1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Edge Pro 1 or Hapstone M2?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by ibrow, May 15, 2019.

1. ibrow

ibrow

Jan 21, 2017
    I don't live in North America. Looking to buy one of these but concerned with how the stock stones will handle M390. I have a bunch of kitchen knives with softer steels but my folders are in M390. Can the EP waterstones do anything here? And what does this mean (seller description for the Hapstone):

"Basic kit. 3 Hapstone silicon carbide sharpening stones: 220, 400 and 1200 grit
    Simple stones for studying the basis of knives sharpening.
    Not suitable for steels with hardness greater than 56hRC. It has soft ceramic bunch, it erases quite quickly."

For the "upgraded" kit, that just includes two more SiC stones (same silicon carbide stones from what I can tell) it says this:

"5 Hapstone silicon carbide sharpening stones: 120, 240, 600, 1000 and 2500 grit
    The stones are made of silicon carbide and are designed for the hardest steels (up to 65 HRC). All stones are 6 mm thick and mounted on high-quality aluminium blanks."

Thanks!

2. Mikke

Mikke

Jan 15, 2001
    I have successfully used Edge Pro's basic stones on 20CV, ZDP-189 etc, definitely on stuff a lot harder than 56 HRc. It might wear out the stones a bit faster than simple and/or soft steels, and diamond might make the edges last a bit longer, but the EP stones will absolutely handle M390.

3. ekastanis

ekastanis Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2018
    Not sure what site you read this on and if it's something lost in translation to English, but it could be that they mean these stones have a relatively soft binder and will wear quickly on hard steels.

Assuming you are referring to the upgraded SiC stone set sold by Gritomatic, although they both are made of SiC abrasive, the stones in the Gritomatic 5-piece set are not the same as the basic Hapstone 3-piece set.

I just ordered and received a Hapstone M2. It came with the basic 3-piece SiC stone set, but I already owned an assortment of AlO and SiC stones from Boride Engineered Abrasives (the supplier to Edge Pro). I haven't used the Hapstone SiC stones yet so I can't give you any feedback on how they compare.

4. brando555

brando555 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 26, 2018
    From my experience the stock 220 and 400 grit Edge Pro stones work good on just about anything like s30v, m390, etc. Once you start going for a polished edge on higher carbide steels though, thats where diamond really excels over alum oxide at keeping the edge nice and keen.

If I was going to go for the most versatile and basic EP setup I'd probably get the base kit with the 220 and 400 grit stones, and pick up a 1100 grit diamond matrix separate.

With the Hapstone M2 it would probably pay to go with the 5 Gritomatic SiC stone bundle, the Gritomatic SiC stones are pretty good.

5. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    Normally stone–steel hardness operates in the opposite manner; soft stones are appropriate for hard steel, and inappropriate for soft steel where they wear needlessly fast. The deeper the abrasive particles embed the faster they are torn out.

6. brando555

brando555 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Yep, the Boride SiC stones wear really fast on softer steels like 440C

7. ekastanis

ekastanis Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2018

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  8. ibrow

ibrow

Jan 21, 2017
    Guess I'll buy the 5-stone version with the better Gritomatic SiC stones then. Thanks for the input.

9. cbwx34

cbwx34

Dec 27, 2004
    You might look at this... If you get the basic kit, and then add the 5 stone SiC set of stones, it only costs about $16 more... and you get 2 sets of stones to use.

10. sickpuppy1

sickpuppy1 Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 27, 2018
    Your mother would be proud. What a bargain hunter. Lol good idea!

11. Gritomatic

Gritomatic Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Jan 4, 2016
    The basic 3 stones set is included in all M2 bundles. It's a silent feature.