Spine thickness -- 3/8''
Six tools with Nepal deer anler handle
Sisau wood handle
All fittings are white metal
Standard leather scabbard
Absolutely stunning works of art by Vim

8-04-08%20015.jpg

8-04-08%20019.jpg

Like I said, I just got it today, so I can't give a chopping review yet. I might be able to put a fine edge on it and do some work this weekend or next. So, first impressions.

The good:
1.) Wow. This thing is more beautiful in person than in the pics.
2.) Wow. It's light. (OK, it's 3/4 the weight of my favorite Ang Kholas).
3.) The blade is "somewhat sharp" instead of "butterknife dull".
4.) The tools look usable. Have to test out the ones I can use (don't really have a use for the button hook).

The not so good:
1.) The tools don't remotely fit the holes they go in. I have no idea what the sarkis were thinking. Some fall through, some won't go in.
2.) By making loops the right size for the tools, there would be room for a tinder pouch.

The above isn't a big deal. The tools are kind of a novelty, I bought it for the kukri itself. All of the tools can basically be replaced by my SAK Rucksack, so they'll just live in the sheath, although I do want to see if the saw works. If I like the kukri as much as I think I will, I'll just have to finally break down and send Ilbruche some money for a quickdraw for this one.

Like I said, first impressions. The sheath and tools may work themselves out with use. So far, my only complaints are with the sheath, the kukri and the tools themselves are all excellent and I look forward to giving them a workout.

NOTE: I still contend that Yandu lives in a special fold in the space-time continuum.
THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT
I just find it amazing that whenever I order from her, a Priority Mail box can make it from Reno to FL in two days, without fail. Yet, I order from Georgia, Priority, am given a tracking number and confirm it left the same day, it STILL takes 4 days to get here.

Whatever she threatened the postal workers with, it worked. :D

I am glad to hear the Dui chirra made it OK, thank you for the suggestion on tools holes will pass this message to shop and Kmais.

The Dui Chirra is nice, eh?

By far my favorite khuk.

I use the awl that mine came with all the time. It's very sharp and handy. My sheath had a tinder pouch in with the tools.

fe52c33d.jpg

One of mine too. It arrived in time last year for the Ice Storm that ripped through my area. It all and all my Kukris [HI and non HI] (except my MM) recieved one heck of a work out during that time. Managed to get to work 2 days later and it was only after a Wide eyed Coworker mentioned something that I realised I was still wearing my Dui CHirra.

I agree with sugesstion on the tool loops inside the pouch.

I cannot emphasise enough that with this particular blade you need to reread the safety thread, there is enough weight that this blade can slice and chop with almost no power to the swing. I have about took major chunks out of my thigh with this thing and the blade cut through a branch or vine without me intending to cut.
There is a reason I call mine the Nepalese Lightsaber.

But again it's a heck of a blade and definately one of my prize possessions

Marc Adkins

Last edited:
The Dui Chirra is nice, eh?

By far my favorite khuk.

fe52c33d.jpg

Would your Dui Chirra also be known as the 'Berkley Special'? What is its approx. weight please?

Also, are there any ideas about the development of this handle style as per a recent DOTD:

HIBDC1825inch30ounceBDCbynewKamisSa.jpg

I believe the current BDC Khukuri's are now being made to a max length of 18inches? Maybe it will be necessary to order a Berkley Special to get the longer Khuk?

Mine is a 22" Berk Special. The largest BDC I have seen is 18".

Email Yangdu and she can possibly order you what you want.

Mine is a 22" Berk Special. The largest BDC I have seen is 18".

Email Yangdu and she can possibly order you what you want.

Thank you for your post; I really like the traditional style of handle and to my eye the longer blade on the 22inch Berk Special is more pleasing than the squatter 18inch BDC.

I will have to be patient while Yangdu enjoys her visit back home and await her return and then discuss the possibility of my first 'custom' order HI Khuk. :cool:

hi guys
i know this is a bit of a late reply but i dont think its a button hook
but more for personal hygene i.e. its an ear wax remover
mick
ps nice review as ive just got mine can any body tell mewhat the last big pouch is for and the little leather gizmo
whats it used for and would it be possible to aquire/buy a frog for mine as it seems to be missing
thanks to all
lal/aka mick

Last edited:
There is a reason I call mine the Nepalese Lightsaber.

"An elegant weapon.....from a more civilized age."

Kind of fits, doesn't it? :cool:

And here's a thought: if the tightness of the tool-holder loops is an issue, maybe there's a way they could simply be made adjustable. Then the customer could simply tighten or loosen them as necessary.

hi guys
can any body tell mewhat the last big pouch is for and the little leather gizmo
whats it used for
The last big pouch holds the little leather tinder pouch for flint and tinder (not included). The chakma is used as a steel for fire starting as well as maintaining the edge of the blade.
qqx4qx.jpg

hi guys
that little leather thing is like a leather tube its not sealed at eather end
more of a leather tube with a leather frill at one end it cant hold any thing as its not sealed or is it a pouch that was made on a friday by a sarki who was in a hurry to go home:) heres the pics i also see that mine was made by bura exellent work as allways

#

Last edited:
Back