Emerson or Al Mar SERE 2000 for workin' knife?

Which would be the better hard workin', take-abuse knife?

• Emerson Mach-1/Max-1 (same knife)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Al Mar SERE 2000

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Since I started collecting customs, autos, etc. I've come to realize I don't have a hard-working, diggin' in the dirt, scrapin' paint, prying, hammerin', abusin' folder and I need one.

So I'm thinking either an Emerson Mach-1/Max-1 (same knife) or an Al Mar SERE 2000.

I've got plenty of experience with the Emersons (chisel edges don't bother me) and zero with the Al Mar. Anyone beat the heck out of both of them?

I'm kinda leanin' toward the Al Mar because I think it has thicker liners and therefore a sturdier knife. What do you all think?

Well, based on price, and my person preferance, I'd go with the Emreson. I think that they are both fine knives.

I think you owe it to yourself to experience the Al Mar. Fit and finish are typically better than Emerson's. No doubt both would be fine knives, but I lean to the Al Mar.

I own both knives and I agree with J. Rummerfield, go with a Buck/Strider. It blows both knives out of the water for rodustness. Don't get me wrong the S2K is head and shoulders above every EKI I have owned or seen except for Emersons custom work. Matter of fact I think out there today in the manufactured market the S2K and the B/S are two of the best manufactured knives available to a person. I have seen none better for lockup and fit and finish. I really like VG10 steel too. Bucks ATS34 as done by BOS is exceptional in this regard also. The B/S is just that much more heavier duty than even the S2K as for torsional stiffness. You know not easily flexed.

I am carrying a large spear point Buck/Strider as I type. I have been carrying it for the past few weeks exclusively and have to say after putting new liners, scales, and pivot bushings in the knife, thanks to Mr. Rummerfield and Josh I don't think one could ask for a more robust working tool that will take a beating for a folding knife. I purchased this knife used and the fella I purchased it from just made the scales to smooth for my hand. So in a nutshell they sent me a whole new rebuild kit for it. Don't get any better than that. If you are really going to beat the knife get the tanto point as I think the point may even be more robust than the spear point that I have.

I have used this knife when bowhunting and let my buddy gut his deer with it. Worked great in this regard albeit the handle a bit large for him when opening the body cavity. I have used it to pry out judo points out of all manner of stumps and trees even before I rebuilt it. Never seemed to bother it at all. I opened a new can of paint with the point too. Something I haven't done with any other folding knife I own. Mostly because I was afraid of hurting the knife when doing so. Didn't hurt the B/S. Well as you can see I pretty stoked on the Buck offering. It is a hell for stoudt knife. A sharpened pry bar if you will but that aint' a bad thing neither. keepem sharp

I have never seen a production Emerson that was fit and finished as well as any Al Mar, That being said the SERE is as heavy duty as any Emerson I have seen if not more so. The Buck Strider feels cheap next to a SERE, the Buck Striders ain't bad but not even in the same ballpark as Al Mar.

Well, I just ordered a SERE 2000. I might still get the Emerson if I can find a deal on one, but I think I made the right decision. ;)

I'm a day late and a dollar short as usual but I think you made the right choice. I've owned several emersons and been unhappy w/ them in comparison to my S2K which is may favorite EDC all around using knife.

That is and excellent working tool. Ive used mine for about five years and it has not ever failed me. From cutting contaniers to scraping roots, it does it all! The sere 2000 will serve you very very very well!
Buddylee :D

I just got my Al Mar SERE 2000. This thing is about twice as tough as any production Emerson I've seen - twice as heavy too. I did good! I don't care for the deep carry clip, but this knife will do some serious work! Thanks. :)

FoL,

Be sure to check the lock for security.

I've had more than my fair share of the S2k whose locks slipped or otherwise failed under spine pressure or whacks.

-j

I'm merely a peasant here and have not the right to vote so I'm gonna have to type out my thoughts on this.

I've handled a number of Emerson's and found them, for the most part, to be somewhat lackluster. I really wanted to like the Mach-1 because it looks to be very useful but again in handling it didn't do much for me. :confused: I suppose they're just not my cup of tea because Emerson is wildly popular with cutlery-collectors and he obviously puts out a quality product or the demand for his stuff would be non-existant rather than almost non-obtainable. :D
The only Emerson I found that appealed to me was/is the La Griffe. Very nice little piece of cutlery there.

Now, OTOH, I've found the SERE 2000 to be very well made, great fit and finish, tank tough and a good lookin' knife to boot. That is one folder that will never be for sale or trade as long as I'm suckin' wind. Are you reading this Mrs. misque? :p :D

My vote has to go to the SERE 2000

Oh great... I guess I should read thru the thread first before posting. DUH!!

I see you chose the S2K 5 days ago. Great choice! Enjoy!

the sere is a good one, the EKI mach1 or maxx1 or whatever is my least fav EKI, try a SOCFK/CQC8/CQC7/P-Tac even a commander before the maxx imho, they are yucky lol.

have had 2 sere's and they are a good 1 for sure though.

misque said:
I'm merely a peasant here and have not the right to vote so I'm gonna have to type out my thoughts on this.

I've handled a number of Emerson's and found them, for the most part, to be somewhat lackluster. I really wanted to like the Mach-1 because it looks to be very useful but again in handling it didn't do much for me. :confused: I suppose they're just not my cup of tea because Emerson is wildly popular with cutlery-collectors and he obviously puts out a quality product or the demand for his stuff would be non-existant rather than almost non-obtainable. :D
The only Emerson I found that appealed to me was/is the La Griffe. Very nice little piece of cutlery there.

Now, OTOH, I've found the SERE 2000 to be very well made, great fit and finish, tank tough and a good lookin' knife to boot. That is one folder that will never be for sale or trade as long as I'm suckin' wind. Are you reading this Mrs. misque? :p :D

My vote has to go to the SERE 2000

I'm a fan of the Emersons and the only thing I don't like is the price. They ARE a tough, no-nonsense knife, but you're right; they're usually a little rough around the edges - which, in itself, isn't a bad thing on a working knife, but should cost about 40% less than they do. That's why I get all my Emersons on ebay or the forums.
;)
Another thing I've always thought odd about the Emersons is that most of them are essentially the SAME THING just cut into different shapes (Commander, Mach-1, Blackbird, Specwar, CQC-8, Blackhawk) and marked as if each one was some kind of knife design breakthrough.

I was actually shocked at how much nicer the Al Mar was over the Emersons at the price that I think the Emersons SHOULD cost. One of the best knives for the money I've seen so far - and that's a lot.

biogon,
Thanks. I will check that today at work as soon as nobody's looking. ;)

FoL,

*laugh*

I don't know why, as some of the ones I've seen were absolutely rock solid, but I've seen one that failed a whippy spine wack, one that failed spine pressure, and one with the weirdest divot taken out of the tang.

They really are extremely well finished production knives, I agree. I really should like them more than I do ... I think I just find the balance not to my particular liking is all.

Nice score! :)

-jon

Back