EDC VI Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I modded my 'Zaan today, therefore I must carry it:D

It went from this (stonewash w/ Oxi treatment):
9DB43CA3-3DF7-4B0E-9699-DE03794915B5_zpsidbmpcfz.jpg

To this (stonewash w/ full Oxi treatment):
7A8874D4-2CB9-49F7-A145-76E6E43D7FE1_zpsfnnqvrqq.jpg

To this (finished handle w/ acid washed blade):
EA2BD3F8-0274-42B3-86C5-D2381AD72259_zpsvbobezfk.jpg

I like it:)

This fills me with idears.

This fills me with idears.

6 main ingredients:

-1 'Zaan
-Some Ferric Chloride for the blade (via RadioShack aka PCB etching solution)
-OxiClean to anodize the ti (not Oxyclean!)
-Boiling water (add Oxi to water)
-Ceramic polishing media (Harbor Freight)
-soapy water (for ceramic media)

The ceramic media comes in a blue tub. Dump half of the stuff out, add some soapy water, toss in your 'Zaan scales and/or blade, and shake like hell! You can throw it in your dryer for about 20min too, wrap it in a towel and don't use any heat!

Boil some Oxi/water and toss in the ti for a good 30min or more. I think I went for about an hour or two. Check it often and add water as needed, or the water will evaporate and you'll have burning Chems in your house (ask me how I know:)).

Acid washing is straight forward. Dip the blade in acid to desired darkness, then shake like hell in your ceramic media tub. Put some nail polish on the lockface and pivot areas to keep the tolerances correct.

You probably know most (if not all) of this, but thought I'd still share with everyone.

Thanks for this cool info. Question. What is the difference between the "oxi treatment"(first pic) and the FULL oxi treatment? Also, if I understand correctly, the oxi is what changes the color to a blue-ish color? Does more soak time mean darker color?

Thanks, seen this all before but never really wanted to try until now lol. Thanks and it looks great. Just wondering why the oxi clean as opposed to anodizing whatever preferred color through electricity.

Dave

Thanks for this cool info. Question. What is the difference between the "oxi treatment"(first pic) and the FULL oxi treatment? Also, if I understand correctly, the oxi is what changes the color to a blue-ish color? Does more soak time mean darker color?

Thanks, seen this all before but never really wanted to try until now lol. Thanks and it looks great. Just wondering why the oxi clean as opposed to anodizing whatever preferred color through electricity.

Dave

The "full" treatment was just a longer soak, and a longer soak equals different colors, not darker. Google search "titanium spectrum" and you'll see the different phases of color you can achieve.

The difference with electricity, is you will get solid colors that can be controlled much more strictly. Oxi tends to be "random" in color of you let it sit long enough.

PM me if you want more info.

Theyre like a fine wine, especially the worn out G-10

How do you like your minimalist wallet? Ive put in for one for xmas (Trayvax) to give it a go...Im sure it will be a slight learning curve, but we'll see ;)

It's great! Easy to get used to and I never looked back.

I picked up this Laconico Baby Bear here on the xchange recently. Just the right size for edc.

vGpvuBr.jpg

Today, I'm carrying a wacky/tacky-lol clownmando folder in Helen Roper Camouflage...

copper01_zpsyde0scfv.jpg

Case CopperLock SS in Kaleidoscope Caribbean Blue Bone

-Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back