Electrician leatherman?

I'm a student of electrical engineering and currently edc a Benchmade osbourne. While fishing the other day I found that my ccc leatherman knock offs pliers weren't even thick enough to get a hook out of a cods mouth!

Well I've known it for some time but a multi tool is the proper edc for me. I know engineering isn't quite electrician work but I work on circuits and end up reaching for needlenose, wire strippers, and crimpers often enough.

I've considered quite a few models but I keep on going back to the charge tti/alx. It's essentially a wave with more ergonomic handles. More importantly they threw the crimper on the pliers and a line cutter on the saw. The wire stripper on these really isn't anything special but it's better than just a thumb and a blade.

I really don't like the looks of black oxide on a leatherman but I have to admit I've seen rust on quite a few multi tools in my time and the coating definitely has utility to it. The black oxide version of the ALX is a very convincing option but that "tactical" look is a big turn off for me. I don't want to look like I'm trying to be anything more than a layman when taking out my tool. Whatever I go with I'll make sure it's properly lubricated and taken care of.

So, well versed multi tool collectors, what would you recommend for an edc that has pliers, wire strippers, and crimpers, along with the other essentials like screwdrivers and wire cutters?

http://www.garrettwade.com/bear-electrician-multi-tool/p/65A01.04/

Also for reference this seems to be the exact model I have except the only writing on it is "china" inside the handles. I'll be honest i have literally no idea where it came from. Some family member must have picked it up a long time ago and forgot about it (lots of rust). Regardless the pliers don't have the girth and bite I'd like.

Last edited:
I go to school for electrical tech, which is basically electricians work, I use a LM supertool 300 for two reasons, the fixed driver bits instead of the bit changer, and the replaceable wire cutters which is a big draw for me with all the wire cutting I do. While its not a great as a good set of linemans pliers and needlenoses, it helps when you dont have them on hand. Ive even used my wingman todo small work, it works but just not as easily as a 300. I plan to get a rebar to edc and use the 300 at school and work.

That rebar looks quite nice for edc. How is the crimper on the inside of the pliers on your st300?

It works, no real problems, though I have only used it about twice, still not a great as a pair of actual crimpers for the leverage, but they diffidently work.

I suppose most leathermen will do the work I need them to and it really is down to preference. The rebar has a nice classic look to it and the phillips head looks great but I think I'm going to go with the charge for edc convenience. The non replaceable wire cutters shouldn't be an issue for me but I'll just have to hope they don't wear terribly.

If you've got a bit of money to throw at the problem, Paladin markets a few versions of a SOG-made electrician/IT/phone-tech multitool. They are quite nice, no replaceable cutting blades, but that's not an issue cutting copper wire..

If it's just for occasional use, the little Leatherman Squirt ES does a good job stripping wire and would be good to pair with almost any standard multitool. Stripping small hook-up wire is one job a lot of multitools don't do all that well

I decided to order a charge tti. I will report back with since opinions in a week. It should be interesting coming from Benchmade pocket knives and balisongs but all of the leatherman multi tools I've handled are very nice.

On an unrelated note: is there such thing as a decent tsa safe sak? I'd like to keep a bladeless tool on my keychain for travel. Namely I'm looking for a lightweight flashlight because it's awfully dark when I get off of work and my previous keychain light died recently. I suppose carrying two multi tools is overkill but the sak/leatherman combo sounds nifty on paper.

The only "TSA safe SAK" I have ever seen is just a thumb drive in an SAK body. It's hard to predict what TSA will allow sometimes, but small tools like pliers and screwdrivers are supposed to be OK, so maybe one of the Swiss-tech micro plus tools might "fly".

I carry the ITP A3 EOS as a keychain light. It's got 3 levels, comes on the first twist in medium, which is a good level of light for chores like checking the oil, etc. and "bright" is bright enough to light up a room, takes a standard AAA battery, and cost is about $20. There are lots of various versions of similar AAA lights out there, also look at Preon, Fenix, and Martac

I'm in a similar situation and I can't recommend the Charge TTi enough. I'm a sound tech that does a lot of speaker installs and such and I skimped on the New Wave (which is damn fine in it's own right), but the blade dulls pretty quickly and I really, really wish I had the crimpers that the TTi provides. Don't make my mistake, I've been regretting those $30 I saved for 2 years as I try to justify buying the right tool. Also, any heavy cutting is really uncomfortable on the Wave, which I assume is at least somewhat remedied by the TTi. In short, get the Wave if that's all you can afford, but if you can swing it, go for the Charge TTi. S30v is the business.

Back