How To Dye g10 with carbon fiber inlay.

Just picked up a civivi statera, beautiful knife, but I don’t like the OD green on the g10 part of the scales. I would like to dye it Maroon to better match the gold liners but I don’t want to change the color of the carbon fiber inlay. What would be the best way to go about this?

Thanks!

I would be interested to know too. I have dyed whole pieces of g10 with great success with the powder but the liquid didn't work for me. I don't know if you can mask since the solution is boiling and whatever mask you use would likely boil off.

I would be interested to know too. I have dyed whole pieces of g10 with great success with the powder but the liquid didn't work for me. I don't know if you can mask since the solution is boiling and whatever mask you use would likely boil off.
My thoughts exactly.

I have an idea. It’s risky but...
I’ve been looking at the knife and thinking, take the scale and submerse and suspend it in dye just up to the carbon fiber. Maybe unfold two paper clips and make little hooks at the bottom. Use the pivot hole and screw hole at the other end. My theory is that the holes in the middle of the scale will allow the dye to fill the center void.

Other than that, the carbon fiber is black. My guess is it should not take any dye color if the scale is fully submerged but you never know.

I’ve been looking at the knife and thinking, take the scale and submerse and suspend it in dye just up to the carbon fiber. Maybe unfold two paper clips and make little hooks at the bottom. Use the pivot hole and screw hole at the other end. My theory is that the holes in the middle of the scale will allow the dye to fill the center void.

Other than that, the carbon fiber is black. My guess is it should not take any dye color if the scale is fully submerged but you never know.
Interesting idea. Now I'm wondering can carbon fiber be dyed? Never tried that.

Hmmm... might have to try that!

It shouldn't affect the CF at all. If'n it is authentic CF. The question is, since green is a combination of blue & yellow, would you get brown if you add red? Or will it come out like you think? Heck, I'd try it anywho. :D

It shouldn't affect the CF at all. If'n it is authentic CF. The question is, since green is a combination of blue & yellow, would you get brown if you add red? Or will it come out like you think? Heck, I'd try it anywho. :D
Yeah, I believe it is authentic, and even if the g10 comes out brown, it would look better with the gold liners than the green. I’m just gonna go for it and let y’all know. Thanks for all the feedback

I just looked this knife up. Looks nice. I would be very worried that the carbon could separate from the g10 when you boil it. Under normal circumstances a solid piece of g10 is pressure and heat bonded but I don't know how they attach the carbon on this knife and since it's a different material I would worry that the bond is not as good as a normal bond of the same material. Personally I wouldn't risk it unless you are skilled at reassembley of these materials.

I just looked this knife up. Looks nice. I would be very worried that the carbon could separate from the g10 when you boil it. Under normal circumstances a solid piece of g10 is pressure and heat bonded but I don't know how they attach the carbon on this knife and since it's a different material I would worry that the bond is not as good as a normal bond of the same material. Personally I wouldn't risk it unless you are skilled at reassembley of these materials.
What if I were to dip the scales in and out of the dye every minute to let them cool until I get my color?

What if I were to dip the scales in and out of the dye every minute to let them cool until I get my color?
The issue is see is I doubt they used standard thermoset bonding to secure the two materials so whatever bonding agent they use may soften when boiled. You could contact the maker and ask.
So if you boil off the carbon you can reattach with epoxy but you will need to flat sand both pieces for the bond to hold.

Already seen someone change the color to like a purple or something I'm colorblind. On a civi with cf overlay and g10. Iirc it may have been a statera... Can't remember. It was on ig. Don't remember who did it. But the cf was un affected.

Think it may have been...
https://instagram.com/edcgearhouse?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=ighwiordtfmm

But I couldn't find it on his stories or saved stories. So maybe that wasn't the right one.

Last edited:
I think it looks great with the Green and gold IMO but for $68 bucks I say give it a go and hope for the best :thumbsup:. Whatever happens you will have a one off. Let us know what happens.

Back