1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dyeing the inside as well -> rub off?

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Hengelo_77, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I want to make a black sheath for a black slip joint.
    Outside and inside black will look best imho, but will the dye rub off on the knife?

I have oil based Fiebings leather dye

2. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    There may be some. Try leather that is dyed black at the tannery. Both Herman Oak and Wicket and Craig do that here and Springfield will sell small pieces of Herman Oak. Ya should be able to locate some over there.

Hengelo_77 likes this.
  3. rtmind

rtmind

Mar 8, 2013
    Dave's advise would be the best solution. If you really want to use the natural leather you have on hand, try dyeing the leather blue first, then you will only need a light coat of black to get the deep black color you are looking for. The more black you use, the more of the dye particles that will be left on the surface to rub off. Learned this trick from a knife maker friend, after a customers black belt stained the seat of his Lexus and I had to eat the cost of the leather replacement. rtmind/Randy

Horsewright likes this.
  4. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Ouch!

5. darkmatter35

darkmatter35

Aug 21, 2011
    If you buy pre-dyed black leather make sure it's (struck through ).
    John