Elk season 2019

Anyone else here a big hunter of elk?
Im very much looking forward to this season, and the planning stages are already in the works, hah.
Last season did not work out for me with my mother passing away i another state the day before the season opener, and lets just say i wasnt in the mood for hunting i guess.
So this year its on.
Just need to decide what unit i would like to hunt and hope to draw the permit.
I archery hunt, and have enough points to draw most units, so im pumped.

Based off the last replies in this subforum, it doesnt see a lot of activity, so hopefully any of you elk hunters can chime in.

How was your 2018? Much success?

I've already got my hunts lined up for this year.
Bastian ranch in Utah the first week of October for elk and the third week on September to Newfoundland for moose and woodland caribou.
Still looking to add points in Arizona , Colorado Wyoming and My home state of Pennsylvania.
Hunted the Mecalero Apache Reservation in New Mexico
Good luck on your plans for 2019
elk 1.jpg elk 2.jpg last year and took this bull the last day , great hunt saw 40 bulls a day.

Thats a really nice bull there H huntergold!!
seeing 40 bulls a day tell me that you were not in utah in 2018. hah. It was a rough hunt for a lot of fellas here.
And thats awesome you are hunting Bastian, I hunt all the public land all around that ranch every year, Im even friends with the ranch operators son, he gets an elk there every year, hah
If you havent been there, or know them, it will be a great hunt! Might even get in on some tail end rutting depending on how it goes this year. Ive seen them rutting and bugling into the 2nd week of october before, but thats pretty rare for sure.

Thanks for posting!

My 2017 season was impacted by my mothers ongoing fight with cancer (she had a 3.5 year battle and passed feb 2018). Elk season 2018 was an odd one, lots of elk but it was weird not worrying about my mother. I am very much looking fouto 2019. It will be my 10th year chasing those incredible animals with my bow. Although I think the wife is becoming suspicious of my elk hunting, only one elk has packed our freezer and graced our table in those years.

My 2017 season was impacted by my mothers ongoing fight with cancer (she had a 3.5 year battle and passed feb 2018). Elk season 2018 was an odd one, lots of elk but it was weird not worrying about my mother. I am very much looking fouto 2019. It will be my 10th year chasing those incredible animals with my bow. Although I think the wife is becoming suspicious of my elk hunting, only one elk has packed our freezer and graced our table in those years.

Sorry to hear about your loss, its a tough one to deal with.
2019 will be better for us for sure.

I just applied for my hunts here in utah, and i think i will go to colorado and try and archery hunt the rut there, since here in utah the archery season ends about a week prior to the rut, its brutal, hah.

If the snow keeps falling here, its going to be a while until i get any scouting done

Anyone else here a big hunter of elk?
Im very much looking forward to this season, and the planning stages are already in the works, hah.
Last season did not work out for me with my mother passing away i another state the day before the season opener, and lets just say i wasnt in the mood for hunting i guess.
So this year its on.
Just need to decide what unit i would like to hunt and hope to draw the permit.
I archery hunt, and have enough points to draw most units, so im pumped.

Based off the last replies in this subforum, it doesnt see a lot of activity, so hopefully any of you elk hunters can chime in.

How was your 2018? Much success?
Kind of an older thread, but elk is my passion, and the reason I got into knife making. I need to start hanging out more in this section. You can see my 2018 New Mexico bull in my avatar. I have another tag this year, same area. Archery hunt, in the wilderness.

Back