1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Early lockup?

Discussion in 'Rick Hinderer Knives' started by Blinkknives, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Blinkknives

Blinkknives Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    Just looking for some opinions. I hear many times as plus for a knife that it has early lockup. I was just cleaning up an 3.5 slicer and thought I would post a pic for some comments on the early lockup.

Moreover, does anyone value early lockup? Does anyone worry about failure of the lock slipping and disengaging? is this lockup too early?

Thanks for you time gents.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423189523.622570.jpg

2. xxfalconxx

xxfalconxx

Dec 19, 2013
    Trevor.........the lockbar (where it contacts the blade) is carbidized (hardened) titanium.......and the blade is obviously stainless steel of one sort or another depending on what XM and what Gen you have.......

Where they meet is an area of wear.....where the two metals touch and rub......

An early lock up just means that you have tons of room for "wearing"......but the wearing happens extremely slowly.......it is likely not something that should ever be a concern for most people......
    There is no "value" to an early lock up.......
    As long as your XM locks up solidly, it really makes no difference if the lockup is at 10%, 20% or 30%........it's just something we knife geeks like to talk about......
    (Please someone correct me if I am mistaken......)

3. Blinkknives

May 28, 2012
    Thanks Ross, Locks up solid and is a new very lightly used knife, I was just looking at it a started thinking about the strength such an early lockup. I'm not that stressed about it. I thought I'd see what you guys with more XM experience thought.

4. RDA

RDA

Aug 6, 2010
    Are you gingerly engaging the lock to get that early lock-up or are you opening it with a little authority? If you put a little pressure on the cutting edge, does it engage the lock a little more?

Regardless, if you are gripping the knife for any serious work, you are only going to increase the tension on the lockbar, one of the advantages of a frame lock.

5. Blinkknives

May 28, 2012
    I get the same lockup if I either slip the knife open til I hear a click or if I snap open with some wrist flick.. Even pressing the lock to try to get the lockbar to engage more it won't move any further over. I have to say the lockup does feel very solid. And there is an audible clip when the knife opens.

6. Need2Know

Need2Know

Aug 31, 2011
    It's good to go since it locks with authority...and RDA pointed out an advantage to frame-locking knives...applying a good grip can put additional pressure on the lockbar to better assure no issues.

7. RDA

RDA

Aug 6, 2010
    Agreed, sounds like you have good early solid lock-up and are good to go.

8. Blinkknives

May 28, 2012
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the input!

9. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    To give the Op an idea of how Hinderers "wear" this knife is several years old and has been carried EDC for most of that time.

[​IMG]

10. RDA

RDA

Aug 6, 2010
    Whew, you are wearing that thing out. Looks like the dust bunnies have taken over that lint magnet.

So, how many times has that lock failed over the last several years?

<evil grin>

11. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    I either need to fire the maid or get a crappier phone camera - my Mom would be ashamed of me, I can hear her now, "Well, I certainly hope people know you were raised better than that. Do you have clean underwear on young man?"
    God bless Mom.

That RHK has been my true friend and man o' man has it been opened and closed a few times over the years.

12. Need2Know

Need2Know

Aug 31, 2011
    Rubi and Hammer may recall how embarrassingly lint-filled a couple of my XMs were after driving several hours with them (the knives) in my pockets to the Ranch awhile ago. :(

My users haven't had noticeable lockbar movement and NEVER have they failed.

13. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    I guess it balances out.... If you look under my bed there are knives :)

14. endgamer

endgamer Banned BANNED

Apr 27, 2013
    earlt loxk up is good if its 15% or more.I had,a 3.5 with about 10% lock up and was just spine wacking it into the palm of my hand ,the lock slipped and the blade stuck right into my knuckle.bad ,bad cut.took a chip of bone offand it took over a month to heal.still doesnt look that good.I wasnt wacking it hard at all.I guess never spine wack a frame lock .never!.I prefer 25% to 40% lockup with carbadized lock faces cause they realy dont wear.I flick mine open all day and there is no sign of wear at all.just shows you how good these knives are made.I hate lock stick.if you have a ti framelock you must carbadize the lock .takes no time and saves the lock.I dont understand why all knife makets dont do this.my zt560 I had to use my keys to dislodge the lock.then it developed lock rock.why not just carbadize it zt .stridets need early lock up cause it wears fast and will develop lock rock and blade play .hinderers doesnt realy matter much lock will stay where it is forever

15. Trabireiter

Trabireiter

Mar 10, 2008
    there is much more to it than carbidizing like the angle of the mating surfaces, how much contact area there is and where it is. Hinderer has all these things right, that is why the locks wear slow or not visibly at all and that is also why we do not hear of lock rock and such.