Edge pro vs Wicked Edge

Hi,
A common modification for tired hands is the addition of a strong magnet, see
Edge Pro: What size/strength magnet(s)?

Thats about $10 worth of magnets

I've been using one high-strength cylindrical magnet directly under the blade "plate." There is a "blank" space directly under the blade plate which allows you to place the magnet just under the plate. You should measure your Edge Pro Apex before you order a magnet. Remember that this is a "cylindrical" magnet which is just slightly smaller than the available empty space under the blade-plate. I wrapped some duct tape around the magnet in order to increase the diameter very slightly, and shoved it up into the space and it stays there very tightly under just friction. I HIGHLY advise any of you EP users to try out something of this nature. I bought several different magnets, but I THINK that this is the one that I am using... You should use Google to check and order if you wish to try it out. It took all of the work out of the Edge Pro and I can produce very nice edges with very little work. No more sore fingers from holding the blade down on the plate surface....
It was NOT my idea to use a magnet...until I saw it here on the forum some time ago.
I do support it lightly with one hand, but 95% of the holding is done for me. Edge Pro Apex is all I use and all I want. I can easily use SIC Shapton stones (as per Ankerson's reco's) and a 2"x 6" Dia-Sharp Extra Coarse diamond stone to re-profile anything with very little trouble.
Here is info on the magnet that I am (very happily) using...

ND052-EN Neodymium Cylinder Magnets 7/8 in x 1 in Epoxy/Ni Rare Earth N42
ON SALE !! Best corrosion-resistant coating Epoxy + Nickel + Copper + Nickel 4-layer coating Pull force: 85 lbs Magnetized through 1"
$6.25 - $

Last edited:
Back