Edge Pro Stone Thickness Compensation

I have found that sharpieing the edge of my bevels and adjusting the angle each time I changed stones on my edge pro apex started to get a somewhat tiresome especially when my stones wore and the differences in thickness of the stones made a significant variation in the angle in which they were hitting the edge. I saw the clamp or drill bit collar technique to compensate for different thicknesses around here somewhere but I never saw a video. So here's a vid I made. I hope this vid will help anybody who had the same problem I had.

[video=youtube;qXvHAGyxq0M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXvHAGyxq0M[/video]

That's a useful video. If you do a Google search for "edge pro stop collar" you'll see all kinds of helpful results as well. Everything I find is for the EP Pro model though. I have the Pro, not the Apex myself. Applying the trick to the Apex model is a more difficult to find info about. If you get a stop collar rather than a clip, it will be a much more precise solution. While the Pro model requires a 5/16" stop collar, I think that the Apex needs one size up at 3/8". I've only verified that from one person though. If more people could verify that, it would be much appreciated.

No bit collars in all the hardware stores here so I just had one made from a piece of bronze rod. I had the hole drilled for 5/16's and indeed it was to small for the angle rod on the apex. We had to enlarge it until it fit. I didn't measure the hole diameter after it fit though.

Oh, btw, I would not use any of the "screw set" collars, because those have the screw press directly into the shaft (might dent/mark the shaft).

Instead, I would get one of the "clamp" styled collars.

Oh, btw, I would not use any of the "screw set" collars, because those have the screw press directly into the shaft (might dent/mark the shaft).

Instead, I would get one of the "clamp" styled collars.

Good idea! Thanks. I gotta come up with an idea how to not scratch the shaft with the screw.

hey guys it's a tool not a piece of art, scratching the shaft won't affect how it works ....

Ordered a stop collar and angle cube last night on the bay.

The angle cube is a marvelous method for both measuring an existing bevel, and for setting the drill stop collar.

I purchased a standard collar with set screw, and I've experienced no scratching of the rod. A gentle touch on the set screw is all that is needed! :p

Great idea, Singularity. The stone height issue has nagged me a bit. I spoiled myself with diamonds for years. Are you getting good results just gauging it with the stone & going to town?

Great idea, Singularity. The stone height issue has nagged me a bit. I spoiled myself with diamonds for years. Are you getting good results just gauging it with the stone & going to town?

One can achieve truly excellent results gauging with the stone itself. Nevertheless, a $30 angle cube is a worthwhile asset.:thumbup:

I just used the sharpie trick to hit the edges but I found it getting to be more and more hit and miss as my stones wore. This took most of the guesswork out. BTW, I can't take credit, this has been around the forums but I just didn't see any pics or vids for the apex.

Back