EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

13a0e4e98ed962d1e9cd31fec63db5da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Precisely! Drops of mustard, with some apple cider vinegar mixed in for good measure (not sure if necessary but I like the results so I just always add it). Applied with a toothpick. Then let it sit for about a half an hour, rinse, and repeat. It's the overlapping from the second coat where the colors really come out. There's a pretty good tutorial on YouTube where a guy does it on a Opinel.

For the main blade I just let it happen naturally with a couple weeks of fruit cutting. I pretty much do this with all of my multi-blade carbon steel knives, letting the main blade patina naturally then forcing one on the secondary blade.

I know this is not what you were asking, but for anyone interested here's how I put a patina on the brass flashlight. Make a mix of apple cider vinegar and salt in a container. Then use metal screen (or something similar) to cerate a shelf where the item can rest above the liquid. Put the item in, close the container and let the fumes from the mixture do the work without the liquid ever touching the item.

Anyhow, some more pics of blades I've done this to:

GHlYIyT.jpg

cMfoDon.jpg

JzOnz9A.jpg
Nice man. Yea that's exactly how I pictured you doing it, using a toothpick or q-tip in my head haha. I didn't think of the apple cider vinegar though. And I like your idea of using a screen and the fumes!

Today was a Thick Three Rivers Thursday with my ME Fragged, RJ Martin designed Machine Flipper, bladed with a fat chunk of nicely ground and superbly edged CTS-XHP. Despite all that thickness and the somewhat tacti-cool blade shape, the very pointy, Spanto-like tip makes for excellent piercing and the hollow grind is a surprisingly effective cutter/slicer.

By5jGqK.jpg

mW2vGzZ.jpg

The handle is also both broad and thick making it super solid in hand with it's unusual bi-directional palm swell.

ijIHRT4.jpg

Back