Elusive knife

What knife did you dream about owning when you were a kid? For me it was a Puma Hunter's Pal. It just seemed like THE outdoor knife. Something you would carry on safari in the Serengetti. I had to settle for a Western Boy Scout knife but I sure wanted one of those Pumas. I saw it every week in the sporting goods section of a department store we used to shop at. It was just too much money for me then. Now...well, I think I can do better for the same money but it STILL looks good.
smile.gif

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

When I was a kid back in the 50's, there were plenty of "cowboy" TV programs, including "Jim Bowie". I lusted after a big, bad bowie knife!
My first fixed-blade knife was one of those ubiquitous leather-washer handled hunters with a wildlife scene ( deer or elk..) etched onto the blade and colored. Hell, to a 12-year old, it was pretty neat!

Yeah I'm another child of the 50's now in his 50's. Before there was the TV Show "Jim Bowie" there was the movie "Davy Crockett" from Disney. At the Alamo, Davy holds up Jim Bowie's "Arkansas toothpick" the image of that kinife is so etched in my memory that when I think of a knife, that's the image that comes to mind. The closest non-custom knife that I know of is Randall's #12 Smithsonian Bowie, and I know I'll never be satisfied until I get one. Now, I'll admit with what I spent on knives last year I could have bought four of them and I didn't. Maybe I need to keep it my elusive knife for a little bit longer.
wink.gif

------------------
"Will work 4 Knives!"
My PhotoPoint Site

The Gerber BMF with the sawteeth back.

The first 'real' knife I ever saw. In those days I could not afford one. Now I still can't but I spend much more...

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!
Founding president and member number 1! Wana join?

For me it was the big Western Bowie. I used to drool over it every week, but $30 was an awful lot of money for a knife! I never did get one. Now I prefer smaller blades and I'm even starting to make some myself.

Paul

mine was a gerber survival blade, that double edged one with serrations.

------------------

a cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer, if he sees it coming, that is.
Cats, The Other White Meat.{courtesy of VG}
life's tough, get a helmet.
A few of my Knives
russ aka BladeZealot

Mine was a swing guard auto my Dad kept up in the closet... That thing was huge and wicked looking. Later on I actually 'borrowed' it and then had it taken when searched. Still elusive as I haven't replaced it.
wink.gif

Shawn

------------------
"I didn't do it! Nobody saw
me do it! You can't prove a
thing!"

-Bart Simpson

When I was a young kid (70's) all that my friends and I wanted was a stiletto "switchblade". Since we could'nt get them we used to buy those switchblade combs, then we would slide the comb part out of the little metal rail it sat in and then we would slide in 2 razor blades, the first razor would slide in all the way down towards the pivot end and the second one would fit in perfectly but we would have to grind the front part of the second blade to make it like the tip of a knife blade
smile.gif

Then we got "real" knives...007's !!

Donald.

what i wanted was a genuine imitation frost bowie. it was about 8 dollars at a junk store in a town i used to live in.but alas,i never got it,you had to be 16 to buy knives,and i was only ten or eleven...
i sure do miss that store
frown.gif

The Gerber MKII.

Other than that I wanted the one that can chop through a tank, excellent for food use, chop through a tree, and never needs sharpening.

Will

[This message has been edited by Will Kwan (edited 02-18-2001).]

What I really wanted when I was in Jr. High was a Puma Skinner. It had a staghorn handle and Nickle Silver bolsters and rivets, you could see the spot where each blade had been tested for hardness, really pretty knife. I saved my pennies and bought this blade while in high school; $32 in 1970 (that was alot of money then). About five years ago somebody broke into my house and stole it, and I still miss it.

Rick

When I was 10 or so, I was fascinated by Khukris. Even tried to make one by beating on a broken blade from a lawnmover to bend it. I still have the scars on my left hand from this first (and disasterous) attempt at joining the ranks of the bladesmiths.

Red

------------------
"Praise not the day until evening has come;a sword until it is tried; ice until it has been crossed; beer until it has been drunk" - Viking proverb

Buck 110! Growing up in the late '70s/early '80s, these knives were everywhere and man I wanted one! On a trip to Tiajuana with my grandad, I bought a cheapo $4 auto and subsequently traded it to a kid in my class for a Schrade LB7 ... wasn't the Buck of my dreams, but it was a great knife. Or, I should say, IS a great knife. I still have it.

mnblade, it's not a Buck 110, true. It's better!
wink.gif

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

I always wanted an Al Mar Eagle, the old style that had a 6A blade and was not two hand opening. I could by one now but I don't see the point when there are so many really tacticals out there.

I always wanted the original Rambo knife. Now I want a Reeve Project 1! and a few more khukuris, and a Strider, and a Randall...

Back