Dream Shop - Old Shop Demolition finished. Demo photos added.

This mornings photo shows the installed garage door.
They got the final close-up on the sheathing and the garage door installed. The soffits on the eves are almost done. Once inspected later today, the will wrap the building then put on the siding and shingle the roof.

IMG_20200107_072604.jpg

Last edited:
The building and associates costs will run a bit over $60K. Finishing the inside will run $10K. Electric connection may run as much as $8K, but I am hoping to keep it below $4K. Roughly - $80K for the whole build.

The big money will be inside the shop. I figure I am putting $100K of equipment and supplies inside (conservatively).

This took a long time to accumulate both the funds and the stuff. It is finally time to put it all to good use. I have grinders and other ols in shipping crates that I have never opened. Some of those date back over 10 years.

I have a "Shop Bucket List" of things I would love to add to the shop after I get everything else done. I may never get them all, but the list is around $20K.

The building and associates costs will run a bit over $60K. Finishing the inside will run $10K. Electric connection may run as much as $8K, but I am hoping to keep it below $4K. Roughly - $80K for the whole build.

The big money will be inside the shop. I figure I am putting $100K of equipment and supplies inside (conservatively).

This took a long time to accumulate both the funds and the stuff. It is finally time to put it all to good use. I have grinders and other ols in shipping crates that I have never opened. Some of those date back over 10 years.

I have a "Shop Bucket List" of things I would love to add to the shop after I get everything else done. I may never get them all, but the list is around $20K.
Congratulations!!!! Sounds like you are going to have quite an operation when everything is finally finished.

Its really interesting to watch building construction from other areas. I'm assuming the horizontal bracing in the corners is to allow the installation of the OSB board vertical on the corners are for strength? Around here it's not required but if we wanted to we have 12' metal strips that have a bent rib down the center. We chalk a diagonal line the 12' length at a angle from one corner, set a circular saw to cut the depth of the V bend and nail in place. Way more energy efficient for insulation and probably in my mind stronger.

Last edited:
I missed this thread when started. I absolutely love WIP projects, and seeing a lot of hard work come together.

Brings me back to my first commercial build. Watching groundbreaking and prep work for phase one (16k sf). Then the slab was poured during the only rain storm of the entire summer....a crazy monster downpour that was forcast at least 2 days in advance. Last month marked 20 years of stumbling over high/low spots, and stepping in footprints that were attempted to be filled with epoxy, but not quite right. We beat them up pretty good (short of a re-pour, decided the cost of the re-pour looked better on paper when pulled off the backend :cool:).
At least the contractor learned a little something along the way. When the 11k sf addition was poured, weather was watched like a hawk. Double the manpower was on-hand just in case. And laser guided leveling equipment was utilized for an absolutely glass end product. You can drop a marble anywhere in that side of the building, and it goes nowhere.

Long story longer. Anywho, anytime construction is involved, stuff happens. You just make the best of it like you have done, and keep on keeping on. My days of developing and growth are far behind me. But still love following fun growth projects by others.

And as cool as this part of the project is, I'm even more excited to see the small items to come off the future equipment on the inside. :)

LCoop,
The diagonal bracing was temporary to hold things square and strong while sheathing and such. Most all construction inside ( benches, cabinets, etc. Will be mounted directly to the studs, which will increase rigidity of the building.

OK, first, a lovely shot of the full moon rising last night over the shop.
DSC01655.JPG

Today's work - The shop is roofed, wrapped, and the face boards fitted. Dave and I moved some stuff in to get started soon on the build-out. Those cabinets standing on their ends are 28 feet worth of heavy horizontal units with self storing doors, and under cabinet lighting. I brought in a new tool box to put my tools in, too. That thing weighs a ton.
Siding and soffits go on Monday.DSC01658.JPG DSC01661.JPG DSC01660.JPG

Spent the day out there working on cleaning the lot up some and leveling off some high spots. Jesse (FIF Champ) came over and helped bust up the pump-out concrete piles. I got the big tool chest bolted together. Rain for a couple days, but the builder says the siding guys will get it done by the end of the week.

I put the power box up on the peak that faces the house where the neon KNIVES sign will be mounted. Been waiting for many years to hang that thing.

More lot cleaning and moving the extra wood.
Moved the electrical stuff inside and screws/fasteners/lighting/etc for the first build out steps.
Contractor came by yesterday with a siding sample to check the match for the house. Siding ordered for delivery. . I suspect the siding guys will be out Monday.
Mike was going to install the entrance door yesterday, but every door of the size and type I wanted had a dent on the edge. Looked like a forklift graze the whole group. (Somebody is get chewed out of fired over that.) They were getting a new door sent over from an out of town store ASAP. Hopefully it will be installed tomorrow.

Spent the day out there working on cleaning the lot up some and leveling off some high spots. Jesse (FIF Champ) came over and helped bust up the pump-out concrete piles. I got the big tool chest bolted together. Rain for a couple days, but the builder says the siding guys will get it done by the end of the week.

I put the power box up on the peak that faces the house where the neon KNIVES sign will be mounted. Been waiting for many years to hang that thing.

If you're worried about security, Isn't it best to keep that indoors ?

The sign isn't visible to anyone but me. The shop will have all sorts of old signs and farm stuff all around it. The KNIVES sign will be lit for parties and when I am out back with friends. I may have the timer set to run it for an hour at sunset just for my enjoyment.
Security is pretty well taken care of by no windows, good doors and locks … and a good security system.

I shot some photos yesterday and will try and post them this evening.

Back