Emerson HD-7 Back in Stock

That certainly wasn't the impression of the last person who found themselves on the wrong end of mine. Just sayin'. (and no blood was shed)
O its definitely mental on my part. Once I noticed the difference my brain kinda locked on it for some dumb reason.

I'm not an especially big fan of tantos, but there's something appealing to me about the 6 that is warming me up on them a bit. I am a huge 7 fan, but mine are all spear points.

So anyway I'm now starting to warm up to the classic chisel 7, but my admittedly stupid pickyness has me disappointed that the newer blades aren't very wide any more, like the Benchmades and first few Emerson generations. The looks of those earlier ones instantly appeal to me more for some reason.

Anyways hope that makes some sense. Definitely not insinuating anything pathetic about the 7's performance. Simply an asthetic description.

Glad your knife did its thing how it did.

👍

I picked one up and the lock bar is all the way over and the blade is off center. I've reached to Emerson a few days ago, no response yet. Is this one of those simple loosen the screws and re-tighten to get it right? I can't keep it like it is.

I picked one up and the lock bar is all the way over and the blade is off center. I've reached to Emerson a few days ago, no response yet. Is this one of those simple loosen the screws and re-tighten to get it right? I can't keep it like it is.

If your comfortable with it and know what your doing I'd try dis-assembling it and then reassemble it . That might do the trick and to my knowledge it won't void the warranty but if I stand corrected someone should chime in I'm sure .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mind doing it but I'd like some response from Emerson on that might do it. I'd rather not send it back if that's an option.

I don't mind doing it but I'd like some response from Emerson on that might do it. I'd rather not send it back if that's an option.

That's why I recommended taking it apart while your waiting for a response from Emerson . It could be something as simple as just taking it apart and putting it back together . Should take about 5 to 10 minutes if you know what your doing . If you don't then I recommend just waiting for a response from Emerson and giving them a call instead of waiting for a email response .
Just my 2 cents ...

Disassembling will not void the warranty, these knives were meant to be taken apart and cleaned. I had to reduce the tension on my older HD7s lockbar and it still Locks up very late. As long as it doesn't have blade play I don't mind late lockup. New one on the right older on left.

20170218_130848_zps2bluatc4.jpg

Disassembling will not void the warranty, these knives were meant to be taken apart and cleaned. I had to reduce the tension on my older HD7s lockbar and it still Locks up very late. As long as it doesn't have blade play I don't mind late lockup. New one on the right older on left.

20170218_130848_zps2bluatc4.jpg
I wouldn't think a late lock up would make a difference . Sometimes it probably gives it a more solid lock up with no lock rock . I sure wouldn't want it rubbing against the opposite scale though but that's just me .
I think a late lockup within reason isn't a bad thing but just has a bad rap lol and people panic if it's over 50% . Edit:My Iron Dragon has settled in at a pretty nice 35 to 40 % with no lock rock [emoji106]
a940b1041038800e728a6cee568d4ee1.jpg

Last edited:
Dodgeem33, you may just have to tighten the pivot screw. Within a few hours, the lock bar moved significantly over to the right on my Emerson. I found that the pivot screw on my Hd7 was slowly backing out. No locktite was applied at the factory. I simply removed the pivot screw, added a touch of locktite tighened it up and the Hd7 was perfect. Lock up is exactly like the above pic. After a few days of use, the pivot screw has not moved. Still loving this knives!

Last edited:
OK, back to blade shapes, for a second. WHY Ernest doesn't offer a traditional Japanese blade shape is a mystery. An Emerson yoroi toshi folder? I mean, come on!!
rolf

DJC72...you're a hero. Tightened the pivot and re centered the black and took about 30% off of the lock bar. My blue lock-tite was a little too old for my taste but I'll grab a fresh one tomorrow and do it right!

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of $$ for a knife to have these problems out of the box. Sure they might work themselves out but you could spend $200 and get a ZT Emerson with no issues and a better blade steel. Starting to think the best thing that happened to Emerson is ZT. My ZT Emerson's are ultra smooth and have zero issues. Cant' say the same for the numerous Emerson's I've owned.

Don't get me wrong, I love Emerson designs and the ergo's are amazing, but when your shelling out that much cash I'd expect better QC.

I have to send my friggin' Super Roadhouse in which has terrible lock slip. My ZT 0620 did not come perfect. The lockbar tension was far too low and the lockup percentage too low so if I just bumped it slightly it came undone and the blade closed on my finger a few times. I had to take the knife apart and bend the lockbar inwards more. Now it is fine, although I wish it would wear abit so the lockup percentage would be a little higher.

I also wish that the the ZT's would come without that useless extra liner underneath the g10 or carbon fibre scale. It just makes the knife uselessly heavy and thick.

I have to send my friggin' Super Roadhouse in which has terrible lock slip. My ZT 0620 did not come perfect. The lockbar tension was far too low and the lockup percentage too low so if I just bumped it slightly it came undone and the blade closed on my finger a few times. I had to take the knife apart and bend the lockbar inwards more. Now it is fine, although I wish it would wear abit so the lockup percentage would be a little higher.

I also wish that the the ZT's would come without that useless extra liner underneath the g10 or carbon fibre scale. It just makes the knife uselessly heavy and thick.

I agree on the liner, it would be nice if they just got rid of it.

Spend enough time looking at any knife and I'm sure you could find flaws in all of them. This includes customs worth $1,000 or more from a lot of well known shops. While my early batch 0620CF in m390 has really good action, my two 630s (s35vn and m390) definitely have detent and other lockbar issues. I also like the liner under the g10/CF because it allows them to have screw threading to mount the pocket clip on the left side while offering a little more rigidity. But I suppose I'm the minority that enjoy the option of left side carry.

Anyways, still enjoying the new HD7 with its bearings along with the Iron Dragon which I just picked up from another member here. Those two knives have been fighting for my pocket space since I got them. :D

Tomorrow I call my knife store and find out the status on the HD7 they were supposed to order for me. I'll probably pick up a Cqc8 too.

I'm actually getting to really love this thing.

I centered the blade and adjusted the lock bar tension and now it's awesome.

I don't generally like the wave feature on these things, but this thing with a lanyard (so I don't launch it across my kitchen like I did once lol) absolutely flies out of my pocket & waves open every single time.

~John

I just broke down one of the thickest walled cardboard boxes I've seen in a long time. The Hd7 cut through it like Obi Wan Kenobi's light saber cutting through...well, a cardboard box. Afterward's the blade was still very sharp and after 60 seconds on my strop is was back to hair poping sharpness. The lock bar did move to 85% during the task but disengaged easily and rested back at its original 30-40% lock up apron reopening. While the handle is a tad on the short side, the Hd7 has solid ergonomics even when really bearing down on it. The Hd7 won't let any other folder find its way into my pocket. I am a big folder guy but I like this knife more than my Iron Dragon.

If you had no issues with your own production Emersons, than why would you worry so much about what other people say about Emerson's "poor" build quality?

But back on topic about Emerson vs ZT framelocks. Here are the main differences, Emersons are noticeably lighter, newer production versions run on ball bearings, and the blade stock is a little thinner which could mean better cutting performance in some situations. The smaller blade stock also makes the Emersons slimmer in handle design to make them a tiny bit more comfortable in the pocket. I know some people don't like the bearings, but I personally like them.

On the other hand, the ZT 0620/0630 uses newer steels, runs pretty smoothly with Phosphor Bronze washers, is drilled and tapped for left/right carry, and has a more rigid body than the Emerson framelocks.

So, which ever set of benefits appeals to you more should help steer you towards an Emerson or ZT. A lot of people on BF put a lot of weight on blade steel, which makes the ZTs more attractive. If the HD7 tanto is not for you, than the bigger Iron Dragon might be a better comparison for the ZT0630

Back