Emerson La Griffe

About two weeks ago, I purchased an Emerson La Griffe. I have been so pleased with this little knife I thought I would tell you why. First, the knife comes very very sharp, as it should. It appears to be well made and it fits my medium size hand OK, given its purpose as a concealable back-up knife. That's all well and good. It's a fixed blade knife with no moving parts. No magic here yet. However what I am impressed with is the total package. In reviewing past posts, I saw there was some dissatisfaction with the sheath that comes with the La Griffe. I am pleased with the minimalist flavor of the sheath. It provides basic protection to the blade and the user and allows for rapid access.

The package came with a black stainless steel ball chain. I adjusted the length to fit my body and the result is a blade which rests, just right, on my chest. The knife does not twist on the chain and therefore, the knife's grip is always properly positioned on my chest. The knife and sheath do not print at all and I literally am unaware of its presence after a few minutes.

I know this knife may lack the bells and whistles found on other packages, but for me it is perfect. I like to keep things simple.
I highly recommend you give it a look if are in the market for a simple, size efficient, effective back-up piece.

Willieboy

[This message has been edited by Willie Boy (edited 11-23-2000).]

Thumbs I say also.......simple knife..simple design.......great back up piece and also great for utility stuff......box & tape cutting, unpacking & so forth. I carried one inside my shirt for about a year..every comfortable to wear also.

------------------
Knives & Things
Mike Payne

Got mine a few weeks ago, with the paracord instead og the ball-chain.

My sheath's pretty loose, and there's a slight rattling sound when i'm wearing it.
frown.gif
Is it just me or is it a common problem?

I like the design though, so may eventually get the version by Fred Perrin with G-10 handles. The cost of that is $165, I think.

You can tighten the sheath by carefully heating it (with a hair dryer etc, I used a hot air pistol used for paint removal) and pressing while it´s cooling, with the knife in the sheath of course.
I love the Griffe design, it´s by far the most effective defensive blade in its tiny size I know of, and very flat for concealed neck carry.
The finger hole makes it very secure in the hand although it has a very short handle, and you can use the hawksbill blade with surprising power. Great design.

------------------
"Peace is not without conflict; it is the ability to cope with conflict" - Leo Giron
www.messerforum.net - the premier German language knife-related web board

I've been the proud owner of my La Griffe for a while now, and all I can say is...

La Griffe, I love ya baby!!

It's everything a neck knife should be, and more. Unless, of course, you have huge hands. Then you need a custom...

What's great about the La Griffe is that it also flies in reverse grip! Loop the chain around your belt and stick the whole shebang into your waistband, and instant static cord carry. Oh yeah!

Now all I need is a titanium one, and then I'll be the HAPPIEST man in the world! HaHaHaHaHa!!!!

If you like Emerson version you'll love the original. It's better looking, easier to resharpen and more comfortable if you get one with a wood or so handle.

Did someone say original La Griffes?
biggrin.gif

<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=185132&a=1406520&p=14911241&Sequence=0&res=high" TARGET=_blank>
Thumbnail
</A><A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=185132&a=1406520&p=31531365&Sequence=0&res=high" TARGET=_blank>
Thumbnail
</A><A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=185132&a=1406520&p=33414729&Sequence=0&res=high" TARGET=_blank>
Thumbnail
</A>

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.
wink.gif
BTW, BladeArt has some real beauties shown including an ivory handled one w/red spacers, Bowie style blade, & file worked tang.

------------------
Cheers,
Brian

He who finishes with the most toys wins.

I got mine Friday, 11/24/2K and I gotta say it is growing on me. kudos for the gentlemen above for not boring the hell out of us with specs we can read about elsewhere or maybe in case of this little hideout are immaterial.

The Griffe is one of those kives which seem to teach you about it as you play around. Maybe a few years of blade training don't hurt either, but it is a really istinctive piece. i find I like the reverse grip better than forward, as it lets me get better use of the trap assist for this blade (to call it a knife would indicate there would be more of it...) and inspires me to kep a really tight fist. I played around with it and am happy to report I found about sixteen variations of the simple jab(Fred Degerberg is big on jabs) with this blade and the most important aspect of it as with any properly designed weapon is it makes you think. This is what the BM Kuma Zume could have ben if BM had patience or at least better marketing for the knife.

The Griffe is a nice size for LEO-happy people, but is a bit small for the ideal defensive piece. Personally I think ideal defensive size would be he size of a Ford Expedition/ Chevy Suburban/ Ram 3500 CrewCab Dualie, lots of steel betwen you and me, still, its function as a hide-in-site knife is very relevant in urban life. Coupled with a bigger piece like maybe a busse or a Randall it takes on an even more important relevance. kife people do not think twice about using in public. The griffe is a better choice in site than a Mean Street or Combat Companion.

I have fixed a Kydex sheath as described above, so I do not care it rattles a bit. I got mine with paracord, and will likely turn it into a key fob or something of that ilk. I am not a neck knife guy, even wit a very thick neck (flexed as wide as the head, jahwohl), and have tried to get them out while running hard in cold weather as a sort of dexterity test, it is impossible for my cod and arthritic fingers. (I prefer a Randall 14 or similar for that cold weather stuff, but the subrban fuzz get funy about such rambunctious behavior) In any case, I need to work out a carry mode with keys or similar but the keys already have my Saphire on it.

Fred Perrin makes a pretty sweet La Griffe key chain... I have both the Emerson and La Griffe and really enjoy them... The blade style is a little different but if you contact Perrin he might be able to provide you with a key chain sheath???

i just popped the paracord off and put a nice strong ring on the hole of the kydex sheath; it weighs next to nothing and then it's always there with my keys (not to mention within easy reach when i'm driving!)...

I have been carrying mine around my neck. However, I also a made a short fob (I can't think of a better word than "fob" right now.) about 4 inches long. I used a heavy black shoe lace, as found in my old jump boots. At the end, I have attached a small, hard rubber ball about one half inch in diameter. When not carring the knife around my neck, I attach this creation to the holes in the sheath and carry the knife in my pocket. The fob with the rubber ball is a great aid to separating the knife from the sheath.

I did the same thing with my Polkowski Bodyguard except I attached the fob to the lanyard hole in the knife's handle. It serves the same purpose, i.e., an extraction aid.

The rubber ball I used was once a piece of scuba diving equipment which I adapted. The rubber device I used on my Polkowski piece was a bushing intended to prevent rattles on a Hunter ceiling fan. Both items work far better as I used them than they would have in their intended role.

Back