Edge Pro: What size/strength magnet(s)?

AFAustin

Gold Member
Can some Edge Pro users school me on the magnets you use to secure the knife? Specifically, what size and strength magnet(s) do you use?

In looking at the neodymium magnets available online, there are a jillion sizes, shapes, and strengths. My understanding is that you want strong enough to hold a variety of knife sizes, but if you go too strong, you attract a lot more swarf to the table.

My initial thinking is to get two block shaped ones, so I can use one for small knives and two for larger ones. Seems like the blocks would pull apart easier than the coin shaped ones. Maybe with a pull force of around 10 - 15 lbs. each? Also, is there any advantage to the blocks with the holes in the middle?

Any info./guidance would be appreciated.

Andrew

Can some Edge Pro users school me on the magnets you use to secure the knife? Specifically, what size and strength magnet(s) do you use?

In looking at the neodymium magnets available online, there are a jillion sizes, shapes, and strengths. My understanding is that you want strong enough to hold a variety of knife sizes, but if you go too strong, you attract a lot more swarf to the table.

My initial thinking is to get two block shaped ones, so I can use one for small knives and two for larger ones. Seems like the blocks would pull apart easier than the coin shaped ones. Maybe with a pull force of around 10 - 15 lbs. each? Also, is there any advantage to the blocks with the holes in the middle?

Any info./guidance would be appreciated.

Andrew

A 1" cube at between N48 and N52 should be good. It's strong enough to firmly keep the blade against the table. And it'll definitely be a strong little sucker. Keep it away from electronics. And throw a piece of painter's tape where the blade rubs against the table.

Depends on if you want the magnet to do the holding or just assist. I found the best results came from the guesswork being removed and letting the magnet do the holding and letting the tape protect the blade from swarf and metal filings.

I used two to three 1/2" cubes at N48 and they worked well but I didn't see anything on amazon when I just looked, that's why I suggested a single magnet with a little higher rating.

And when you're done tap the spine of the blade several good times to remove a lot of the magnetism that will be in the blade or buy a degausser. It's not necessary but it'll keep the metal filings from sticking to the blade.

You don't need a huge magnet. I think a 1/2" magnet will fit in there, but when I get home tonight I will measure the one I glued I to mine. It works well.

I wouldnt use any magnet. Trapping swarf on the table via magnet could lead to scratching. A moot point if you tape, but it could still mkae it harder to clean the blade table.

I wouldnt use any magnet. Trapping swarf on the table via magnet could lead to scratching. A moot point if you tape, but it could still mkae it harder to clean the blade table.

The table is plastic. Just wipe it down.

And the blade can and will scratch even if you don't use a magnet. When using the edge pro type of system I always tape the blade up no matter what.

Use clear packing tape to mask the blade surfaces. Trim excess off with another knife. The clear packing tape adheres better when wet, and provides better protection as well as pulling off easier.

The chef knives website sells magnets for a low cost, which fit nicely. A small amount of rubber cement holds them in place.

I'm new here. How about just cementing a small metal strip where the magnet would go. Then you can add or remove magnets at will. I've done that it work great.

I'm new here. How about just cementing a small metal strip where the magnet would go. Then you can add or remove magnets at will. I've done that it work great.

Pretty cool idea new guy, and welcome!

Russ

Back