Drop Point EDC CPM-M4

I did not get to do any toughness testing or anything of that sort But I did get to test the edge holding on a bunch of cardboard before I put the final finish on it. It just kept going....and going....and......well lets just say it holds a pretty darn good edge. I have heard of others using M4 even at 65-66rc for skinning/hunting knives. I would think that toughness is not that ideal at such hardness. Hopefully, the end users will have the common sense to know what they have and that some toughness will be given up to gain wear resistance. Most super high wear resistant steels are not that tough when compared to the likes of A2, S7, 3V, and other less alloyed steels. But CPM-M4 is still relatively tough for what you are getting in wear resistance.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I've been lurking around here for the past few days. I am usually in the Shop Talk Forums. Someone brought up moving to the bay area, and mtnfolk mike posted saying you were from the Bay as well. I had seen your knives when I first found this sight but didn't notice your location.

Okay enough of that...

Ban, I have always wondered what a good edge holding would be. I notice you say you went through "a bunch" of cardboard, and it kept going. How much would you say you went through? I ask because I recently made a folder out of some Vanadis 10. I've sharpened it once(Can't exactly say sharp due to the fact that this stuff is tough), and it cuts like a champ.

Anyhow, you all may be seeing me around here a bit more. Just starting out making knives, and would very much like to get together with some local guys and talk shop. My friends are all tired of hearing about blade geometry, and how different materials perform.

Congrats cmgray! nice score! I keep drooling, er, trolling here in anticipation of Ban's next post in the for sale forum.

Carl,

Welcome to the forums. A few of us get together to hang out every once in a while. You are welcome to come by and join us. We usually post in the death chat about meetups etc..... That vanadis 10 looks to be good stuff. It is very similar to 10V and A11.

My testing was hardly scientific. I just cut a whole bunch up and noticed little to no edge degradation and called it good. I have seen other steel and knives start to slowly drop off after around 40 cuts or so.

Last edited:
Congrats cmgray! nice score! I keep drooling, er, trolling here in anticipation of Ban's next post in the for sale forum.

Thank you sir. I'm looking forward to testing it out and posting it here on the forums. Word of mouth is the best advertising and I can't say enough about Ban's knives..

Thanks for your support Chris. I will try to make it out to the PO with your knife tomorrow.

You are right. I thought that's what my current chef knife is but it's a hair over 1/8th (I just measured).

Thank you sir. I'm looking forward to testing it out and posting it here on the forums. Word of mouth is the best advertising and I can't say enough about Ban's knives..

Looking forward to your tests and some pics. I'm in line down the road for some of Ban's blades so meanwhile I live for what the other lucky owners have to show and say.

What kind of tests would you all like to see on my Review of the EDC. I won't be carrying the EDC as a woods knife because I have a knife dedicated for that already. So I won't be batoning or carving deadfalls. I'm open to whatever suggestions you all may have. Although let's keep the 55 gallon drum stabbing and cutting off car doors to a minimum.

thinking of putting a small knife together from a11(10V) steel do you guys know who can HT this steel for me ?
Thanks Phil! I will make sure to send you a email. By the way I will be using that HT info that you gave me for 10V and M390 very soon.

There are lots of guys that provide HT service. I have used Peter's Heat Treat and Paul Boss and have been very happy with them. The most economical way may be to use Texas Knifemaker Supply for a single knife.

I think that it would work pretty well as a little woodcraft/psk type knife. It was designed to be a smaller general utility type knife so use your imagination ;) My daily use of a knife mainly consist of opening up packaging and cutting up cardboard.

I figured someone might have had a few suggestions

I like that test where you stab it in to a wall with the blade horizontal and then step on the handle.

You can add jumping if you like.

Just kidding.

Make a bunch of those dead fall traps and then skin whatever gets smashed.

Back