Enclosed Handles?

Has there ever, or are there ever plans for a Busse with a hidden tang? I just read a story in American rifleman about a soldier who used his knife to cut a live electrical wire. It seems like you would get fried if you used a Busse for this since your hand contacts the exposed tang and metal handle rivets.

I realize the Basics and other resiprene C handled knives techinically would fit this description, but I was specifically curious about micarta handled knives.

Thoughts?

I would definitely buy a 5-7" bladed Busse or Swamp Rat with a circumferential micarta or g-10 handle. In fact if that ever happens, I'll get two, and you'll see about $10,000 worth of other blades in the exchange the next day :)

there was a battle mistress (edit, meant battle rat) that was custom made with that type of handle... i want to say gundy had it done, but im probably wrong.

i think the reciprene c handles cover that to a degree that hidden full tang micarta handles would be relegated to customs

My thought is that IF this is what you want to do, you'd be best off contacting a custom maker to redo any given Busse model for you. It will be MUCH cheaper and faster. Since you're asking this question I have to assume it willl be a user so you probably would want to spend that much on a Busse custom anyway.

Hmmmmmmm. . . . . . Made it. . . Liked it. . . Still make it . . . . .Might be time for a special overrun. . . .

Let's drink!!!

Jerry

Jerry Busse said:
Hmmmmmmm. . . . . . Made it. . . Liked it. . . Still make it . . . . .Might be time for a special overrun. . . .

Let's drink!!!

Jerry

Jerry,

How about a pic.:D
Oh, and put me down for a couple.:thumbup:

dave

I'll repost what I did in the other thread.

I don't know if anyone has made a micarta enclosed tang, but it would be a major liability exposure for anyone to come out here and recommend the use for "rapid de-energizations".

Only approved and designed tools should be used to work in an electrical environment, and live/hot/powered/energized work is dangerous and should not be attempted.

Better safe than dead.

Jerry Busse said:

Let's drink!!!

Jerry

I am quite sure Jerry is just commenting that he has made a completely enclosed tang blade in the past, not that he recommends the severing of high voltage or any other lines carrying a charge with any knife.

Jerry, if you did an over run on them be sure to engrave a disclaimer on them for would be amateur electricians out there. :rolleyes:

someone mentioned something about the new electrically insulated gerber LMF saving a few soldier's lives because of the insulated handles. I have no idea if this is true or not, but it was posted on the forums.

Walking Man said:
someone mentioned something about the new electrically insulated gerber LMF saving a few soldier's lives because of the insulated handles. I have no idea if this is true or not, but it was posted on the forums.

There is usually some truth to most of the stories coming out of Iraq. (propaganda stories writen by Berkley students posing as Special Forces Rangers are easily detected). IIRC, this is a true story.

Case in point: Snipers, ideally, will set up in a two room concept in urban environments. The front room will look empty to any casual or even interested observer snooping in the window. The sniper will be behind a wall in a second room, observing and firing through a loophole in the back wall of the front room. If a wrecking bar isn't handy, and one usually isnt, the loophole much be created with whatever is handy. That is usually a medium to large combat/tactical/fighting knife (I personally recommend a stout tomahawk). Now you can see the inherent danger of cutting into internal walls. That's where the electrical lines will be, sometimes bare copper wire stolen off of whatever pole the poor bastards found it on.

So for whatever reason you may be hacking into a house, electrical insulation needs to be a consideration.

Some people will laugh at the remotness of that necessity, but just realize that most people also laugh at all of us buying 1/4" thick infi, since that is waaaaaay overkill for tomatos. Consider the environment before passing judgement.

Micarta and G-10 aside, I'd even pay good money for a Resiprene handled Busse HOSJT. I'm kicking myself in the arse for not getting JG to pick up a scrapyard ripper for me when I had the chance...

Walking Man said:

Yup, it is true, it's on page 20 of the July issue of American Rifleman, like I said in my original post.

Does anyone have a picture of the knife Jerry did in this style?

I'm thinkin' it's the Tali Whacker. If someone donates me one, I'll jam it in a light socket:thumbup: :eek: :D

Now you can see the inherent danger of cutting into internal walls. That's where the electrical lines will be, sometimes bare copper wire stolen off of whatever pole the poor bastards found it on.

Yeah, of course that's true where most of us'n live, but in areas such as dry third world countries, where most of our sniper-type work occurs these days, the walls are often mud or crude brick or cinder-type block plaster composition or just a curtain. Electrical wiring is sparse and usually on the surface where you can see it, not buried in the wall.

Back