What should I get

• Fixed

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Folder

Votes: 18 75.0%

• Total voters

Novak77

Gold Member
I think I need to switch to a fixed blade for EDC. I seem to be way too hard on my pocket knife clips. Somehow, somewhere yesterday my Koenig Arius came out of my pocket. I'm a superintendent and I climb in, around and up and down houses all day long. Guessing the Arius got caught on something and left my pocket.

Sooooooo should I switch to a fixed blade? Or should I suck it up and get another Koenig or maybe a Chris Reeve?

Rear pocket carry is more secure for me unless I'm rolling on the floor.

I sew a seam up the right side of my right rear pocket. Can be done with clip or clipless knives.

If fixed, you may look at ugly but functional Kydex or plastic sheaths that the knife snaps into. The Mora plastic sheaths are made for just what you describe, although only work with a lowly Mora.

Pocket sheath, it takes some getting use to, yes, it gets all cattywompus in your pocket but you won’t have to worry about it being snagged out of your pocket. Who’s to say you won’t have a fixed blade get snagged also ? If you put a fixed blade on a belt in a sheath, it protrudes out more than a clipped knife. Just something to think about. You can also get a nice sheath made for a folder that will flap over the knife with a snap to hold it.
Go with what you know, if the Koenig does it for you, stick with that. If you want to try something new, go with a CRK, since it’s a work knife, I’d say the Umnumzaan or Inkosi is the route to go.

Get cold steel code 4, that pocket clip is not getting snagged on anything and it's an inexpensive quality knife. Or throw endura in your pocket without a clip and get a fixed blade :)

Cable knife, pair of snips & a sheath that secures both. Sounds weird cuz ya not a cable repairman, but I haven't done cable work in years & still regularly use these tools.

Btw, the snips can cut right through a penny & the blade is cryo treated; stays sharp for months after heavy use.
9inkcEt.png

Pocket sheath, it takes some getting use to, yes, it gets all cattywompus in your pocket but you won’t have to worry about it being snagged out of your pocket. Who’s to say you won’t have a fixed blade get snagged also ? If you put a fixed blade on a belt in a sheath, it protrudes out more than a clipped knife. Just something to think about. You can also get a nice sheath made for a folder that will flap over the knife with a snap to hold it.
Go with what you know, if the Koenig does it for you, stick with that. If you want to try something new, go with a CRK, since it’s a work knife, I’d say the Umnumzaan or Inkosi is the route to go.

☝️This! I have a KSF pocket sheath and I carry a small fixed blade, a lock back folder and a pen. It stays flat and doesn't shift in pocket. Sorry about your Arius, BTW.

whichever you decide fixed or folder you may want to consider a sheath carry like something from Horsewright Horsewright ... he makes alot of well thought designs and uses them on a working ranch ...

those may give you a carry option for either type knife that is secure and out of the way.

Last edited:
Cable knife, pair of snips & a sheath that secures both. Sounds weird cuz ya not a cable repairman, but I haven't done cable work in years & still regularly use these tools.

Btw, the snips can cut right through a penny & the blade is cryo treated; stays sharp for months after heavy use.
9inkcEt.png
That setup is just about bullet proof

I carry my folders inside the waistband, right-side, aka appendix carry. If your knife has a decent clip there's no way it's coming out, and you'd be surprised how it ends up conforming to your body and the various positions you find yourself in. Might give it a try.

I think I need to switch to a fixed blade for EDC. I seem to be way too hard on my pocket knife clips. Somehow, somewhere yesterday my Koenig Arius came out of my pocket. I'm a superintendent and I climb in, around and up and down houses all day long. Guessing the Arius got caught on something and left my pocket.

Sooooooo should I switch to a fixed blade? Or should I suck it up and get another Koenig or maybe a Chris Reeve?
Man, hope you are not a superintendent in a school. Can you slip the knife in a pocket that zips up?

I'm sorry you lost your knife but that is exactly the reason I have a quality inexpensive workhorse knife.

I carry a spyderco police Fully Serrated

I'm sorry you lost your knife but that is exactly the reason I have a quality inexpensive workhorse knife.

Inexpensive? Hardly a budget folder. Well, it is compared to the Arius.

But yeah, a cheap beatery thing would be my suggestion as well.

Get one of each.

For the folder, get one with a handle with texture that makes removal from the pocket a bit difficult.

A fixed blade is not immune from falling out of a pocket. Consider a kydex sheath well anchored to your belt or a leather sheath with a retention strap.

Last edited:

That. Get a cheaper knife for work.

Sorry you lost the Arius, but I'd carry something much cheaper as a work knife. I normally carry an Umnumzaan right now, but if I'm "working" I switch to a Spyderco Tenacious or Resilience.

Obviously a lot of other solutions as well, but losing a $40 Tenacious would be far less painful.

whichever you decide fixed or folder you may want to consider a sheath carry like something from Horsewright Horsewright ... he makes alot of well thought designs and uses them on a working ranch ...

those may give you a carry option fir either type knife that is secure and out of the way.

Thanks for the recommendation. For a folder ya might think of a Buckaroo Pouch/Folder Pouch. It back threads onto a belt loop and will keep a folder secure yet easy to access by just pulling on the thong. Use your knife, leave the pouch hanging and then put your knife back in the pouch when you are done and toss back in your pocket.

aulT5eR.jpg

sKfpYLp.jpg

89gnFlu.jpg

jF66XcV.jpg

PPQCKXR.jpg

I also make a belt sheath for a folder:

QXjJlSi.jpg

ZykjA6c.jpg

3A5lyvP.jpg

For fixed blades I make all kinds of different sheaths. Most carry horizontal or nearly so:

Pancake sheath.

c7Qx1vx.jpg

Horizontal sheath.

lB3dXIk.jpg

Gordo sheath.

6u3omMy.jpg

D6daQXe.jpg

Hope this helps some. Lots of choices.

Back