EDC as camp knife-Firemaking-Review 1 of ?

I've been carrying my larger blades in the woods with me lately but, wanted to see how my EDC would perform as a general camp knife in case weight/space was a concern. First test up is firemaking.

Specs: O1 steel. 3 1/8" blade. 3/16" thick. 6 7/8" overall.

First a pic of it compared to my camp knife from JK. It sure is a little fellow. How could this little bugger be any good for the woods is what most people are probably thinking, but dont let its size fool ya.
edccamp1.jpg

Here it is after batonning off a small chunk of fatwood.
edccamp2.jpg

Further processing of the fatwood. It takes a very keen edge, and even though its 3/16" thick, did this job with ease.
edccamp3.jpg

Batonned 2 - 2.5" diameter pieces of pine into kindling.
edccamp4.jpg

Shot of the knife with the fire blazing.
edccamp5.jpg

The only things the EDC couldn't do that my larger knives can is chop wood and baton thicker firewood. Along with my estwing axe this knife seems to be all the blade I need in the woods.

Next up I'll be doing tests on how well it skins game and fish. If any of you guys would like me to use it for a specific task let me know and I'll get right on it.

EDIT: Just after submitting I realized there appears to be a little contradiction in what I said about saving weight/space with a smaller knife and then saying at the end the EDC is great paired up with an axe. I go no where in the woods without my axe, it's always on me. I won't even entertain the idea of going into the woods without my axe. Just wanted to clear that up before I got called on it. :p

Thats a sweet looking EDC. Is it a little larger than the standard one, with a clip pointed blade? I thought I'd settled on the RWC for my next JK then you go and post this!

Brandon

Thanks guys, I've never done reviews before and this was enjoyable. Looking forward to doing more.

duck>I'm not sure what size it is compared to the standard EDC. Some fella ordered it and then didn't pay up so I got it instead.

Nice pics, it looks like your EDC would make a great field dressing and skinning blade. Something small
can be perfect for working inside and around an animal.

Thats a sweet looking EDC. Is it a little larger than the standard one, with a clip pointed blade? I thought I'd settled on the RWC for my next JK then you go and post this!

Brandon

It is a little larger than standard. This was a special order Anniversary EDC. It`s got a 3 3/4" handle, and a 3 1/8" blade of 3/16" thick O1. Standard size has a 3" blade and 3 1/2" handle, and is 1/8" thick.

It is a little larger than standard. This was a special order Anniversary EDC. It`s got a 3 3/4" handle, and a 3 1/8" blade of 3/16" thick O1. Standard size has a 3" blade and 3 1/2" handle, and is 1/8" thick.

Thanks for clearing that up, John. I was thinking mine is smaller than the standard model.

Back