Edge Kote and Burnish

Hi All!

I've recently acquired several sheaths and such from a rather talented maker. They are quite beautifully made, and I wouldn't change much about them, other than the fact that they were finished with edge kote instead of wax burnish or dye. Before I had familiarized myself with edge kote, I had mistakenly thought he had used some sort of synthetic epoxy (an idea I found rather irksome). Personally, I much prefer the aesthetics and ergonomics of wax burnishing, and am wondering if there's a relatively simple, surefire way of removing the edge kote without affecting the overall integrity of the existing leatherwork so I can add a burnished edge myself? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Buy some 120 grit and sand it down. You're only taking off a few mm so it won't matter. Make sure the leather is actually burnishable though, as it might be a chrom veg retan (like a chrome-excel)

Buy some 120 grit and sand it down. You're only taking off a few mm so it won't matter. Make sure the leather is actually burnishable though, as it might be a chrom veg retan (like a chrome-excel)
The maker advertises each sheath as being full grain Italian leather, and from what I can tell in-person I'm inclined to believe them. The leather itself also appears to be much thicker than any examples of chrome tanned leather I've seen online. Here's hoping it's burnishable! Thanks for the advice.

Back