• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Edge on CRKT Hissatsu?

Klesk

Gold Member
I just got my Hissatsu, and aside from the shiny finish on the blade (all the pics I've ever seen made it look more satin-y), the knife is pretty well built, about what you'd expect from CRKT for $60.

I do have a question about the edge, however. On mine, there is no edge grind, it looks rolled like on the CRKT First Strike. Is it supposed to be like that? Also, everyone knows about the problems with the First Strike, but my Hissatsu is probably duller than the First Strike that I had. I can understand this knife being billed as a "stabber", but I would think it would not hurt to put an edge on it.

Any info that y'all can supply would be appreciated. Thanks.

Have you tried stropping it? Convex edges respond well to stropping if the basic edge is clean. Of course, that also depends on the width of the bevel, too. My Bark Rivers tend to start curving down to the edge from pretty high up.

My Hissatsu was a little sharper than a butter knife when I got it. I'm not really adept at the whole convex edge thing so I just sharpened it like I would any other knife. The design is an impressive slasher when sharpened, and the knife handles well enough. I like the design a great deal. It does not hold an edge well however.
I originally contacted CRKT about the lousy edge. They offered to take it back and send a replacement, which is to their credit. They gave me no indication that the replacement would be any sharper, so I went ahead and did it myself.
I'd love to see this knife produced with a better steel. The design seems to have potential.
Does anyone know if the edge has been improved on the newer First Strikes? I've almost purchased one several times.

I bought one when CRKT first released them - it was shaving sharp from the box, couple of light strokes on an extra fine stone and it was scarry. I am sure a blunt one, if made from AUS6A like the one I have, would sharpen up quickly, a lot easier than S30V, M2 or the harder wearing stainless steals on the market.

Hi Guys
Mine was a little blunt, but4 or 5 wipes across my Edgepro ceramic rod and it was shaving sharp.
Phil :)

Thanks for the input, guys. I ended up sharpening it like a conventional grind, as stilgar suggested. That's also what I did with my First Strike. I got the edge rough shaving sharp, but I had to use a wider angle than I normally do, 30 degrees as opposed to 15 - 20 degrees. For its purpose, I guess 30 degrees is better anyway. The only issue I have now is that the steel got sharp so quickly, it must be pretty soft, so just sheathing it will affect the edge.

stilgar said:
I'd love to see this knife produced with a better steel. The design seems to have potential.
The knife was originally produced by the designer, James Williams, through Bugei Trading Company. It was a quality piece, made of ATS-34, though the blade shape and handle look the same as the CRKT version. I don't recall why it didn't do well, it may have been too expensive. If you are interested, I have scans from a magazine article from September 2000 that talks about the original knife. I can send it to you, but be aware that I smashed down the size of the file as much as I could, while keeping the text readable, but the 2 files still total around 2.5 MB. Should be OK if you have broadband. E-mail me if you are interested.

I do not see any reason to use better steel, this knife is not going to be thrown into my EDC roster or used camping or out fishing - it is designed for a specific purpose, close quarters self defence. I hope I never have to use this knife, but if I do, I expect to use it only once before it ends up in the evidence drawer. The steel will work just fine if it is ever required.

OK ,I admit it: I've played with my Hissatsu a lot! Sounds kinda obscene huh? It's a blast to use on hanging paper and pool noodles. It does dull fairly quickly even in those materials. Then again, maybe I'm three beers past the point that I should stop posting at.

I'll snag one as a Christmas present to myself just because it looks cool. But It seems kinda sad that the steel will dull just testing to see how sharp the edge is.

How can you tell when you have it set right if just testing it starts to dull it? Just when you think you got it right you need to go back to work. I wish it had atleast AUS8A. Preferably something like S30V would be used. It would make it more difficult to sharpen but the edge you could get on it would be able to reach a much greater level of sharpness, correct?

I guess it's a toss up. Do you want an easy to maintain one time use fighter, or a durable edged tool that you don't have to worry about getting dull just unsheathing it.

What steel would you all like to see used keeping in mind that the price would be best kept under $100?

Back