Edc hard use knives used hard

Here’s a pic from this past winter, had to run some temp wire to re-energize some switches and 620 had stripping duties
GxtGHLn.jpg

I don't have very broad hard hands and just yesterday I found a plastic bag of marshmallows too tough for me to tear open. I used my Victorinox classic to cut the bag, and then the marshmallow in half. I didn't want to hurt my teeth.:eek:

I hear that. I've got fairly soft hands from lots of office work. Most of my "field time" was spent wielding things like pencils, clipboards, and measuring tools. Now, circumstances have left me with nerve damage on both sides and regular pain in my hands. I have good days and bad but one thing remains constant. A knife makes life easier.

Why tear, bite, or rip when you can simply sail through with a good blade?

I understand using a knife for all sorts of improvised tasks. I'm guilty of having used knives to pry, scrape, or even turn a screw in my youth. I've just never done that to a nice knife. If you don't have a lot of tools handy, a POS beater knife can do a lot. Barring emergencies though, my ordinary EDC knife is going to be a reserved cutter. When you can get your hands on a more appropriate tool, why beat up on your primary cutter?

2130276D-F2DC-4CCE-BB91-FA3F1104E1B7.jpeg 6FEF816C-AD03-4184-B83A-B551236797C5.jpegFD182C62-BF41-485C-AADB-5E8DAF0FA226.jpeg B77F4712-B3F9-4E27-B066-EC19C58E9715.jpeg 7BA41019-41F1-4B5D-BA04-93211C2B93B6.jpeg CB3B419F-6C49-447A-9F37-64117FA5220B.jpegLove a good Crk for work. These are just a few recycled pics I had on my phone that hadn’t deleted yet. Grounded out my 21 tanto and blew a nice notch In it. Knives are built to use and that’s what I enjoy doing with them. Don’t have any pics of my Insingo’s working but it makes a great shape as well. Especially for stripping cable and wire

600, then a 1000 stone mostly. I use it quite often and hate a dull blade.

I agree 100%. I have sharpness OCD. Ever try a diamond paste on a smooth leather strop to maintain? I highly recommend it. I can keep an edge sharp for a few months between an ultra fine ceramic and that.

Never tried it, but I think it might be a great option for me. Have an old school shoemaker near me and he always has large scraps of leather laying behind the counter. Any recommendations on the paste?

Never tried it, but I think it might be a great option for me. Have an old school shoemaker near me and he always has large scraps of leather laying behind the counter. Any recommendations on the paste?

I experimented for a long time . I ended with DMT .5 micron paste. I use it on a smooth leather strop. The rear side has bare suede/ rough side to finish the edge. Never looked back.

Granted. You need a nice initial edge to start with.

I made a few strops myself and tried many compounds. But they never matched what I purchased at a certain vendor + diamond paste. I will send a PM. You can get the paste and use it on some leather from your shoemaker. I did the same. But make sure it's not treated . Or results will be dismal.

Last edited:
View attachment 1245402 View attachment 1245404View attachment 1245403 View attachment 1245405 View attachment 1245406 View attachment 1245407Love a good Crk for work. These are just a few recycled pics I had on my phone that hadn’t deleted yet. Grounded out my 21 tanto and blew a nice notch In it. Knives are built to use and that’s what I enjoy doing with them. Don’t have any pics of my Insingo’s working but it makes a great shape as well. Especially for stripping cable and wire

Yowza! The arc mark looks pretty dope!

I don't have very broad hard hands and just yesterday I found a plastic bag of marshmallows too tough for me to tear open. I used my Victorinox classic to cut the bag, and then the marshmallow in half. I didn't want to hurt my teeth.:eek:
My Ikuchi and Kapara live for tasks like this...for now they settle for amazon Christmas shipments!

I have a pair of craftsmen pliers I got for Christmas when I was 8. They look new
pretty much...but I have used the hell out of them...and never abused them.
I am now 58. Good tool users use their tools properly and care for them too.

I don't respect beat up tools. I respect tools that look new and fail from fatigue.
Some of my extensions and sockets have failed by fracturing after 35+ years of service.
And they still looked good when they failed!

Most of my tools, knives included, look minty. Which contrary to popular opinion
has nothing to do with how hard they have been used!

I agree with the DMT dia-paste.. I've been using it for years and unless they discontinue it, won't be using anything else. I use 6, 3, and .5. it's fantastic stuff.

Back