Edge angle profiling

Hey yall,,,,I have a 2x42 belt sander and 1x30,,,how do yall sharpen and profile the edge,,,as of late,,I've been "eyeballing" it b/c I don't have a guide...how do yall do it?

Eyeball works just fine if your good at it. I set mine with a wicked edge. You'll probably have better luck in shop talk.

I use Spyderco ceramics and diamonds in a Sharpmakers

Use blue tape, only left exposed the edge where it’s to be sharpened, and let the stones do the work….I take my time

When I sharpen blades on the belt grinder I do it on the flat Platten with edge downward. I just try to keep the distance between the spine of the knife and the belt - the same . This way the angle stays the same too. With some practice it is easy. But I only use the grinder on very dull low quality knives for sharpening. For my blades I use diy fixed angle jig with diamond plates. Or if the blade is very thin behind the edge - I sharpen it by hand on a stone. Of course many people use belt grinder for sharpening and it's fine, but If I spend 20+ hours to make a knife I can spend 40 more minutes to sharpen it by hand.

I used to use water stones for regular maintenance and medium/coarse diamond plates for initial sharpening (mostly the Atoma 400, sometimes the 140 on thicker knives). Last year, I bought the Atoma 1200 diamond plate and have not used a water stone since then.

Wicked Edge is my preffered method after grinding the edge down to an acceptable level (0.025" ish usually for me). I find that trying to keep the angle through the grits is too dificult on the belt grinder. It's doable....but as mentioned above, by the time I get to sharpening, I have a lot of time invested. No need to hurry up and mess up. I go slow by hand and take breaks with other projects if needed.

When I sharpen blades on the belt grinder I do it on the flat Platten with edge downward. I just try to keep the distance between the spine of the knife and the belt - the same . This way the angle stays the same too. With some practice it is easy. But I only use the grinder on very dull low quality knives for sharpening. For my blades I use diy fixed angle jig with diamond plates. Or if the blade is very thin behind the edge - I sharpen it by hand on a stone. Of course many people use belt grinder for sharpening and it's fine, but If I spend 20+ hours to make a knife I can spend 40 more minutes to sharpen it by hand.
how about a pic of that fixed angle jig you use?

Back