Durable pen for office/recreational use

silenthunterstudios

Slipjoint Addict
Platinum Member
When I first started at my agency, we had a good selection of pens available to us. If you're familiar with Skilcraft, you know that the quality runs the gamut from poor to surprisingly good. Recently, due to budget constraints, if you ask for pens, you get a couple rather than a full box. Unfortunately, most of these pens literally fall apart when you are writing with them. I still use them, some run out of ink, some leak ink, some are very well made pens (executive pens, because usually only executives get them first).

About five years ago I picked up a space pen from REI, with a space pen cartridge. I lost it several months ago, and quickly replaced it. It is a great knife, but I want something more durable. I work in an office, and don't need anything crazy, and always put my pen back in my shirt pocket. I've seen the TiBolt pen, and while I like it, I don't know if I can justify the price. I've looked at the Uzi/Benchmade etc pens, and really don't want anything tactical, they are too unwieldy, for my clumsy/neuropathy laden paws.

Custom, production. I'm not really looking for any of the higher end pens, like you would get at Staples or Office Max under glass. I've seen quite a few knife makers coming out with pens, not all tactical, but like the TiBolt, something fun to play with but also well made.

I will also use this pen at home, camping, fishing etc. To make it easier to refill, it would be nice if it took a space pen cartridge. Pics and links would be a big help.

As I said, I have neuropathy, nerve damage from diabetes, my fingers freeze up, arthritis, etc. I don't need any big fat pens but not those tiny little pens I've seen at office supply stores either (a small space pen, too unwieldy for fat fingers).

I have a really nice pen with a cocobolo body from Tom Goodpasture, I picked it up from him at the Chesapeake Knife Show. I have no idea where it is. I think I paid about fifteen bucks for it, but it was a long time ago.

I'm a contractor for a federal agency and I regularly use pens by Surefire v4, 2 Hinderer Investigator (brass and copper) and a titanium/ carbon fiber Matthew Martin. I've got my eyes on a couple of Darrel Ralph DDR Go pens and the clicky pens by High Caliber Craftsmen. Most of these take either a Parker or Space Pen refill.

I like the Rite in the Rain pens. I have the black metal clicker pen but they also have some that look like the rubberized barrel that would be easy to hold on to.

They use a pressurized cartridge but it appears to be a rite in the rain one I don't know if that's a space pen refill.

About $15 bucks.

The Parker T Ball Jotter ballpoint pen has been around for decades. In the all stainless steel version, it is quite tough. It will run the Space refills, but I prefer the Parker refills because they write more smoothly. They made them with push button tops, sliding cap tops, and twisty tops. I like the sliding cap version because you can activate the pen with one hand without regrasping it.View attachment 657838 Here is the Gold version of it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this would be too fat or not. A little different version of the bolt action pen. It takes Space Pen refills but I've been using the Schmidt Easy Flow 9000 refills.

I paid right around $50 about 2 1/2 years ago. Grand Prairie Knives has a couple of these with different finishes than this one in stock for $30-$40.

http://www.gpknives.com/boker-carbon-fiber-ink-pen-09bo078-bolt-action.html

Boker Plus K.I.D. .50 CAL Bolt Action.

Last edited:
Psssst, Dan, over here!

Think Zebra 301. :thumbup::thumbup:

Extremely smooth, not real expensive, and available lots of places. The 301 is a great, as is the clear see through Z-Grip.

Take a look at Karas Kustoms pens.

Nice CNNC/lathe turned pieces. Chunky and durable, but are made out of aluminum so they are not bricks in the hand. Most of their offerings take the G2 refill so they are cheap to keep running. ps. They also make some nice fountain pen offerings.

My favorite EDC pen is a Zebra F-701. Cheap refills and it writes great with a nice grip.

I kind of like these Schrade combo pens. I think they kind of pitch them as a "tactical kubaton" , but they are simply better as pens. If you are really looking for a tactical weapon, there are much better options out there.

I picked up a couple to test out. Liked them, and turned around and ordered about 30 more of them. Given as Christmas gifts to office associates, friends, family and a couple neighbors.

I got half in silver and half in black. They came with both ballpoint tip, and fountain tip. As well as extra ink cartridges. They use the Schmidt inks, with I think ceramic roller ball.

I've never purchased expensive pens. Just received a few gift sets over the years. But I really like these Schrade pens. They are very smooth. I've also come to re-appreciate the fountain pen. I now keep two pens on my office desk. One set up for roller, the other fountain.

343p3kk.jpg

•••••••••••••••

Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

How about a Hinderer pen? I have one, and I LOVE it. I have had it for many years.

Back