than pre and post Idaho 21s are worth having both.

User purposes:
Whatever your favorite EDC is. I like the shape and design of regulars, but I don't want to risk losing my BG42 regular, so I'm planning to add an S30V regular, which is cheaper than the BG42s, and EDCing that one.

Fun / extravagant purposes:
Mammoth Ivory - if funds allow, both the green/blue version and the white/brown version. I personally don't like the pure white as much, but am not mad at it!!
River of Fire would be amazing, but I don't care much for most of the damascus patterns other than it.

Here's my summary thoughts. With the 6 knives in the historical timeline, one or two mammoth ivory, and one user, you have a pretty solid medium size collection at under 10 knives that covers a lot of ground. Add in a Mnandi and Umfaan for a little extra niceities.

I envy a lot of the huge collections I see posted here, but I just don't have the room to store 100+ knives, and I need to fund my retirement account still for the year!! So I'm looking at sculpting a solid but respectful medium-size collection of about a dozen knives or so.

Who else has similar plans or ideas on what a good medium-size collection looks like?

So I've been through a lot of knives, always trading and selling and trying new things. Recently I sold off all I had and started getting into CRK. It's funny that you started this thread because I just decided what my collection will be. Maybe this is smaller than medium, but my end goal is:

Sebenza 25
Large 21 Tanto w/ Micarta
Large Plain Jane Insingo
Tanto Umnumzaan

Currently own the top two. Those four will make up my whole collection and all be users before too long. That's what I've settled on!

They did make small P Sebenzas. Don't mind the crud... it cleans up nicely. :D

IMG_0261.JPG.jpeg

I started a thread a while back asking about your minimalist CRK collection if you had to sell most due to financial constraints. I've been doing pretty well at work lately and have been building up my CRK collection. Now, it's not a money thing, but I want to scale down a bit, and possibly use the proceeds towards some of the rarer knives like a mammoth annual.

So I ask, what's a good dream "medium" size CRK collection? Here's my idea:

Historical timeline purposes:
P-Sebenza ATS34
Regular Large BG42
Regular Small BG42
21 Large S30V or S35VN
21 Small S30V or S35VN
Favorite One Piece Knife - South African preferred but US okay

I don't think there was a small P-Sebenza, so those 5 seem to cover the main timeline. Please correct if I am wrong. There's an "original" sebenza, but it's so close to the P, that I'm not sure it's worth splitting out, anymore than pre and post Idaho 21s are worth having both.

User purposes:
Whatever your favorite EDC is. I like the shape and design of regulars, but I don't want to risk losing my BG42 regular, so I'm planning to add an S30V regular, which is cheaper than the BG42s, and EDCing that one.

Fun / extravagant purposes:
Mammoth Ivory - if funds allow, both the green/blue version and the white/brown version. I personally don't like the pure white as much, but am not mad at it!!
River of Fire would be amazing, but I don't care much for most of the damascus patterns other than it.

Here's my summary thoughts. With the 6 knives in the historical timeline, one or two mammoth ivory, and one user, you have a pretty solid medium size collection at under 10 knives that covers a lot of ground. Add in a Mnandi and Umfaan for a little extra niceities.

I envy a lot of the huge collections I see posted here, but I just don't have the room to store 100+ knives, and I need to fund my retirement account still for the year!! So I'm looking at sculpting a solid but respectful medium-size collection of about a dozen knives or so.

Who else has similar plans or ideas on what a good medium-size collection looks like?

And just to help clarify your question about the "Original".. they were all named the Original. The Numbered Ps, the Ps, the Originals... are all the same knife. Only difference is how we refer to them. A P Sebenza is marked with a P, but it is identical to an "Original" or a numbered P Sebenza.
CRK stopped numbering them... then stopped putting the P... but the knife dimensions were all the same.

And finally my personal list... if I had to keep 5, including one fantasy knife

Pre-Sebenza #3
H Sebenza
Small P Guild-like knife
Large Annual
Large 21 PME

I am more an user that a collector But I like to try new things
As time has gone I ended up with a little more than 20 knives
I recently looked at them and decided to reduce my set to the one I really use.

Ion the same time i also increased the number of CRKs since they are part of the reason that most of the knivesni have have been spoiled ;)

I have 4 CRKs
Large and small Inkosi , large 21, small 21 insingo
I am thinking to get a small 21 to complete my "collection"/EDC rotation

One I don't need but that appeals ne is the umnumzan... still have to make a final statement on this one

Interesting thread, I built my collection as my way, I'd like to collect all the iconic knives Chris was made or CRK were made.

Here are my CRK grails:
Helix folder
Lock-45 folder
Sebenza predecessor (made in South Africa)
H Sebenza
P Sebenzas (numbered, unique graphic, original wood boxes)
Regular Sebenza (one numbered, one with golden coin inlay)
Early one piece knives (made in South Africa)
Handmade small fixed knives
Walking canes

CRK%20Grails_zpsqyjoawkq.jpg~original

Back