Edge Stability Part 2 - Experiments

Really interesting article, Larrin! Is a higher percentage of lathe vs. plate martensite a possible factor in the better edge stability produced by lower austenitizing temperatures?

Really interesting article, Larrin! Is a higher percentage of lathe vs. plate martensite a possible factor in the better edge stability produced by lower austenitizing temperatures?
Could be! That is part of the reduction in toughness that comes from higher austenitizing temperatures.

Larrin Larrin , test was made on machine ,which mean controlled and repeatable cut . Don't you think that practice /normal use of knife / would show a different result ? Harder steel are more prone to chip in everyday use of knife ..... Look at this video clip , tungsten carbide blade outperform steel when cut in controlled manner ? And I'm 1000 % positive that in practice same steel will outperform that TC blade in almost everything .....except in rope cutting ??

Larrin Larrin , test was made on machine ,which mean controlled and repeatable cut . Don't you think that practice /normal use of knife / would show a different result ? Harder steel are more prone to chip in everyday use of knife ..... Look at this video clip , tungsten carbide blade outperform steel when cut in controlled manner ? And I'm 1000 % positive that in practice same steel will outperform that TC blade in almost everything .....except in rope cutting ??
Test number one is a sharpness test after "some use." I don't know what some use is. Whatever they did they dulled the "stainless steel" blade but not the carbide blade. The hardness and steel type of the "stainless steel" was nowhere specified. There also appears to be an edge geometry difference between the two test blades but it is hard to tell in the video. In the second test there were cutting through the steel rod which is highly dependent on strength. We would expect the carbide to be stronger/harder. The "damage" they showed after cut number two with the stainless steel knife appeared to be plastic deformation and that resulted in chipping out after pushing it further with cut number three. Also while he said that there was no damage to the carbide blade it looks like there was a chip in the carbide blade but smaller. We would expect there to be a toughness advantage to the stainless steel knife if they were tested with impact or with side loads.

good article. I was surprised to see 1.2842 or O2 score near the top. a score of 0.039 or second best from a very basic alloy. It is abundant in Europe and I wish one of the knife steel suppliers would import a batch.
the comment "harder steel chips" is a little to broad. if you are going to make a knife that will see rough use, use a steel that performs best at lower hardness. Dr. Landes made that point here and other forums many times. 1.2562 and 1.2838 would not be first choice for a 'survival' knife but would excel as high hardness super fine edge kitchen blades.

Last edited:
I bet there would be. I and probably ten people I know would contribute.

Anyone know a good german speaker with a little technical knowledge who want to make some money?

I wish the book was available in a downloadable format. I would like to try some of the translation software and see how well it translated the text. Many of the technical words might not come across right, but the basic material would. Most charts speak for themselves.

When I spoke to Roman recently he didn't sound that optimistic about a translation but I agree it would be great to get an English copy.

Another really good article. I’m really enjoying how my testing experience lines up with the science that explains why my testing showed the results it did.

Back