"edc"

Good idea for a thread, Vince. I'm one of those older folks you mentioned. I've been carrying a pocket knife everyday since I was 8 years old? At that time, and for many years, it was a Cub Scout knife that was a gift from my folks. When I was a teen it was either one of those locking stiletto type knives or a small Ulster stock man, on occasion the scout knife.

In college and the USAF it was that same small stock man. When I started wearing a suit everyday, and had a few extra dollars, is when I started experimenting with knives. Oh boy it got crazy. But that is another story.

My edc for work ( I was a suit) was always a small slip joint or lock back. I had fixed blade knives for hunting and fishing so my edc didn't need to be big. I've always been one to use kitchen knives in the kitchen so a small knife was fine and easy to carry. I was also in and out of government facilities quite a bit so I didn't want some scary knife in my pocket, if I forgot to leave it in the car or hotel room. Most places I visited knew me and the security guys would hold my knife for me.

Now that I'm retired I carry, on most days, two slip joints. One is a little peanut sized stag Ohta and either a small Chamblin WT or the Case-Bose WT. I can't say I was never drawn to the WT. I just didn't know about them and when I discovered the pattern it seemed like just the ticket for me. The Ohta I use in a crowd to open packages and boxes and help those that don't have a sharpy with them. The WTs get used around the house or yard and maybe cut food if I'm out somewhere. I like to whittle a stick when I'm out in the woods and the WTs are good for that too. I could probably do without the Ohta but I am a knifenut. I still fish as often as the better half will allow and carry a dedicated fb knife for that.

Here's a pic to make my drawn out post more interesting.
a384eb3d-7666-484e-a4d4-b8c2d747fc56.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, I never thought I would like something like the Eureka Jack with spear blade when it came out. I was always more attracted to clip blades. However once I had one in hand it changed my entire perspective, to the point where I now find myself attracted to other spear blades like the recent Charlow.

IMG_5439_zpsc5d64c16.jpg

Personally, I never thought I would like something like the Eureka Jack with spear blade when it came out. I was always more attracted to clip blades. However once I had one in hand it changed my entire perspective, to the point where I now find myself attracted to other spear blades like the recent Charlow.

IMG_5439_zpsc5d64c16.jpg

So many times I hear from respected buyers,"I do not care for that style/shape" I say to myself,"I wonder if ever they tried" I really like the coping secondary blade hey put on those knife Mink

Good thread!

My own edc hs changed a lot as I got older. Mostly down in size and blade number. When I was 12, dad gave me a scout knife. It was the regular American pattern scout, about 3 1/2 inches closed, with the spear blade, can opener, bottle opener/screw driver, and awl. That knife was my sole edc until I enlisted in the army after high school. I left the scout knife home as it had become sentimental, and just uses what the army had. The MLK knife, or the TL-29 pattern, both made by Camillus. I picked up a Buck 301 stockman at 3 7/8th inches and that was a edc for about 20 years. I picked up a Victorinox huntsman while in Germany. Then things started to get smaller.

A co-worker and friend showed me what he cold do with a Buck 303 cadet small stockman on a hunting trip down in Virginia one day, and after he passed away, his wife gave me his old Buck. I got to carrying that around, and grew to appreaticate the less bulk in my pocket with no loss of cutting ability. But the bigger change was yet to come. My dad was a Case peanut man. Period. He carried a little peanut that was a gift from his mother when he left home, and he cherished that knife for the rest of his life. After he passed away, I carried it one day as just a 'what the heck' moment. It became the great change. I ended up leaving his old peanut home not wanting anything to happen to it, and bought a yellow handle peanut. I get try used to having the small knife that I didn't know was there, but could still zip open large bags of dog food, bird seed, mulch, plastic packages, and then disappear again in the pocket. I got real used to the little peanut sized knife very quickly.

In short, I went from 4 and 5 layer SAK's and 3 7/8th stockman to one and two layer SAK's and not much more than 3 inch closed pocket knives weighing 2 ounces or less. I've cut back to just 4 or 5 knives I carry on a regular edc basis, and they all are smaller and lighter weight than my pocket knives of years ago. Yet I still do the same things, if not more so. Being retired now, I have more time for fishing, canoeing, camping and making hot dog sticks for the grandkids, and getting out with my better half of 42 years, yet carry a smaller knife than eve before. My Sardinian resolza is 3 1/4 inches, my Vic Bantam is 3 1/4 inches, my peanut is 2 7/8th inches, and they all are 2 ounces except the resolza which i 1 2/3 ounces.

When I was in my 20's, I shook my head at the old guys with the little pen knives. Now I've joined them. I've come to dislike carrying anything more than I absolutely have to.

9843302056_350b2c1ed8_c.jpg

Vince,
I'm too young to fit in the cathegory...yet I'm sure that, if someone will ask me the same question in twenty years or so, I would answer that for "casual" day by day cutting (opening a cardboard box or peeling an occasional apple) a swayback frame with a pointy pen and a not so pointy sheepsfoot does work wonderfully ;)

WW7Rkp1.jpg

Fausto
:cool:

Robin, I've seen you post this before but that is simply one of the nicest slip joint knives I have ever laid my eyes on!!!

The shield, the stag, the blade----everything about it is superb. WOW!!!

Now my input would also be as mentioned above the Barlow. I didn't care at all for the long bolster, the weight it had compared to a regular or smaller bolster. Then came along Charlies grand tribute to the almighty Barlow and there was just something that said "buy one". I did and have never been so taken by a traditional pattern in my 50 plus years.

There are obviously many blade choices available in the "Charlows" and the one I settled on was the Clip/Pen and I am now a Barlow man for life---or whats left of it :p

I'll switch things up from time to time but my Barlow will be and has been a true "every day carry" since it's arrival. I'll pair it with another knife but my Barlow will be the mainstay of my daily carry. I'm giving up on settling into one or two patterns that suit me best, I'm a knife addict and the sooner I finally accept that I can move on :D

Paul

Thanks Paul, it truly is a wonderful knife and piece of history. I feel the same way about Charlies wonderful Barlow. I have the two blade sheepsfoot and am waiting for the single blade. About all the knife you'll ever need.

Best regards

Robin

I didn't grow up with slipjoints like most here. I've only been interested in them for a decade, more or less. Yet in that short time I've developed very definite likes and dislikes.

I started out with the stockman. It is still one of my favorites, but overkill for my purposes. I don't need three different blades in an office setting. That realization led me to single blade patterns, now my overwhelming preference. I like 'em in the 3 3/4" range. IMO that's the sweet spot for both usefulness and ease of carry.

As to blade shapes -- clip points, drop points, spears, or wharncliffes -- they're all good. For the day-to-day tasks that might require a sharp cutting tool (not specialized use like whittling or skinning an animal), I can make do with just about anything. Plenty of people seem to make it through the day without so much as a Victorinox Classic on their keychains.

I will say that I like pretty knives. From a pure using standpoint it's hard to beat delrin, but there's something about a beautifully swedged, stag covered slipjoint that just brings a smile to my face. That's reason enough.

- Christian

I love carrying sharp knife, but I have a job (paramedic) and a lifestyle (small town America) that make carrying a knife unnecessary. I was actually gifted my grail knife from a member here on this very forum (Thanks again Boggs) a 2011 Forum knife it does everything I need it to do, it peels apples like a demon and whips the caps off "adult beverages" like a dream. That being said I have a fairly extensive collection of knives that "need" to be carried, they run from peanut sized cases and Schrade single bladed Mighty Mites to full sized Douk Douks and Buck 110's. Some of them get carried more than others (clip bladed GEC Boy's knife and the 2011 Forum knife and my all time favorite Schrade 34OT stockman's) to the ones that get carried not so much, (Cutmaster Girl Scout knife in my pocket right now and my metal handled IXL Boy's knife) I try to switch out about once a week I usually decided what I am going to carry on Sunday morning and try to stick with it all week some times I stick with the same one for weeks or months (Forum Knife or GEC Boy's knife) sometimes I switch them out earlier (this Girl Scout knife has been a struggle). I guess what this rambling post is saying is I think EDCing for me is more about personal preference and a need to carry a knife instead of having to carry a knife for a specific need.

Jacknife, is that a genuine blackthorn walking stick/shelaleigh?

For the first 30 years of my life, i most always carried a 3-7/8 to 4" stockman. I have for 30 odd years "ALWAYS" carried a Buck 309 Companion. When i was in law enforcement i hung an Old Timer 250t on my duty belt (rarely got used)the 309 did 99.9% of the work. Now days the 309 is is still the "ALWAYS". I do back up the 309 with a sak Tinker, mostly gets used for the tools. The 25ot, only gets to go deer hunting. regards Henry

Grew up with Ulster Boy Scout knives. Gave me my first stitches. Be prepared.

Got a Buck 110 in high school. Really dug it. Still have it. But learned it's a brick and actually, I don't care for hollow grinds and extreme clips.

Carried a full sized multi-tool for a bit. Love/hate relationship. Lousy as knives. Mediocre as tools but better than nothing.

Carried Vic Classics for a period of time and busted them all. Maybe 5 or 6 of them. Busted scales, loosened blades and busted scissors. Still, nice and light and appealed to the ounce counting weight weenie aspect of backpacking.

I should mention that I used to work as a bike mechanic and earned some antipathy to French bikes, which used non-standard parts (this was back in the day), so my brows furrowed at the thought of anything French.

I got an old well used Opinel in a trade for some bike parts. Then, a buddy recommended a Leatherman Micra. I've really not looked back since.

EDC Pair by Pinnah, on Flickr

Oh yes.. I'm old enough to post in this thread.

Jacknife, is that a genuine blackthorn walking stick/shelaleigh?

Yes, it is. It came from the old country, and I only carry it for going out dress occasions. It was gifted to me by my Uncle Pat, when I was medically discharged from the army with my right ankle and foot pretty messed up. I came home on an old fogy cane, and Uncle Pat told me to ditch it and carry a bit of the old country with me. I did. Here is a photo that you can see it with my other sticks. It's the second one on the right. The one on the far left is also a blackthorn, but given an oil finish instead of the typical black lacquer. I was told by the white haired proprietor of the little shop in Dublin, that it was made as a "fighting stick" and to oil it a few times a year. It's pretty hefty and is my Corgi walking stick.
9523721754_6d9b9fdd46_c.jpg

Now back to our usual program. :)

I started with Vic Recruit than years latter in my teens and as an adult up till last year I got into modern one handed folders. Once I discovered this site I really got into modern one handed folders and was starting to get into overbuilt folders particularly the ones designed by Rick Hinderer and Ken Onion seemed to draw my attention the most. But there was one particular knife I wanted which was going to be released by Zero Tolerance and I waited patiently for it for quite a long time for it to be released, but as time went by I got impatient and traveled here to the traditional forum and figured I pick up a bone handled traditional slipjoint as I never owned one and felt the need to at least put one in my collection.

I ended up with a Rough Rider Canoe and that has been my favorite EDC ever since, as for that ZT knife the only way I get it now is if I get it in trade or find it for very cheap as there are a lot of nice traditionals that are higher up on my list and I am not a fan of modern one handed folders like I used to be especially the overbuilt ones as they can't cut as good as a nice thin blade.

Since than I added the Opinel #6, Rough Rider Copperhead, Colt Trapper (carbon steel), Colt Canoe (carbon steel), and Wenger Patriot to my traditional collection. I really wanted to love all those knives but they all had handles which were too thick to EDC minus the Patriot, and the Colt's blades were as thick as a lot of the overbuilt one handed folders which I tried to get away from. It's not a far stretch that I might end up with a single bladed Trapper it is a very practical blade and decently comfy I just want it slimmer. Than the Canoe being my favorite pattern I will probably end up with a Case CV of it one day. The Rough Rider Copperhead I think would also be a great knife if it were a single blade as well and be more comfortable to use so I am looking at a Queen D2 version of it. The Opinel is the knife I want to love but just can't, it's too thick in the handles and even if I sand it down I am not a fan of the locking mechanism but I can't deny how much I love how well it slices through cardboard.

Vince, you don't wanna edc that swayback. Just send her down here. Nice knife Vince. Enjoy. -Izzy

Thanks for the replies,they are great.
When I think about the idea of putting one knife aside for a bit,in order to carry another one,a different one,it becomes clear why alot of us knife nuts carry more than one. I have not done that in a while,unless out hunting or fishing

Thanks Jackknife. I am fascinated with the history of the blackthorn cane/walking stick/fighting stick/shelaleigh. regards Henry

Back