Early Endura Clipit

not2sharp

Platinum Member
IMG_0198 sm.jpg IMG_0203 sm.jpg

I cane across this early Endura recently and was curious about the missing pocket clip. Did someone remove the clip or was it omitted during manufacture? This is a Pinned AUS8 model.

n2s

It’s hard to tell in the photo. They used to be part of the scale and could snap off. Any signs of where it could have snapped off and the previous owner sanded it down?

Edit: now that I look closer I do see a line where the clip should be under the lanyard hole.

You are looking at the spot in the lower picture. There is a faint square area where the clip may have gone, but, there is no evidence that the area was refinished. The texture looks very uniformed across the scale. If someone removed it, they did a very neat mod.

n2s

Interesting. I don't know of any clip-less versions (ala the Gen1/2 Police) of the Endura.

Nothing mentioned in SpydieWiki or Spyderco Source about such a variation that I could find either. Perhaps Sal will chime in to say if there was a clipless version offered or not back in the early days of the Endura.

Probably just removed the clip and did a good job of sanding/buffing it smooth. The 2 brown spots in the photo may be where the clip was originally mounted. The wear on the "clip side" may also help to hide the work that was done.

Here's a pic of the Gen 1 Eudura Clip-its from my collection; the way they "should" look.

tIgLw6ol.jpg

Last edited:
It's pretty common to sand off the remains when the lip breaks off. It looks like that one was done more neatly than most.

Way, way back in the day, I seem to recall Spyderco selling these at a deep discount in their factory store, and at the early 2nds sales. I believe the story was that they were warranty returns that were fixed up and resold w/o warranty. I could be slightly off in my recollection, however.

Having said that, my father-in-law does indeed have one that I am sure he purchased from the old Spyderco store in Golden.

Back