Easy paracord kydex lock

Hey guys.

If you need to guarantee that your knife won't fall out of a kydex sheath, I found it is very simple to do with a short piece of 550 cord. Any string with decent strength and small enough diameter to fit through the talon hole will work. I am assuming all Busse sheaths come with those.

Insert the knife into the sheath, thread the cordage through the talon hole, and come up over the handle to tie your knot. Make sure there's no slack. If the knife tries to come out of the sheath, the cordage going through the talon hole won't move. I hope this was easy to follow and I hope even more that Busse makers all put talon holes in their kydex so that this isn't useless, haha (mine was from David Brown)

Sorry if this is a well-known trick, I just thought of it.

with retention methods it's always a question of blade secureness vs. ease of deployment ...

While everyone agrees having a blade locked down is a good thing, sometimes you need to get to your blade fast, and even more often you need to be able to withdraw your blade one handed...

if I'm picturing what you describe correctly, wouldn't you have to have two hands to untie the knot?

Ideas are always welcome here, thanks for sharing and keep em coming! :)

I don't think I can post photos from other makers here, but Winkler uses a strong stretch cord on his ax sheaths.
Its secure, easy to release (one hand). attach it on one side stretch it to the other at the tension you want and it is secured in a notch.
I have a lot of faith in this system...

I think it is only Dave Brown's kydex that regularly used a hole to match the talon hole. I have used a 550 cored retainer through this for years.

This is how I lock my AA in the sheath. It's easy to pop out in a hurry if need be. Just use the index finger.
HVr3f2l.jpg

nATDy6y.jpg

Gi19kfZ.jpg

When not in use.
JpCrloG.jpg

This is the exact reason I started doing this about 20 years ago :)

It is hard to get the hole exactly lined up sometimes, but I do my best.

Like the talon hole has been a trademark for Busse the coordinating hole in the sheath has helped me and others identify my sheaths for almost 20 years, even from across a room .

I even did it on holsters for a while so you could lock a pistol in them and make them safe if you are into that.

Glad you all like it.

funny I think I remember Papathud telling me How to do that with your sheathes like 15 years ago.

with retention methods it's always a question of blade secureness vs. ease of deployment ...

While everyone agrees having a blade locked down is a good thing, sometimes you need to get to your blade fast, and even more often you need to be able to withdraw your blade one handed...

if I'm picturing what you describe correctly, wouldn't you have to have two hands to untie the knot?

Ideas are always welcome here, thanks for sharing and keep em coming! :)
I'm using 550 cord, and if I tie a simple shoelace knot it's still secure but very easy to untie with one hand. Pulling hard on one of the ends is sure to untie the knot, and from there you can just pull the cordage out of the hole, and there is nothing getting in the way of your drawing the blade. I've found it's easy to do with one hand.

Back