Emerson Super Roadhouse issues

Hey all,

I just want to head off this by saying I am no novice when it comes to tuning the lockup of a knife. I have experience with high end Spyderco, Kershaw, Midtech knives and so on. That being said I very much knew what I was getting into when picking up a borderline brand new (no significant wear, no evidence of any real use) Emerson Super Roadhouse after sitting on the decision for 4+ years. I was not expecting some super perfect F&F, I understand and appreciate the "it works good so send it" mentality Emerson has.

I want to make it clear this is not a bashing thread at all. I also apologize for my atrocious formating and will try to clean it up whenever I can.

My Super Roadhouse seems to be plagued by a few issues, all relating to the pivot as far as I can tell.

A.) The pivot pulls the blade to the locking side when tightened, this would be typical if not for the fact that the blade is rubbing the handles opened with the thumbstud. It is adjusted to the point where opening is easy but there is no blade play when the liner engages. Tightening the pivot pushes the blade even more against the lockside liner. I can push the blade in the handle easily.

B.) The washers are two different sizes, I will have to retake measurements because I am not home but off the top of my head one was 77 and the other was 84.

C.) This one I have heard about in the past, but the secondary (retention) detent is very weak. The blade will easily shake open with little effort, wiggle open even. This knife has big blade, but it is not that heavy and I have a Rick Barrett Fallout midtech that has a much heavier blade and does not pop open (I understand one is liner lock and one is a frame lock), just for reference sake.

D.) There is also a very small gap inbetween the washers, blade, and liners that I can see light through. If I squeeze the knife handle towards the pivot end, I can see the gap close up. I also see the blade begin to center itself. This makes me concerned that the liners have "bowlegged" or warped.

Attempts to remedy the issues above are described below:

I tried swapping the thicker washer to the lock side in order to fix the issue described in "A.)" but had no real success.

I tried adjusting the retention detent, again, to see if it had any real effect on the blade centering, to reduce the issue described in "A.)", but again with no success.

I tried adjusting the retention detent to fix the issue described in "C.)" to make it stay closed in a more secure manner, to no significant changes.

Potential solution for issue "D.)" that I am considering is attempting to bend the liners very slightly and carefully, perhaps just by squeezing them in a vice, to see if this remedies issues "A.)", "D.)" and potentially also "C.)".

Now I am more than happy to send the knife in with the printed form required by Emerson Knives, but I would of course prefer to keep the knife in my possession so I can use it as my EDC. So I am just curious if anyone on here has any input that I can use.

I can post pics when I get home (though unfortunately my current phone camera is doodoo).

Thanks all.

David,
Sounds like you have tried most of all the steps I would try.
I have done this little trick on other brand knives in the past and have had good success with the centering of the blade however, it wont do anything for the soft detent.
1. I loosen the handle screws as loose as possible without them coming out.
2. Loosen the pivot screw
3. push the blade over to the side that it's not rubbing
4. Fold a small piece of paper or something that wont damage the blade, and wedge it between the blade and scale.
5. Tighten all the handle screws.
6, Tighten the pivot.
7. Remove paper wedge.

This normally does the trick for me.

As far as the detent, if you have already pushed the tab out more on the secondary detent on the liner and it didn't work, not sure how to remedy that. Emerson single detent models are known to have stronger detents.

FYI I love Emerson knives!!!!

David,
Sounds like you have tried most of all the steps I would try.
I have done this little trick on other brand knives in the past and have had good success with the centering of the blade however, it wont do anything for the soft detent.
1. I loosen the handle screws as loose as possible without them coming out.
2. Loosen the pivot screw
3. push the blade over to the side that it's not rubbing
4. Fold a small piece of paper or something that wont damage the blade, and wedge it between the blade and scale.
5. Tighten all the handle screws.
6, Tighten the pivot.
7. Remove paper wedge.

This normally does the trick for me.

As far as the detent, if you have already pushed the tab out more on the secondary detent on the liner and it didn't work, not sure how to remedy that. Emerson single detent models are known to have stronger detents.

FYI I love Emerson knives!!!!
Thanks so much, I will give that a shot.

Take a look at the detent ball(s) under magnification. I have had more than one (EKI's & others) develop a "flat". With a tiny punch (I had to grind one down to get it small enough) I push them thru, into a paint stir stick (or similar soft wood) so as not to lose the ball. Then rotate and press back into the liner/tab.

As for reassembly, I have had good success by carefully clamping the open but slightly unlocked blade in a vise (a Wicked Edge works well here) and applying a bit of torque to the handle in the appropriate direction while retightening the handle screws from the rear first to the front.

Back