Drilling INFI or SR101?

I have an idea that I've been kicking around for a while about using a Busse/Kin knife for a shifter handle when I finally get around to restoring my first vehicle. Something with a distinctly recognizable Busse/Kin profile and also has a good shape for a shifter handle. Kinda leaning twards a Ratweiler right now but something with a Fusion or Ergo handle would also fit the bill nicely. My question is, if it comes down to it, how hard would it be to drill a couple holes in one?

Just get (make) a fat micarta rod, cut lengthwise just enough to sheath a knife in and you're golden. Probably something with Res-C would work best (Bandi-Inficoot, Mud Puppy, Wiener/Bird Dog...)

It's HARDENED STEEL....It went through Busse Heat Treatment so a standard drill bit is useless for drilling. You would either have to anneal the steel back to a soft state or spend a lot of money on Carbide Drill bits. Think of an alternative way of mounting save the headache of drilling!!

Carbide bits for glass and ceramic tile chew right through hardened steel, but they are often toast after one hole, maybe two if you get lucky. I have used one to drill a hardened M4 blade.
Go slow, light, and have lots of cutting fluid handy, they build heat quick, and with too much pressure they shatter.

They do make small diameter diamond hole saw bits, but they are around $15-25 a pop, and I do not know if they work.

Pricey shifter knob! I like the sheath idea with the knife in it though, pretty slick idea really-

It's HARDENED STEEL....It went through Busse Heat Treatment so a standard drill bit is useless for drilling. You would either have to anneal the steel back to a soft state or spend a lot of money on Carbide Drill bits. Think of an alternative way of mounting save the headache of drilling!!
Welding would definitely be easier.

Why not fix a sheath securely to the shifter handle and be able still draw your knife. You can put a strap on the sheath to lock the knife in so you dont end up pulling it out while shifting.
Well, basically im going to have to cut off the existing shifter handle and connect it down inside of a console where they will have one or two inches of contact. I don't think it would really be possible to fix a sheath to the stub of the old shifter arm and have it be very rigid. Even if it could, I think it wouldn't last very long, banging thru the gears.

I have some half inch aluminum you could trace and cut your own with? I could ship ya a chunk if you're interested. 8" x 4" x 1/2" thick. Not sure if it's what your lookin for but feel free to shoot me a PM brother.

Welding would definitely be easier.
Yup....Take the Handle scales off get it welded and send out to Chrome then use threaded couplings and Torx screws...That would be Bitchin':cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

At NASA in the Clean Rooms where assembly was being done the Big Wilton Vises were disassembled and sent out for Chrome Finish they were Beautiful and CLEAN and easy to wipe down...they were also like $2000. each...Only the BEST for the Space Program!!!

I have some half inch aluminum you could trace and cut your own with? I could ship ya a chunk if you're interested. 8" x 4" x 1/2" thick. Not sure if it's what your lookin for but feel free to shoot me a PM brother.
Thanks for the offer. You thinking make a copy out of a material that's easier to work with? I do have access to a bunch of steel, aluminum and stainless I could do that with. That would definitely be a lot cheaper but I'm not sure if I could make scales a set of scales that fit and look even close to as good as the real thing though.

Thanks for the offer. You thinking make a copy out of a material that's easier to work with? I do have access to a bunch of steel, aluminum and stainless I could do that with. That would definitely be a lot cheaper but I'm not sure if I could make scales a set of scales that fit and look even close to as good as the real thing though.
See if you could just buy a set of scales for whatever model you want directly from busse.

I would get the scales popped off the knife I wanted to use and copy that handle shape to a piece of like thickness steel then have that cut out in a shop somewhere. Attach your Busse grips to this and send the original knife off to AZtim or similar for a set of custom grips. Best of both worlds.

Clamp - Hey, great idea, grab one of the last 14 of those BB13's Jerry is trying to dump on the market Wed night and whack half that blade off :D

Back