Emerson CQC-7: 4 Years of Abuse.

Hi all,

First review, please take it easy on me.

I got my 2012 Emerson CQC-7 four years ago. In those four years, I've put it through hell and back, and it survived.

The CQC-7 I have is the CQC-7b, with the tanto chisel grind and wave opener. I've used it for things most people would cringe at. I've hammered it into thick hard plastic. I've hammered the edge to break the head off a screw. I've slammed the tip into ice and concrete clearing a frozen step. I've pried open paint cans, stuck doors, and pieces of wood to break them in half. Used it to plane the top of a door that wouldn't fit into the frame. Used it as a screwdriver, a scraping tool, you name it, I've done it all.

Why would I use a knife for these tasks? Easy. It's all I was carrying at the time. I'm wiser now, I carry a multi-tool (more on this later), but the knife is (generally) tough as hell. The tip only broke once when I used it as an icepick against frozen ice and concrete (I reprofiled it with my dremel in 10 min, so not a problem at all), and the only problem really with using it hard is the edge chips easily even when opening a can. I've opened cans with some Ganzos and the edge rolled over, it didn't chip. The heat treat might be too hard on this knife even though Emerson says he lowers the heat treat, so maybe it's a 154 steel characteristic but I don't know so I won't make a judgement on that.

After these 4 years of abuse, the liner lock is almost to the end (only 80%, surprisingly, after getting a beatdown for years) but it has NEVER failed on me and has been a breeze to maintain with the flathead/phillips screws and simple mechanism of the liner lock. The chisel grind is dead easy to sharpen, sharpen the bevel till you raise a burr and knock it off on the chisel side. That's it. So when it chips it's easy to reprofile, at least.

Three major cons, though:

1) The chisel grind. Love sharpening it, hate using it. Yes, it veers to one side but that's the least of the problem. The blade cuts like SHIT. Even when moderately sharp it struggles. You end up with a lot of wrist and hand pain after a while struggling to get it in to simple materials like paracord and cable cause it's so thick. My Douk-Douk cuts paracord even when dull as it;s so thin and the ergos aren't even half as good as the CQC-7. It's just the enormous pressure you have to use.

2) It's heavy. At 5 ounces, I'll rather carry a mid-sized multi-tool instead. Lots of multitools exist that have blades and flatheads I can use for prying.

3) I hate the wave. It's not 100% reliable and sometimes no matter how much you think you got it this time the knife ends up half open. It's very hit and miss. And yes, I've been waving it daily for 4 years. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. With loose, open pockets and loose pivots the odds are up there. In jeans with standard pockets, not really. I would rather have gotten the non-wave version but at least I got to test it out.

Carrying a multi-tool is going to be the better option for most people. A good multitool from Leatherman costs less than a new CQC-7 and can take the same if not more abuse. My leatherman sidekick I got for $35 has also been through hell and back. And if you feel you have no use for a multi-tool, and want to carry a folding knife, the RAT-1 is a better, cheaper option that can be worked just as hard (trust me, I abuse the hell out of everything I own).

Still, for what it is, it performed the job admirably, an I have to admit the knife has a lot of soul!

Thanks guys.

The CQC-7A was a dream knife of mine, until I got it in hand. Just too thick for my needs. Nice read, thanks for the post.

Yeah, the chisel grind sucks. So does the CM-154, compared to newer steels available today. Still, pretty good rugged users. Doubt there's much hope Ernie will emerge from the Dark Ages and start offeri

I was in love with the idea of the Emerson CQC line about 15 or more yrs ago. Your objections are why I never bought one. My reservations are now confirmed.

Zieg

The CQC-7A was a dream knife of mine, until I got it in hand. Just too thick for my needs. Nice read, thanks for the post.

Thanks! Out of curiosity, how did it cut? Having a traditional v-grind with a chisel-edge, I would assume it wasn't that bad? Or was it still a bear to use?

It wasn't as bad, still pushed used one direction however. I have a weak spot for Emersons, always will I bet. Just in actual use they fall flat for me. If I was in the woods a lot or in combat, if I didn't have a fixed blade, I'd probably pick an Emerson.

If I could pick up a CQC-13 for a little over 100 bucks I'd do so in a heartbeat. Cool design.

It wasn't as bad, still pushed used one direction however. I have a weak spot for Emersons, always will I bet. Just in actual use they fall flat for me. If I was in the woods a lot or in combat, if I didn't have a fixed blade, I'd probably pick an Emerson.

If I could pick up a CQC-13 for a little over 100 bucks I'd do so in a heartbeat. Cool design.

Thanks, and I agree on your views of Emersons, they seem to put hard use and tactical first while sacrificing cutting ability. Yeah, out of all the Emersons the CQC-13 would be the one I'd go for, looks gorgeous and I'm sure it's a tank!

Lol. I understand a lot of your feelings. I just love my emerson CQC-7A and mini commandor. Yes they suck at cutting compared to most modern knives but for some reason I love carrying mine. And yes they take a good beating and just beg for more. I will always have a CQC-7 in my collection. In fact I bought 2 7a's since there hard to find and never wanted to be with out one . Lol. There such a love hate relationship.

The 13 is a great knife, one of my favorite Emersons. I'm with you about being into Emerson designs. I have a few still floating around but mostly what I carry these days are traditionals. Still grab the Super 8 every now and then, usually when hiking.

I grabbed a cqc-7 mini for 85 bucks. The shame, what have I done. I couldn't resist. Let's see how long it takes me to get tired of it.

CQC7a is a great all around knife IMO, I have Protech's auto version. Blade is a bit thick to be a great cutter but it's sturdy enough I'm not worried about damaging it during relatively normal use. My only niggle is that PT's is fairly heavy, not sure how it matches to Emerson's. The blade on mine has a conventional grind, I've tried chisel before and like most find it to... mostly suck. Useful as a scraper though :/ I kind of want to try a chisel grind on a kitchen knife, I can see how it could be useful for "peeling" off each slice and the Japanese certainly know how to cut.

How has F&F held up? I know that is one of the most common complaints have about Emerson knifes.

I can't Believe he still in business. I think he's going to pull a strider soon and close his doors b

There is just something unique in an Emerson. It sounds silly, but if I had to pick one in my collection for actual protection it would be and Emerson. Which seems to be a part of the design philosophy so..

I can't Believe he still in business. I think he's going to pull a strider soon and close his doors b

Highly doubt it. A lot of his knives, especially the limited availability and special editions, sell out within minutes. Besides, Emerson isn't a scumbag ala Burger.

But his knives make benchmade look like a grate value. And that's just not good. I was really considering one but for that price it's unbelievable. I'm not trying to be an ass I know some ppl really like his knives but the only thing ok I can say about them is the ergonomics are ok. IMO spyderco has them beat in that category.

But his knives make benchmade look like a grate value. And that's just not good. I was really considering one but for that price it's unbelievable. I'm not trying to be an ass I know some ppl really like his knives but the only thing ok I can say about them is the ergonomics are ok. IMO spyderco has them beat in that category.
Your opinion is completely valid. I too thought they were overpriced and poorly made. Crap, if you go back 5 years on my posts you'll find me ragging on them. But something about them got me into his knives, they were all I bought for a while. Spyderco makes a better cutting tool for sure, maybe a slight edge on ergonomics. Spydercos are made with better materials and are priced accordingly, and Emersons are just 154cm, a ti and steel liners and black G10 (usually). That's the beauty of the market, you can get a great knife that will out perform Emersons for cheaper and be better made.

The newer ones that I checked out were well made with good grinds and ergos on these knives are excellent.154cm is good steel but Emerson should leave it little harder.for me they are overpriced but none the less good knives.I think spyderco and benchmade are overpriced too.

Back