1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

edge dying with felt dauber

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by darkmatter35, Jun 8, 2018.

1. darkmatter35

darkmatter35

Aug 21, 2011
    A while back I had a problem while dying edges, the dye would leach onto the front or back of the panel. I had been using Ostridge leather at the time. I asked for advice on this forum and got some useful advice. Dave (Horsewright Clothing and Tack) suggested that I use a piece of felt. I found a fairly easy fix, I use the round felt for use on a Dremel tool as a felt dauber and a screw to hold it. Probably could find a better holding device but its the first thing I grabbed.
    I used a lighter to remove the fuz on the felt dauber.
    Works great
    John

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  2. darkmatter35

darkmatter35

Aug 21, 2011
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. sheathmaker

sheathmaker Custom Leather Sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 18, 2005
    Okay, your holding device.....buy your felt at a fabric store, 1/4 yard or less and get a plain old spring clothes pin.
    Cut your felt, double or triple it and put it in the spring clothes pin. Instant felt dauber and the felt is replaceable at frequent intervals.

Paul

4. darkmatter35

darkmatter35

Aug 21, 2011
    Thanks Paul,
    Easy remedy, keep it simple
    John

5. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Sometimes ya can get the felt in different densities too. I've found the harder to work better. Less bleed out.

6. darkmatter35

darkmatter35

Aug 21, 2011
    Thanks Dave,
    John

7. Robber58

Robber58

Oct 9, 2008
    I buy small sheets of very firm felt from Brownells and cut pieces off as needed. It does hold the dye really well and allows you to be very precise with placement. One sheet lasts a long time when you store the one you are using in a zip lock bag between uses. I use small spring clamps as a holder but, as Paul says, a clothes pin works well also.

8. darkmatter35

darkmatter35

Aug 21, 2011
    thanks for the tip,
    John