EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

GXUKm6O.jpg

1) From the left, Mokume Gane bracelet by Anne Wolf;
2) Patek Philippe Aquanaut (a fancy version of the field watch);
3) Money clip by @williamhenry_studio and features a Mokume Gane frame with carbon fiber insert;
4) Next is a RovyVon Aurora flashlight 🔦 In titanium;
5) First knife is a full custom slip joint by Joel Chamblin and has a modified Wharncliffe blade with harpoon swedge in CPM 154 and lightning strike carbon fiber covers;
6) On the right is a full custom slip joint by Alan Davis and has a blade in Vegas Forge carbon Damascus and carved Elk Horn covers.

IMG_2902.JPG

The first knife I bought from Walter Wells was almost seven years ago at this point, and each I've bought from him since then has been special, and a great experience working with him on the builds. Here's a handful of them (there have been others):

zgDgJvt.jpeg

As the saying goes, a picture is worth a 1000 words, and that one says it all! I appreciate it and plan on getting something from Wells in the near future.

EBF3E454-31D1-4750-86ED-8DF3B96D8A3F.jpeg
This one today

Do you eat ‘em? How do they taste?

Fried squirrel tastes like fried chicken.

I've only shared a few squirrel hits on the forum but I've eaten plenty over the years. On the one hand, I was taught to eat what I kill as a kid. On the other hand, nobody expected me to eat the groundhogs and such I popped along farms. 🤷‍♂️

Really, it's the usual amount of work for a very small amount of meat and actually making a meal involved either a whole bunch of squirrels or padding out with veggies or other meats. Squirrel isn't particularly good but depends a bit on the time of year, etc. (They can have parasites and such so cook thoroughly and bail if they don't look right.) They tend to have that "gamey" flavor that chicken doesn't. If you are going to do it, I recommend overnight brine, seasoning, and cooking with butter. My grandmother used to soak them in Italian dressing and cook up pieces to serve on crackers.

Carrying the Pena X Barlow today, just finished sharpening it up, it was kinda sharp but now, very sharp, used my Shapton bench stones up to 500 grit

Tough to hold the phone while trying to cut through the free standing receipt paper ;)

G2

Last edited:
Not sure why, but I always feel compelled to pair Cheburkovs with a gun for a pic.

Anyway, went with the small Strizh for an 88 degree Tuesday in late November.

On a quick aside; high 80s in November just don’t feel right. Had to crank the AC down last night just so we could enjoy the ambiance of an inside fire with Monday night football. How ass-backwards is that?

FEC425EE-3007-40BB-AC01-AABC6ED8EAA2.jpeg17EF8B38-E913-457D-BFEB-5DB0131C0EA1.jpeg

Back