electric generator for apartment use?

The "Blackout of 2003" has come and gone. Who knows when the next one will come along. Just like millions of other New Yorkers, my wife and I live in an apartment along with our baby daughter. It would be great to be able to operate an electric generator that's relatively quiet and easy to use. Anyone know of one?

Generators are loud and spit out nasty gasses like running a car. This would only be practical in an apartment setting if you have an outside patio to place it on and neighbors who would put up with the noise. You might get some leverage with the neighbors if you let them come over to watch TV but YMMV.

jmx

Sorry, mate, but a generator for apt. use is no
good. There are several issues that apt. living
cause that make a generator unsafe to use as well
as very impractical.

There are the exhaust gases that will need to be
vented outside. Then there is the matter of fuels
and oils in your living area to deal with. If you
deal sucessfully with those items the killer is
the power transfer switch to hook into the apt.
wiring safely to prevent line backfeed when the
power comes back on. :eek:

The ONLY safe practical way to feed electricity
to ANY apt. building is a BUILDING GENERATOR SYSTEM
Sorry to say that while there are many really good
small generators NONE is intended for apt. (or
enclosed) dwellings.

just went through it also was ready with Solar Panel wired to a Marine Battery and converter hooked up,worked like charm.Used Christmas "Angel Tear's" light's {low wattage} and ac/dc TV Honey was real Happy:D you can do a search and find how to set one up.real easy, Home Depot,Sear's for most of the supplie's ;the Solar Panel search on line for size/ price needed.Cost from $200.-$400. Not at home but will follow up with more info when i get there.PS. my toal cost was $300.00

You should never try to plug a generator into the house/apartment outlet to feed power to the other outlets. Setting the place on fire isn't the best source of light.

Generators produce carbon monoxide which will kill you, your wife, and child if not vented out of and away from the living space. The problem with venting out of the living space it that it has to go somewhere so you could put one of your neighbors at risk.

The other problem comes in the form of fuel for the generator. You are not permitted by fire code to store fuel in your apartment (nor on the fire escape). This is for good reason, since vapors from the fuel could ignite which might kill you, your wife, and child.

Generator noise may not be much of a problem, considering how quiet the Honda generators are, but this applies only to the small ones. The larger ones that will run your refrigerator and some minimal lighting (the only thing worth running in a blackout) will make enough noise that your neighbors wouldn't be very happy even if you had a safe place to run it.

Consider having the building install a building generator that would run HVAC and refrigerator power and nothing else. For personal use the safer non-generator photvoltaic/battery/converter solution. While it won't save your perishables in the refrigerator it will provide some light and might run a small fan.

sorry guy's had a little problem posting.The above link's should give you all the info you need .Check out the info on Joel's site about Generator's

Thanks to all! A regular gas-powered generator wouldn't work in an apartment on the 6th floor. A battery-based power cell (solar recharged) for lights and an electric fan seems to be the best option.

You might also look into Xantrex battery packs.

http://www.xantrex.com/

Quick and Easy Recharging!
xPower 1500 can be conveniently recharged to keep it ready for its next use. Recharge xPower 1500:

· by using utility power from your wall outlet xPower’s “plug-in and forget” AC Charger allows you to recharge when utility power returns in 10-12 hours. xPower 1500 regulates the charge and will not overcharge. If utility power becomes interrupted, the charging process automatically starts when power returns.

· from your vehicle as you drive. By plugging the DC Charge Cable into your vehicle's cigarette lighter socket, xPower 1500 can be recharged while you drive in only 6 to 8 hours.

· from a generator equipped with a 12 volt battery charging outlet. Using xPower's DC Charge Cable with the generator's auxiliary 12 volt DC output, the xPower 1500 can be recharged in about 6 to 8 hours.

· from a solar panel. By using an unregulated 12 volt solar panel in combination with a “DC Coaxial (Barrel Type) Connector”, xPower 1500 can be recharged using the Charger Input Socket. A 6-amp solar panel will charge the xPower 1500 in about 10-12 hours in direct sunlight.

If you were on the ground floor and had an apartment... and a pickup truck...

Set in back of truck bed, fire up, run extension cord into apartment!

... Of course you would have to guard it with your life :p

till you run out of gas!! or get bored sitting in the truck while everyone else is watching TV and eating Micro wave popcorn:D

What about those fuel cell generators. I really don't now much about them I just remember (at least I think I do) and ad for one in a Popular Science magazine.
It said something about it being silent and its only by product was water.

Anyway, like I said I dont know much more than that. Maybe after school I'll research it a bit...maybe...:)

Back