E52100 same as 52100?

As far as I know they are the same .If E means made in an electric furnace I wonder what 52100 isn't ! Much of the alloy goes into bearing which are made to high quality standards [low amount of inclusions] so have S and P max content .

very good, thanks mete i just got a rod of this at 3 feet long and brand new so i didnt want to play guessing games. i figured was same but want to make sure.

I've been told that there are two different grades of 52100. One is vacuum melted, while the other is not. ??? Maybe the "E" has something to do with this? I'm sure somebody will know.

PROPERTIES;MICROSCOPY;STEELS E52100

Ball-bearing grade E52100 steel and two of its Si modifications (1 wt% and 2 wt% Si) are examined for improved mechanical properties.^Hardness, tensile and toughness testing have been done.^Optical and scanning electron microscopy have been used to correlate microstructure with observed mechanical properties.^It is found that use of high austenitization temperatures and/or Si modification give large amounts of retained austenite.^Isothermal transformations subsequent to single or two-cycle austenitization give mixed microstructures of lower bainite, martensite and retained austenite.^These offer the potential of achieving high strength-toughness combinations which could make this high carbon steel attractive for alternate applications.

52100 steel

52100 steel is a high-carbon chromium alloy steel, which, because of its versatility, is used in a variety of mechanical applications. In the annealed condition this steel is comparatively easy to machine, yet very high hardness and abrasion resistance can be developed by heat treatment to make the steel particularly suitable for applications requiring extreme wear resistance. In addition, 52100 steel can be heat treated to high levels of tensile strength and fatigue strength.
I hoped this has answered your question. God bless and have a great day.

Barkes:thumbup:
http://my.hsonline.net/wizard/knifehop.htm

thanks barkes but after first paragraph im more confused then when i started, from reading it i think i assume that the E52100 is slighlty modified for better what? not sure. So i should HT the same as regular 52100 is also another assumpition.

thanks barkes but after first paragraph im more confused then when i started, from reading it i think i assume that the E52100 is slighlty modified for better what? not sure. So i should HT the same as regular 52100 is also another assumpition.

Yes I would do that, and then check the hardens and see what you come out with. Use
a piece of scrap to do your trial test. Then check the hardness. You may need to adjust the heat treating time, and tampering settings to achieve the proper results. But I think you will be ok with that. I hope this was helpful and educational to you. In my shop I test steel all the time, and come up with better ways to do things. Have a great 2007 Dakota.
Barkes :thumbup:
When I leave this world I would like to be known by the one who make the knife from start to finish.

http://my.hsonline.net/wizard/knifeshop.htm

Hi.
As far as I know, there are at least three compositions of 52100 which have been developed . Sullivan Steel (one of the US distributors) calls them 52100, MOD 1 52100, and MOD 2 52100.

The differences pretty much relate to the section thickness that is being hardened.. For example, MOD 1 is recommended for section of 1/2 to 3/4 inch and MOD 2 for sections 3/4 to 1 1/2 inch thick....To accomodate these differences in steel thickness, the % of chemical content of the alloy is changed.

These subtle changes will also make a difference to the recommended hardening (critical temperatures)....for example, 52100 will be between 1525 and 1550F and MOD 2 is recommended as being between 1400 - 1490F.

I am not sure what E52100 is.

If you have a chemical analysis of your steel sample then I may be able to compare them with the data I have.

well here is description from page i bought from Bearing quality aircraft grade e52100 alloy steel, meets astm A108 & astm A295 believe of top of head was purchase from macmaster web site.

The 52100 that We use is E52100 we just got used to calling it 52100 and dropped the E. I would forge out a small blade and heat treat as per Ed and then test it to destruction if I were you.

Back