Elforyn experience?

I made a knife with interior mammoth ivory handle, a leftover piece. Customer liked it and wants more, 12 more for a set.

I don't know that I want to put fossil ivory on the set, I haven't decided yet.
Anyone have experience with ivory substitutes like Elforyn? or suggest something else?

thanks
Harbeer

Harbeer, you now have to make sure you know exactly where your knives are going even with fossil ivory.

Ivory-Resin is much better IMO. It also has a nice bit of grain in there. USAKnifemaker has some. It has decent hardness (better than Elforyn) and polishes well. Best substitute I have found.
Here's a pic.
View attachment 1133979
thanks, I looked into and tried to steer him away it but customer wants the natural mat'l

Harbeer, you now have to make sure you know exactly where your knives are going even with fossil ivory.
. yes, it's a very good known customer and for his personal use.

It doesn't matter what he is unsung it for but WHERE it is going. My understanding here are at least 4 states where trade of any kind in an ivory is banned, including fossil ivory. I do believe that New York and California are to of them.
thanks, I looked into and tried to steer him away it but customer wants the natural mat'l

. yes, it's a very good known customer and for his personal use.

I used to get artificial ivory from Jephco Supply that worked great. I just tried to get on their site and it’s not there anymore. I’d love to find out what the exact material was they were selling as “artificial ivory.” It was tough stuff and was super easy to work. I would just sand to 220 grit and then buff and it would be as deep and shiny as paper micarta taken to 2000 grit and buffed. I really wish I knew what the exact material was, so I could get more. :/

This was their “aged” artificial ivory.

dGJQKAb.jpg

i44DaFQ.jpg

puHrfrJ.jpg

Back