Dullest Out of the Box

Dullest knives I've ever received both came from makers here (not going to name them in this thread). Neither could consistently tear paper - yes, I said tear...they weren't even sharp enough to grab the edge to get started.

The dullest I've experienced was my sebenzas and busse.

The busse couldn't cut anything it was so thick and dull, it would wrinkle paper instead of cutting it.

Both are very high priced but who is sharpening these??

All my spyderco knives which are fairly cheap, are very sharp new.

yep gecs, queens. so dull one can only think they never made it to the sharpener.......or was bring your kid to work day and the kid did the sharpening.....

CKF Sukhoi 2. No edge at all to speak of.......none.
I’ve found Hogue, Microtech, Pro Tech & Spydie send some sharp bitches out!

My Ontario SP5 had uneven grinds and was too dull to catch and tear paper of any thicknesses. A fair bit of elbow grease in front of the TV set it right and I am very happy with it. For the price and purpose, I really wasn't all that bothered. If you are going to get a heavy use Bowie in that price range, you better know how to sharpen it.

A handful of rat1 and rat2s were just fine and I would say sharper than I expect at that price point.

Ugh. I had a Kershaw Dimension that had an edge that was ground to about four different angles. None of them cut.

Both Busse and Swamp rat, on more than one occasion from each respective brand.

Although produced in the same factory as the above, all Scrapyards in my lot have had decently sharp edges, albeit quite thick behind the edge.

the busse brands are made thick/obtuse angles on the bevels for extra strength on purpose? no?

I always assumed that it was on purpose?

Swamprat Ratmandu direct from Swamprat (about 4-5years ago). ....took 2 beers and a Sharpmaker to transform it from a butter knife (blunted by beef). A lot more work than I wanted to deal with for any knife, high end or not.

My Spyderco Roc could barely cut a piece of fruit when I first got it. It’s was definitely the worst edge I have received from a new Spyderco.

Dullest knives I've ever received both came from makers here (not going to name them in this thread). Neither could consistently tear paper - yes, I said tear...they weren't even sharp enough to grab the edge to get started.
Oh gosh yes, I agree!

The dullest knife ever was my Guardian Tactical OTF, super obtuse edge and it didn't even slice printer paper. Other than that it was a really nice OTF.

The most dull knife out of the box? I’m gonna get flamed for this but, Hinderer.

Sharpest? Spyderco, and it’s not even close.

Pretty much every Spyderco I've had has been razor sharp, except my Lil' Native. Someone dropped the ball on that one, barely sliced through paper.

Surprisingly I would have to say the worst / dullest edge I ever had out of the box was a brand new Spyderco Para2 in S110V. You know how some people like to "destress" the edge on a stone or brick before they apex sharpen ? Yeah . . . it was like that. Wouldn't catch on my thumb nail felt rough all along; not like rolls and dings but like it had had some gigantic wide wire edge ripped off of it. That's the best I could describe it.

Of course I didn't really care I was going to sharpen it anyway.

Now for the very best edge out of the box . . . hahahahaha . . . are you ready ? This is going to hurt so brace yourself :
Cold Steel Kitchen Classic Paring knife. All of about $9 shipped to my door.
Came literally hair whittling sharp ALONG THE ENTIRE EDGE ! ! ! !
Want to know what was "worse" I ordered two more from different vendors months apart and ALL OF THEM were that sharp. No bur or wire edge JUST SHARP.

See kids it can be done. ;)

Queen Cutlery, and a custom knifemaker here. The custom is a bit frustrating. Still trying to reprofile it. It would not cut paper when received.

I’ve got to say I’m pretty surprised to see so many people saying CRK. I’ve never owned any of his designs, but sheesh..

Back