EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

zlXT2qo.jpg

I am carrying my Benchmade Bugout with Flytanium Micarta scales and S30V blade covered in Cerakote. Sweet knife it is!

The paint and body were OK so I haven't done anything with it yet, my dad calls it a 10 foot car because it looks fantastic from 10' but you can see the imperfection when you're next to it. When we got it the bumpers and grill were painted and other chrome pieces were pitted so we replaced all the chrome, redid the interior with as you saw nothing fancy, redid the bed and cleaned up everything under the hood, replaced all the hoses and some wiring. I would love to ship it backup to Ohio and with the help of my father Hot Rod it up but it's pretty darn close to original so I'm going to leave it as is for now, Dad has a 48 Flathead Ford V8 which I'll post a few picks of.

Todays carry GB2

hQxkhGf.jpg

u2qRXbH.jpg

Dad's 48

aWneOau.jpg

CQEdqAv.jpg
Both trucks look great

If we're talking about $40-$60 knives, Sencut (a sub-brand from WE Knives) and Petrified Fish are the best quality in that range.
Yep. I've have no complaints about PF, Sencut, or Civivi. I've had good experiences with all of them. Just not CJRB.

I've had very different experience with CJRB. I own 3 of their knives, and I wanted to like them, but all 3 have QC issues. I'm not impressed. :(

I'm glad you got a good one. 😉

This has been my experience with Artisan and CJRB. Setting aside the nonsense regarding AR-RPM9, I was already having trouble writing off these experiences as me being a small sample size or just having really bad luck. Sadly, dealing with their customer service put the final nail in the coffin, even if they did eventually try to make it right (months later).

If we're talking about $40-$60 knives, Sencut (a sub-brand from WE Knives) and Petrified Fish are the best quality in that range.

I spent most of my day today with a modified Smock in my pocket. It's a cool knife and it makes me happy. Once I was in for the day though, I switched to a $45 Sencut that was a little lighter in my flannel lounging pants. I did some cutting with it, including a few packages, a little cardboard, and some plastic bottles for a project. The action, ergonomics, and cutting geometry are just plain better. Sure, it's only 9Cr18Mov versus S30V but they give it a good heat treatment. Edge retention is in the same ballpark as Spyderco's VG-10 (which is definitely adequate for my EDC needs). I wish they'd capture their pivots but overall, Sencut is probably the best at their level.

Petrified Fish makes a decent knife. Sencut might be a little better in some ways but I've had a lot of PF knives and they've got some long-term models in my extended rotation. I prefer stainless but Petrified Fish is notable for doing some of the best budget D2.

Kizer recently took another stab at the budget end with their Laconic line. They have a bunch of models in 9Cr18Mov under $50. Most seem to use a solid G-10 slab on one side with a steel washer for the ceramic bearings to run against. Most are liner locks but I think a few are button locks. At least one uses multi-row bearings!

Last edited:
Back