Dual Lean-To Shelter

I went out back in the woods with my buddy Alex and we started to build a double lean-to shelter for winter camping. We used four vertical poles with a mortise and tenon construction to hold the frame. This is one of the nicest shelters we have build yet and I'm excited to try it out soon.

Interesting way of joining the frame, eliminates the need for a lot of cord for lashing and looks very secure. What do you plan to cover the ends and outside with?

Interesting way of joining the frame, eliminates the need for a lot of cord for lashing and looks very secure. What do you plan to cover the ends and outside with?
We were planning tu use leaves but massive snow has fallen since. We will be using tarps + snow

Cool how about showing us here w pics and details.. Not youtube pls. I'm interested but won't click on a YouTube video That would be cool

We went back to the shelter to find the snow already on the ground. We added quite a few sticks to close up the structure but we will have to forget about adding leaves. We will most likely go with polypropylene type tarps. With a long fore inside it should be toasty this winter. I'm looking forward to winter camping.

Very cool shelter!! I hope I can get back to the woods to work on something similar next year.

I understand you are talking about LOG FIRE... Make sure to have propper ventilation so you don't suffocate!

Mikel

I'm pretty sure he meant "long-fire", it's actually a thing :)

vwwjhv8.jpg
PzvnPgU.jpg

We did an A frame tent similar to yours. Probably 2 foot centers w strapping. Wrapped it with lumber yard tarps. Free in the back. Same as the Canadian tire tarps but free. If a branch goes through just put another layer on. Stove w a duct chimney. We stuck an old door on. Back of our acreage for keeping some gear in. Good design for shedding snow. We put a platform in that can be used for a table or work bench or bed. Probably close to queen size. Total cost was a couple big handfuls of spikes. Stove and duct was donated and leftover stuff. Lookin forward to your project development

Last edited:
vwwjhv8.jpg
PzvnPgU.jpg

We did an A frame tent similar to yours. Probably 2 foot centers w strapping. Wrapped it with lumber yard tarps. Free in the back. Same as the Canadian tire tarps but free. If a branch goes through just put another layer on. Stove w a duct chimney. We stuck an old door on. Back of our acreage for keeping some gear in. Good design for shedding snow. We put a platform in that can be used for a table or work bench or bed. Probably close to queen size. Total cost was a couple big handfuls of spikes. Stove and duct was donated and leftover stuff. Lookin forward to your project development

very cool
Thanks !

Back