Eight students slashed in an Indiana Highschool (details sketchy)

This story is probably related to the Scottish ban we discussed yesterday. The liberal press is going out of its way to create a distorted image of knife attacks in support of a policy agenda. As sad as it may be; I am sure that teenage knife attacks are nothing new.

I am just waiting for the mass media to use the word "assault knife".

n2s

not2sharp said:
...I am sure that teenage knife attacks are nothing new..
Back in the 50's my friend Frank went into an Italian Deli and ordered a "Ginny Grinder". What he wanted was an "Italian Club Sandwich", but we always called them "Ginny Grinders". He didn't realize his mistake until he felt the switchblade making three quick stabs into his left butt cheek.

As I said in a previous post. When I was a junior or senior in highschool some kid in shopclass tried to gore his bully with one of those 20" flathead screwdrivers. Kids are crazy. Hell, we all are a little bit. Taking the knives away will not keep people from killing each other. We did a pretty good job keeping the oposing population in check with stones and pointy sticks for 1000's or years before metal working came to be. I had a civ prof in college demonstrate one of those spears where you put the wooden lever in the back of them and snap it forward as you throw it to juice up the velocity. The name of the weapon i do not recall. However, i do remember him saying something to the fact that it would do roughly the same damage as a .38! People will always find a way to do great injury to one another. We are the only creatures that know cruelty yet we do it anyway.

Jake

Steely_Gunz said:
...I had a civ prof in college demonstrate one of those spears where you put the wooden lever in the back of them and snap it forward as you throw it to juice up the velocity...
I made one of those when I was a kid. It was called a "throwing stick". It worked by increasing the length of your arm by about three feet.

I found about it in an old book. It was a big black hardbound volume put out by Mechanix Illustrated in the 1920's or 30's and was full of all sorts of interesting projects, many of which I actually built.

My favorite was the slide action repeating crossbow. That was too big a project for me, but years later in the 80's I found the book in the library and tried to build that crossbow. I got a block of birch and carved and filed out the stock. I don't know what halted the project, but that was a far as it got. I think I still have photocopies of the plans.

One of these days, when I set up my new shop......

Steely_Gunz said:
I had a civ prof in college demonstrate one of those spears where you put the wooden lever in the back of them and snap it forward as you throw it to juice up the velocity. The name of the weapon i do not recall.

The name of the weapon is the Atlatl. (spelling) made by the aztecs, I believe. Fierce weapon. Knives are not the primary threat to our society. It's irresponsibility and ignorance.

Benaround- the guy stabbed three times in the butt; was that a kinder age? Didn't want to kill you, just give you the message.

munk

namaarie:

I think your spelling is correct. I've seen a demonstration of this, and they let beginners give it a try. It turns out, this requires a lot of training and practice. IMO, a beginner using one of these is practically harmless. :)

munk said:
...the guy stabbed three times in the butt; was that a kinder age? Didn't want to kill you, just give you the message...
It was a target of opportunity. The guy was standing behind him in the line. I don't even want to think what would have happened if they were face to face.

Just a later note - of the 8 with injuries, 5 were knife related. Two of the other three injuries were apparently suffered in the rampage/trying to avoid it. The third was the assailant, possibly injured in subduing him.

I hardly think we can count the injury to the assailant an injury. Perhaps the word, "point" would be more fitting... :)

Also, FallingKnife, I agree. Definately a hard weapon to master.

Back